Let Your Soul Shine

letyoursoulshine

Oct 25, 2013
My name is Rosey, my husband and I are looking to purchase a home in Cabarete. We are from Texas, not sure if this will be a vacation home or full time. A couple questions... We have our on private plane, is their a local airport with possibly hangar space? What are the long term financial benefits to living in the DR?

Thank You

caribeman

Dec 26, 2011
Enjoy meeting new people/cultures
Rosey,

The closest and only real practical airport for Cabarete is POP Puerto Plata. Travel in and out of it is pricey.. would expect same for private.

Well, not sure about your financial status but buying or renting a home here is certainly cheaper. Operating it - may not be - electricity, water operations, maintenance(salt spray etc). Some food and entertainment are less others are not.

Interest rates on CD's here are certainly higher than the US but remember you are in a 2nd world country with its own economic risks. You will find some international banks here that are good - ScotiaBank for an example.

It is a great, unique, fun, frustrating, infuriating, outrageous and adventurous place to live 97.896% of the time.

Ask anything you want. Will try to help. Midwesterner here as well...

oceanspear

Nov 23, 2012
Look in the Rio San Juan or Cabrera area, much better real estate prices, plenty of land and not that far from cabarete...geez you can buy a farm and have an airstrip here for not that much... watch out for the Citations dropping deliveries from Colombia thought !!

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Oh boy, ure own private plane.....
Cant help u out, we dont live in the same world.....

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
My name is Rosey, my husband and I are looking to purchase a home in Cabarete. We are from Texas, not sure if this will be a vacation home or full time. A couple questions... We have our on private plane, is their a local airport with possibly hangar space? What are the long term financial benefits to living in the DR?

Thank You

Rosey:

Why Cabarate? Have you checked out other areas of the country?

LTSTeve

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
Private plane ??? I don't even have a private car !
Don't think we play in the same pool....

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
We have some posters on DR1 that used to work at the POP airport. Perhaps they can help about the private plane question.

I know of several families from Texas that relocated to the north coast to live in retirement.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I remember seeing a grass strip off near Luperon. A grass strip and a windsock. Maybe something more amenable to private planes than Puerto Plata's POP. Can't remember exactly where, but you should be able to bring up a chart on your computer showing it.

Another valuable Fishcake post!
I am surprised you did not suggest Route 5 as a landing strip @ night, it's quite popular amongst narcotrafficantes. POP is fine, not cheap, but I get the sense The OP is not concerned about being frugal, or is a SOCK.