Internet stick and temp cell phone ?

juniorr

Oct 24, 2013
Can anyone advise if there's a internet stick for mobile internet that's reliable ? Also pay as you go phones and where / how much in Santo Domingo ? I'm going to be for a few months and need to be able to have steady communication for work.

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
For steady communication for work for a few months, without contract, in Santo Domingo I'd recommend WiMax internet from Wind Telecom, they have 3mb/768k prepaid plan for about 3500 pesos/month. You also need to buy their modem (4000 pesos for stand-alone wi-fi access point, or 1800 pesos for USB stick).

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
For steady communication for work for a few months, without contract, in Santo Domingo I'd recommend WiMax internet from Wind Telecom, they have 3mb/768k prepaid plan for about 3500 pesos/month. You also need to buy their modem (4000 pesos for stand-alone wi-fi access point, or 1800 pesos for USB stick).

Wind telecom coverage is very limited, only to Santo Domingo some areas, Santiago, La Romana, San Pedro de Macoris. Not sure if there are in Punta Cana too.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
I recommend buying one in your homeland (Amazon, eBay) that does multiple frequencies and it is unlocked, then you can use it with any carrier and in any country.

(Although those are a bit pricey, if you just come here once and never need it again, it is cheaper to get it here from one of the providers, but those normally don't have all the frequencies for reuse.)

equinn2823

Sep 30, 2013
i use a portable hot spot from orange. the speed is only 3g but it is extremely small and portable. for prepaid cell, i unlocked my att samsung galaxy s3 and bought an orange sim card for $100 pesos then buy the orange cards for $100 pesos each. very
easy.

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
Mobile internet from Orange and Claro is unstable. It works normally for one hour, then very slow for the next hour. Speed is not guaranteed at all. Wind Telecom is different, if you are in the zone of good or excellent signal quality (like center of Santo Domingo), you have your guaranteed 3 mb/768 k speed, if you have that 3mbit plan.

juniorr

Oct 24, 2013
Good info, thanks. I'll be in Santo Domingo specifically, so Wind telecom sounds like the way to go. Just need the service for this trip so won't worry about buying one with a carrier here before I go. Already have one with Rogers in Canada, but their international rates are out to lunch.

I can unlock my Iphone 5 before I leave and get a Orange sim card to use there ? How is there a data package with those cards ?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
.....I can unlock my Iphone 5 before I leave and get a Orange sim card to use there ? How is there a data package with those cards ?

Not sure if it would be good enough for you but why not first get either an Orange or Claro sim card. You can purchase prepaid data packages and use your phone as an hot spot and see how that works.

I don't know about Orange but with Claro you dial *111#, press 2 for services. Then you go through several more menus to purchase your data package. If needed I can give you the detailed procedure or you can ask Orange or Claro when you purchase your sim card. If this works it will save you the expense of purchasing a stick.

You can either top up your phone with one of the online services or just buy the scratch off cards here.

equinn2823

Sep 30, 2013
i used cellunlocker to unlock my phone. orange has prepaid data at $100 pesos a day or about $30 US for a whole month