Boeing 787 in PUJ

DominicanBulgarian

Sep 14, 2009
Various flight tracking sites showed Thomsonfly using the Boeing 787 in their LGW-PUJ-LGW route on November 1st. Is this the first time that a Boeing 787 lands on Dominican soil?

DominicanBulgarian

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
no way a 787 has landed here? has it?

s12oi0.jpg

2ytpmbm.jpg

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Various flight tracking sites showed Thomsonfly using the Boeing 787 in their LGW-PUJ-LGW route on November 1st. Is this the first time that a Boeing 787 lands on Dominican soil?

DominicanBulgarian

I believe you are 100% correct. I didn't bother to search for the inbound flight but if a 787 departed from PUJ surely it had to arrive first.

miks20.jpg

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Thomson had last year announced they were going to receive and start using 787 in Nov 2013, but after all the troubles I thought they might delay it.

To be honest I do my best to avoid 787 for now, it needs a few more years to fix all the problems - I mean, this is not Windows 8 for-pete-sake, scary having a plane which catches fire while sitting idle on the tarmac in the airport !? And all that mess with batteries....!

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
Does everyone really look at the type of aircraft they are going to be on, I could be buying a ticket into a paper airplane and I wouldn't notice as long as the price is right.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Does everyone really look at the type of aircraft they are going to be on, I could be buying a ticket into a paper airplane and I wouldn't notice as long as the price is right.

Well, only if it could be Airbus 380 or something like Boeing 787 (to avoid). I flew A380 this year for the first time and it was fantastic...

Most other modern planes are very similar really...

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012

Buy good insurance and pack light....:nervous:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
due to my motion sickness on a plane i am always drugged beyond caring. on shorter flights i sometimes slip into drug induced coma before take off. of well.

forgot to ask, what's so amazing about 787? i don't know about planes but always happy to learn new stuff.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
due to my motion sickness on a plane i am always drugged beyond caring. on shorter flights i sometimes slip into drug induced coma before take off. of well.

forgot to ask, what's so amazing about 787? i don't know about planes but always happy to learn new stuff.

I think there are quite a few important things about the 787

- The fuselage is made mainly of composite materials (mostly carbo-fiber) instead of metal. This makes the aircraft lighter and more resistant and Boeing claims it is 20% more fuel efficient than comparable aircrafts.
- It represents Boeing's proposal for the future. Airbus bet on a mammoth aircraft with the A380, while Boeing bet on a more efficient alternative. The one that outsells the other will probably set the norm for the future. The 787 is not slouch, it can carry up to 330 passengers, although it falls short to the up to 500+ passengers the A380 can carry.
-The engines of the 787 are supossed to sport ground breaking technology that makes them not only more efficient, but also a lot quieter.
- The 787 represents the first time in decades that Boeing has Airbus playing catch up. Airbus Announced the A350 which is designed to compete with the 787.

Time will tell.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
all of this is interesting. so, size wise it is not large, therefore it could land here, right? how about range? shorter flights only? transatlantic?
many years ago i flew from SD to paris in one of those two floor planes. so massive. and so empty. i slept on 4 seats. on the way back we were squeezed like sardines in a tin, thou.