tragic transit accident in san pedro

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
I don't know what's wrong with those Daihatsu trucks, but they are involved in a lot of accidents here. Even some of my neighbors and my wife had an accident with Daihatsu truck.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
daihatsu is a popular brand here. and many of those trucks are really old.

this accident really sucks. imagine being hit from behind/side and having your own car hit someone directly and kill them.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
So the two drivers fled because they did not want be held responsible.:tired: Hopefully the police will catch them.

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
daihatsu is a popular brand here. and many of those trucks are really old.
Once I saw how Daihatsu truck tried to brake at high speed and went skidding, I think that those Daihatsu trucks have some problems with brakes, especially when not loaded.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
So the two drivers fled because they did not want be held responsible.:tired: Hopefully the police will catch them.

frankly speaking i'd run as well. i imagine they could have been killed on the spot by an angry mob. or at least seriously hurt.

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
If DR police hit somebody with their truck, they will probably do the same, just run away.

Another point is that with DR law, you will be responsible for hitting the motorcycle even if it's not your fault. So running away is the good option, so nobody can prove that you were at the wheel at the time of accident, so you can declare that the car was stolen and it was not you.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
If DR police hit somebody with their truck, they will probably do the same, just run away.

Another point is that with DR law, you will be responsible for hitting the motorcycle even if it's not your fault. So running away is the good option, so nobody can prove that you were at the wheel at the time of accident, so you can declare that the car was stolen and it was not you.

well, that's true. If you are found to be at the scene of a crime or accident you will be held responsible. But in this case I do hope they are caught because there's deaths involved.

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
well, that's true. If you are found to be at the scene of a crime you will be held responsible. But in this case I do hope they are caught because there's deaths involved.

Well, almost all Dominican drivers drive that way so it's only a question of time when they kill somebody, but sooner or later it happens. So even if those two will get caught, millions of others like them still remain on the road.

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
You been there before huh? LOL

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
Doesn't always work. An accident on Charles DG last week and rear end onto to moped with a pregnant woman. The driver hit the sidewalk in his car and did actually go to the PHQ who brought him back to the scene where he was left for a moment and someone managed to get a baseball bat to his head, dead!
Thes things happen all the time, a tiny few make the news.

The worst thing you can do is dwell on this stuff, it is regular life, air, living and dying, we'd all be shocked by the amount of toddlers killed weekly due to dumbness, even though we know it is high.

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
The worst thing you can do is dwell on this stuff, it is regular life, air, living and dying, we'd all be shocked by the amount of toddlers killed weekly due to dumbness, even though we know it is high.
It's sad when normal people die on Dominican roads due to Dominican dumbness. Those crazy drivers can hit your car one day.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
One of our managerial person's son was involved in hit and run. He was in the hospital for a week at HOMS due to head injury he suffered and he was forced to return home because he just couldn't afford long term hospital bill. Now the crazy thing about this hit and run is they all speculate one family but stupid DR laws make it nearly impossible to capture the suspect without evidence. When he reported it to police it was weeks until someone came for questioning. Went to see lawyers but they told him samething it would be impossible for him to arrest him/them based on lack of hard evidence.

Crazy DR laws...

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
If the driver who killed somebody is a poor Dominican, policias have no reason to find him and put him to jail, because there's no money they can extort from him. But if a foreigner just scratch somebody's pasola, it makes a difference! Now it's time to lock him up and extort some dinero!

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Here's a perfect example of the type of stagnation that will never lead to progress unless the laws are changed.

Many think it's an phenomena that Dominicans flee the scene of an accident as a micro example of the ingrained cultural attitude of never wanting to take responsibility for anything they do. Well, if you're going to be beaten and and put in jail regardless of innocence or guilt, it would behoove the person to flee the scene if at all possible. You can always say "yo no fui" from the comfort of your own home as opposed to a slab on a coroner's table.

The prevailing argument against this is that it's their country and Dominicans should run it how they see fit. This does not allow for outside criticism, which people seem very sensitive to on an overall basis not only in the DR but everywhere. It seems the most difficult obstacle towards true progress is the admittance that there are indeed better ways to do things, and that pointing these things out should not be a declaration of outright denial.

This is greatly exhibited here on threads dealing with politics. If you're on one side, the other side is immediately wrong regardless of the idea. Educated people should be able to come together for the sake of progress without this impediment, but that's when you realize that maybe the self-proclaimed smartest guys in the room aren't so smart after all.

As an example that this does not have to be a cultural inevitability, when I was hit by a car in Washington Heights while riding my bike, there were some Dominicans hanging out right at the corner. They stopped the ambulance that was directly in front of me (how fortuitous was that) and pleaded with the driver to get me.

When the driver wanted to take off, all the while saying "why do I have to wait for the cops? He was the one that hit me!!!" one of the young Dominican cats said to her, "This isn't Santo Domngo. You can't just run somebody over and keep going as if nothing happened".

There was nothing in it for them to do the right thing, and they did so. The way the law is structured helps, and it should be implemented in the DR to help alleviate these types of situations and to help alter the collective mindset that permeates the society overall.

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
a while ago there was a story run in few newspapers about hospital safety. apparently the families and friends of a victim in a car accident often come to to the hospital to finish off the driver guilty of the crime, if he was just injured and his wounds are being attended. newspapers suggested it happens on the daily basis.

you may also remember the article i posted last week about a guy robbing the neighbour and killing him later when he wanted to denounce the crime. as a revenge the family of a dead man burnt down the house of murderer's parents (who narrowly escaped).

in the DR the street justice is swift and cruel. if i were involved in an accident like that i'd run too. and i would not stop until i reached my lawyer. after the first heat is over the family is more than happy to accept cash, rather than your head.