Most Dangerous Area in SD?

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
I wonder where is the most dangerous area in Santo Domingo?

I was in Simon Bolivar and they are crazy at vary times, lot of shootings, beating, stealing, even crashed the electric pole and caused blackouts often. The person was caught and now less blackouts, just normal light off/on at vary times like I metioned in other thread.

Any bad experience you have lately? I want hear your stories.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Why would you go to crappy areas? Do you do the same when you're back home?

15 years living in Santo Domingo and never had a problem.

Why don't you focus on the good areas and keep away from the chopos!

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Wherever the police set up a roadblock after midnight. It usually costs you money to be left alone (Ah, pero ut? eh de lo mio).
Besides that, nothing really dangerous if you stick to common sense practices, IMO.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Do you mean to live or to just pass by. If to live stay away from barrios and if to
just pass by the barrios dress down, no flashy clothes, jewelry and you'll be just fine.

I 've been to so many barrios in SD I've lost count over the years.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I really do not think your going to get many stories from anyone here about their experiences in the "dangerous areas". It is a common sense thing, did not do it back home, why do it here.

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
Santo domingo East is a bad example, that is a large area with some very nice areas to live, much nicer than this side of the river in fact. You can't go far here without pass through a bad area. Your question is really, where are you most likely to come across trouble, and that would simply be where you don't belong. I've had little bits of concerns, but the only time I've had a gun pointed at me was in what is considered a rather decent area, miramar. But on the other side of the road you have a seriously rough barrio.
If in in a bad area then I rarely get out of the car, even if I need to stop for something I make them come to me.

If you carry yourself with enough confidence then you won't have any trouble, nothing good EVER happens after dark here, it's generally not a good place to live to be honest, I will never get my head around why people move into the city if they have an option. Worst city I've ever lived in so unless you have to, then I'd think hard about committing to anything. No matter how much cash you have, or where you live within, you can't avoid the BS.

Combo

Mar 29, 2011
Is the area near Avenida Venezuela bad? I went to some excellent clubs there last year (Euphoria was the only name I remember). I felt safe in and around the clubs, but the surrounding area seemed very rough.

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
Is the area near Avenida Venezuela bad? I went to some excellent clubs there last year (Euphoria was the only name I remember). I felt safe in and around the clubs, but the surrounding area seemed very rough.

It's alright, the other side of the highway is rough but over the back of Venez is safe enough, at least down to the gas station. Around the courthouse there are some nice cheap properties.

Combo

Mar 29, 2011
It's alright, the other side of the highway is rough but over the back of Venez is safe enough, at least down to the gas station. Around the courthouse there are some nice cheap properties.

Thanks Smart. I really love that street. I actually found some very good NY Style Mambo dancing there, as well as, of course, great Bachata. However, I'm not sure I would suggest just anyone go there.

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
Thanks Smart. I really love that street. I actually found some very good NY Style Mambo dancing there, as well as, of course, great Bachata. However, I'm not sure I would suggest just anyone go there.

You're right, your Northcoast flip flop brigade wouldn't last 2 seconds on Venez. (No offense Northcoast flip flop brigade)