Cost of a hybrid bicycle in Santo Domingo

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Does anyone have an idea of the cost of a hybrid bicycle in Santo Domingo or where there is a bicycle store I can go check prices? I am considering shipping my bicycle down from the USA but the airline charges $200 to ship and $40 for the cardboard box which isn't too bad. My concern is once it is here will I get charged import taxes?

I am only two blocks from the malecon so a safe place to ride is no problem.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
So for us uninitiated what is a hybrid bicycle? Can it walk on water instead just on land?
As far as I know it is a electric bike with pedals also known as a e-bike....on the other hand it might be a moped, power assisted bike

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
So for us uninitiated what is a hybrid bicycle? Can it walk on water instead just on land?

Not quite, it is a mix of a mountain bike and a racing bike. The bike is not really for off road riding and not a bike for racing. More of a ride and cruise type of bike.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You know why you almost NEVER see anyone riding a bike here in the DR????
Because they are all DEAD!
You must understand the danger here?
From drivers,AND the, "So Called" roads!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
You know why you almost NEVER see anyone riding a bike here in the DR????
Because they are all DEAD!
You must understand the danger here?
From drivers,AND the, "So Called" roads!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Actually on the malecon early morning or just after the sun goes down you see a lot of people riding bikes.

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
Actually on the malecon early morning or just after the sun goes down you see a lot of people riding bikes.
Even at 6AM it's dangerous. I remember the story of a woman who was running on the sidewalk on Malecon at 6 AM and she was hit by police vehicle and seriously injured. The driver said he just fell asleep at the wheel, so it was not his fault, as always.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
In the "No Es Mi CULPA" vein, The best excuse I EVER heard from a Dominican driver who killed several people in a car "Accident", was,
"It was not my fault, I was DRUNK"!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
The GUN killed her, not ME!!!
"FISH", "Great Minds"?????
Run Together!!!

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Does anyone even live near the malecon in Santo Domingo to know what goes on there on a daily basis?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

Thanks so much JD, exactly what I was looking for especially since the prices are listed. No doubt I will have my present bike on the next flight down as check luggage. $250 for the airlines and I will see if I can BS my way out of not having to pay import duties. Either way I should still be ahead of the game instead of purchasing here.

I will also check with the door to door shipping company I use to see what they say.

Thanks again for the link, it was perfect.