DR Foliage?????

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Foliage in NE USA is awesome this time of year. Just wondering if there is anything that relates in the DR.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
What is foliage???

Foliage refers to the time of year in certain geographic locations when the color of green leaves changes to other colors before falling off for the colder months. Anything akin to this in the DR? In the mountains maybe????

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Fall foliage is great ?

All depends on your opinion.

During a marriage to a Calif girl one time, I transplanted her to southern Ontario.... excellent fall foliage.

She found autumn extremely depressing - everything losing leaves and going bare - it was death to her.
She had never seen snow.....

She cried quite a bit in the fall...... eventually, I bought her a ticket to California

One way

mainegal

May 22, 2012
Absolutely gorgeous fall colors now in Maine but getting too cold for me, it's this time of year I always think about going back to DR.

May 29, 2006
I take it for granted in NY. In VT, where there are more maples, it's really in your face.

_MG_9609-L.jpg

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I take it for granted in NY. In VT, where there are more maples, it's really in your face.

@ Peter - You gotta pop a few magic mushrooms, to experience those purples and reds!
I went to Univ in the Southern Tier and used to enjoy those colors.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Jaba Jaba the wokie , oh sorry Jabejuvebtus,

There is nothing quite like it in Dr in terms of fall! But in terms of spring the trip over to Moca is fantastic when the Amapolas come into flower. The whole mountain sides are bright orange. The same happens when the tulip trees flower, the flame trees flower and the Bombacs all flower together- really quite something!

Olly and the Team

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
colors have been significantly muted here in W. Pennsylvania this year. Weather and precipitation thing. October and November are the best months here. SUNSETS ARE MAGNIFICENT. in the Eastern part of the state... Spring is the best season.

In the D.R.... just go to any beach and marvel at the turquoise water and blue sky. any time of the year.

My daughter just moved to southern Fla... and is Jonezin' for autumn. the Admiral and I have been tasked with sending her iPics of the fall foliage.

LOL

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Nope,no bare trees and falling leaves here.... thankfully cos I couldnt cope with gathering up leaves in tne garden, there is already loads to do...

May 29, 2006
Kinda nice... but nature doesn't need the "help" of photoshop enhanced color. shoot it right ... and just enjoy it as it really is.

Apparently, you haven't been to Vermont on a good year!

leaves.ashx

Had a friend in high school who went to Reed College in OR. She was sad that the foliage wasn't very colorful. Her parents sent her a box of leaves..

Last edited:

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
It does look nice around here (Michigan) this time of the year...well for about a month that is and then everything goes to Shytes with every tree bare, gloomy skies, snow and ice for the next 5 months or so. I'm already itching to get out of here.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Jaba Jaba the wokie , oh sorry Jabejuvebtus,

There is nothing quite like it in Dr in terms of fall! But in terms of spring the trip over to Moca is fantastic when the Amapolas come into flower. The whole mountain sides are bright orange. The same happens when the tulip trees flower, the flame trees flower and the Bombacs all flower together- really quite something!

Olly and the Team

Thanks Oily.

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
In places where this happens are nice places to visit, but I don't want to live there.

Eugeniefs

Jan 24, 2008
As we are in the Caribbean, they don't have deciduous trees therefore there isn't the colour change that you get in the northern countries... we have beautiful tropical flowers here but the leaves do not necessarily change like we are used to.. there is some...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
DR is the first and the only tropical country i have ever visited. it has been huge disappointment in terms of nature for me.

coconuts... i thought the water was white (in polish it is called mleko - milk) and tasted like bounty chocolate bars (without chocolate, obviously). WRONG. it's sour and fresh coconuts "flesh" is slimy like a slug. pineapple was exotic and strange, i thought it grew on trees. WRONG. grows like common cabbage :) i thought there'd be flowers. WRONG. no flowers, really, aside form flamboyan (which is gorgeous). i imagined that tropical trees will have flowers like apple/pear/cherry trees in the spring. WRONG. mango, avocado, orange, lime, none have flowers like that. in the movies banana trees are green and lush and standing straight. WRONG. in my garden they have yellow leaves and fall on the ground all the time. banana's "juice" stains like hell and there are giant toads living under the uprooted trunks. at home oranges are, like the name suggest, orange. WRONG. oranges are yellow or green.

i mean, what happened there? why was i lied to? why? WHY?