Mangos

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
Myself, I love Mangos and I eat them all the time and I was amazed how Mangos are delicious especially is from DR.

I had noticed many food stores in Florida has Mangos but they are mostly from Brazil or Mexico! Where I can find stores that is imported from DR?

Winn Dixie used had them but not anymore :(

Thanks!

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Hva eyou tried Publux? Publix, forget the spelling..That store had everything as I recall, lived in orlando for 3 Years..May depend on the location..Miami I betcha has a huge area of Spanish foods at their markets

Myself, I love Mangos and I eat them all the time and I was amazed how Mangos are delicious especially is from DR.

I had noticed many food stores in Florida has Mangos but they are mostly from Brazil or Mexico! Where I can find stores that is imported from DR?

Winn Dixie used had them but not anymore :(

Thanks!

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
Hva eyou tried Publux? Publix, forget the spelling..That store had everything as I recall, lived in orlando for 3 Years..May depend on the location..Miami I betcha has a huge area of Spanish foods at their markets

Yeah Publix, thats the spelling lol .. However they don't carry thoses... I did went to Bravo supermarket, all still rom Brazil. I guess I have to go to Miami and find stores since its more chance I guess.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
mangos in DR are seasonal and full season is in the summer. you can buy some outside of the season but the taste is just not the same :)

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
So I have to wait till Summer to have the full tasteful Mangos? Great! Other 9 months to waste and wait !!

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
LOL..or plant your own tree, you have Mango, pop the pit in the ground, get some heat lamps on it for the cold season in FL if you have one..Orlando, Tampa, etc always gets theirs around Feb, drops down to about 45 sometimes cooler..I don't know, may work, give it a whirl...may be fun and profitable, maybe a business in the works ;) My marijuana plants grew..LOL...kidding..

So I have to wait till Summer to have the full tasteful Mangos? Great! Other 9 months to waste and wait !!

May 29, 2006
Check in Hispanic and Asian Markets. Supermarkets usually just carry one variety, the red and green kind. The smaller all yellow ones are sometimes in the Hispanic markets. Haitian Mangoes are suppose to be even better than Dominican ones. Out of season and you are better off buying frozen(usually from Thailand), IMHO... I find frozen is fine for smoothies, salsa and ice cream.

I think most Americans are overwhelmed by how to cut them.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

sorry but yes. there is an off season crop too, around december but much less so. only some trees will give fruits twice a year.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
I have mutiple mango trees on some property that I'll be tending to starting in Feb. Please help me clear up some questions.

1. According to some, mangos are not seasonal, rather it might take a tree to give fruit bi- or tri-annually. True or false?
2. According to some lit I recall reading, some mango fuzz can be infectious. True or false?
3. Haitian mangos have a reputation for quality. These, however, look nothing like the typical mango red/green mango. Why? And why so different from Dominican mangos while grown on the same island?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i live in area called los mangos. for a reason. all mangoes here are seasonal. occasionally i see fruits in the winter as well, but very few trees give this additional crop. but then we only have few types of mangoes here.

bani is dominican mango capital. they have more varieties i can count. mangoes can be large and round or small and long in shape. they can be yellow, red, green or orange. smooth or full of fibers. i would not think haiti could have different trees still. maybe the difference is that in DR mango trees grow among other trees and in haiti they may be stand alone features, seeing their level of deforestation? maybe it is a question of the soil quality.

never heard of infectious fuzz on mangoes.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
i live in area called los mangos. for a reason. all mangoes here are seasonal. occasionally i see fruits in the winter as well, but very few trees give this additional crop. but then we only have few types of mangoes here.

bani is dominican mango capital. they have more varieties i can count. mangoes can be large and round or small and long in shape. they can be yellow, red, green or orange. smooth or full of fibers. i would not think haiti could have different trees still. maybe the difference is that in DR mango trees grow among other trees and in haiti they may be stand alone features, seeing their level of deforestation? maybe it is a question of the soil quality.

Your mangos are certainly a unique stand alone feature!

( . ) ( . )

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013

Tx dv. I backtracked to see if I could find I had read about mango-borne infections and Wikipedia published the following info:

Potential for contact dermatitis[edit]

Contact with oils in mango leaves, stems, sap, and skin can cause dermatitis and anaphylaxis in susceptible individuals.[40] It contains mangiferen, resinous acid, mangiferic acid, and the resinol called mangiferol. Those with a history of poison ivy or poison oak contact dermatitis may be most at risk for mango contact dermatitis.[41] Cross-reactions between mango allergens and urushiol, a chemical in poison ivy and poison sumac that can cause dermatitis, have been observed.[42] Urushiol is also present in mango leaves and stems. During its primary ripening season, it is the most common cause of plant dermatitis in Hawaii.[43] After contacting it, reactions may not be immediate. Eyelids, face, or other parts of the body may even swell because of this. It irritates the skin and may even blister the skin. Also, burning of the mango wood, leaves, etc. should be avoided because fumes could be dangerous.[citation needed]

Maybe a bit over the top, but my level inquiry shows real interest in the mango fruit.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i did not know any of that. gee. i have no known allergies and the immunity level of a viralata so probably i would never even notice any problems.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I have mutiple mango trees on some property that I'll be tending to starting in Feb. Please help me clear up some questions.

1. According to some, mangos are not seasonal, rather it might take a tree to give fruit bi- or tri-annually. True or false?
2. According to some lit I recall reading, some mango fuzz can be infectious. True or false?
3. Haitian mangos have a reputation for quality. These, however, look nothing like the typical mango red/green mango. Why? And why so different from Dominican mangos while grown on the same island?

maybe mangoes are not indigenous to the island, and different species were introduced by different colonizers.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Tx dv. I backtracked to see if I could find I had read about mango-borne infections and Wikipedia published the following info:

Potential for contact dermatitis[edit]

Contact with oils in mango leaves, stems, sap, and skin can cause dermatitis and anaphylaxis in susceptible individuals.[40] It contains mangiferen, resinous acid, mangiferic acid, and the resinol called mangiferol. Those with a history of poison ivy or poison oak contact dermatitis may be most at risk for mango contact dermatitis.[41] Cross-reactions between mango allergens and urushiol, a chemical in poison ivy and poison sumac that can cause dermatitis, have been observed.[42] Urushiol is also present in mango leaves and stems. During its primary ripening season, it is the most common cause of plant dermatitis in Hawaii.[43] After contacting it, reactions may not be immediate. Eyelids, face, or other parts of the body may even swell because of this. It irritates the skin and may even blister the skin. Also, burning of the mango wood, leaves, etc. should be avoided because fumes could be dangerous.[citation needed]

Maybe a bit over the top, but my level inquiry shows real interest in the mango fruit.

this warning is for Americans, who develop allergies to everything. who ever heard of a guy in the caribbean who ever died from eating peanuts?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I see the Palmer listed, we have some of those, but no mention of Gota de Oro [yum!] or banilejo. We've got others, I forget the variety names, but some of them are out-of-this-world!!!!

yes, the mangoes in the DR are out of this world. sadly, they do not have the best mango known to man, the Bombay mango.