las canas - sosua

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Hi everyone, a friend of mine would like to spend 4 weeks in Sosua. He's looking for a nice, quiet and safe accomodation. I suggest Las Canas... What do you think, especially in terms of safety?
:)

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Safety wise it is fine, nice pool as well but a LONG walk to town. They do have a shuttle but not sure how often or late at night it runs.

Bob K

bobe531

Mar 26, 2010
Check out D'Piero. About 10 minute walk into town. They have 1 bedroom apartments at a reasonable rate. It is safe and quiet (in a cul de sac off the main road).

BobE

Bunty Miller

Aug 26, 2013
I mean there are guards but its quite accessible , I know of people that have had problems there, but that can be said of a lot of places.

Sometimes its just down to luck

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Your friend will be very well looked after in Las Canas. It has a lot of ammenities and is very friendly. There is a shuttle service to town but not in the evenings so then you need a taxi, about 200 pesos from town to Las Canas.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
The road up to Las Canas, from the highway, can be dangerous at night. I wouldn't walk it alone, for sure.

Correct and I have lived in that area for 9 years. Having said that, there are not many places outside of the town where you should walk after dark.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Las Canas The town put past Veraguas? We have a sometime poster who runs a small hotel there if that is what you are speaking of. I can get his phone number if you wish.
Der Fish

That place is called La Cana, between Veragua and Gaspar Hernandez. The OP was asking about Las Canas, the aparta hotel complex up the La Mulata road in Sosua.

Last edited:

Meems

May 1, 2013
From everything that I have heard first- and third-hand, Las Canas/La Mulata is not a safe place. They love to tout it to foreigners, bc it is secluded and relatively inexpensive. I have a great friend here who was looking for a place for himself and his Canadian gf, and when he asked about security, the agent said, "Well, do you have a big dog?"

It is a long schlep into Sosua; the road getting there, via moto, taxi, etc., is horrific; and it is "secluded." It is very beautiful, and quiet, which is a premium in Sosua. In some parts of the world, secluded is a good thing, but in the 2.5 world of Sosua, it is definitely not a plus. It means that it is well-known to the local ladrones as secluded, and it takes a long time for the police to get there, if they even bother.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Las Canas has the van into town. Everything else has gone down with them over the last few years and many people that owned/rented have left and glad that they did.

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Las Canas has the van into town. Everything else has gone down with them over the last few years and many people that owned/rented have left and glad that they did.

What do you mean? What is happening there?