Hiring a driver - Santo Domingo to Pedernales (and back)

Eve Weinberg

Nov 4, 2013
Hi! My boyfriend and I want to get from Santo Domingo to Pedernales on Jan 2nd. We'd like to take our time and stop anywhere along the way that we like, so we want to either hire a driver or rent a car.

Any suggestions on a driver or company?
Do we need to hire someone with a 4-wheeler?
Any indication of price range on this?
Is renting a car easier?
Do we need a car to get to all the great beaches, parks, and wildlife in Pedernales?

We also need a ride back to the Santo Domingo airport on Sunday Jan 5th, leaving Pedernales at 7:30am.

Thanks!
Eve

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
A lot of touring - very small window.

Folks, you are trying to cram a lot of touring into a very small window of time. But, it can be done. You should plan where along the route you wish to visit. There are must visits, Bahia de las Aguilas and Hoyo del Pelempito. Along the route to Perdernales you can make stops at Rio Los Patos near Baharona and Laguna de Oviedo. Please be aware Hoyo del Pelempito may require a 4X4 to get to the edge of the canyon as there are parts of the single lane access road that are questionable for 4x2 passage.

Renting a car may allow you more independence for your trip as getting to Perdernales is managable for a seasoned driver once you get beyond the Santo Domingo chaos. If you are to rent, make your reservation soon as your travel dates are at the height of the holiday periods. If you hire someone be very sure of who your are dealing with. Some of the other long time posters may be able to assist you secure a driver if needed. Also, getting back to the holiday season, be sure you secure places to overnight, a lot of Dominicans book rooms for the holidays, rooms will be in short supply.

Please be very aware, signage if any along Dominican roads can be confusing. Allow yourself some cushion time in your travels for the I am lost moments.

Good luck and regards,

PJT

Eve Weinberg

Nov 4, 2013
Thx! Could you recommend a 'secure driver' with a 4x4? I would really appreciate that.
Is it more crucial to book the Pedernales hotel or the Santo Domingo hotel right away? (or dod you mean both?)

Once we are in Pedernales, can we easily get a ride back down to the beaches of Bahia de las Aguilas, or to a hike in Parque Nacional?

Eve

Aug 6, 2006
Check out the Rough Guide to the DR. I think you need to take a boat to get to the Aguilas beach from Cabo Rojo. Go with a fisherman.

herbnallison

Nov 11, 2005
Here's what I did...

Going by boat would be easier, but you can get to the Bahia de las Aguilas with a four wheel drive vehicle on a dirt road coming from the west. There is a very steep hill that you have to descend to get there. Before you go down the hill get out of your car and look down it. If you think you will be able to get back up then you can drive down to your very own and very private miles long beach. When I went I was the only person there for days. On the west end of the beach you can see thousands of conch shells piled up by the hurricanes over the eons. Quite beautiful. Take lots of drinking water. Here's a pic I took from the top of the hill.
sterrato_spiaggia_media.jpg

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
When I went to Bahia de Las Aguilas I got out of the vehicle, looked down at the steep hill and said "Yeah, I can do that". Not!, the way down was a breeze, on the way back up the 4x4 got stuck on the huge boulders and had to be rescued. I admit I'm not the greatest 4x4 driver out there, but I learned my lesson. Next time, I'll take the boats at Cabo Rojo to Bahia de Las Aguilas, thank you.

Aug 6, 2006
It sounds like the difficulty of this road (and I have not been there) likely depends on the degree of mud that one might encounter. Rather than risk getting bogged down in the middle of nowhere, I personally think I would take the boat. But others are more adventurous than I, and surely better at driving a 4X4.

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Eve,

I have a taxi friend in SD, can handle your needs while there and to the airport, speaks English as well..If you want his number just PM me..

Anthony

Hi! My boyfriend and I want to get from Santo Domingo to Pedernales on Jan 2nd. We'd like to take our time and stop anywhere along the way that we like, so we want to either hire a driver or rent a car.

Any suggestions on a driver or company?
Do we need to hire someone with a 4-wheeler?
Any indication of price range on this?
Is renting a car easier?
Do we need a car to get to all the great beaches, parks, and wildlife in Pedernales?

We also need a ride back to the Santo Domingo airport on Sunday Jan 5th, leaving Pedernales at 7:30am.

Thanks!
Eve

Eve Weinberg

Nov 4, 2013
Thx so much!! Love this pic. I think i'll avoid the car/hill, bc of 'Castle's response below. So, how exactly would I get to the boat + fisherman to take us to Bahia de las Aguilas? Would I find him in Pedernales or Cabo Rojo? Would we then spend the night on the beach of Bahia de las Aguilas? Where should we sleep each night? Where should we leave our car parked while we're on the beach?
Thx! I have so many questions. Truly appreciated.

herbnallison

Nov 11, 2005
If you hire a boat in Pedernales keep in mind it's quite a distance to Bahia de las Aguilas. It will cost you quite a bit, but more importantly arranging a return trip may be very iffy - you may be stranded. I suggest just parking near the fisherman's caves at Poblado de la Cueva de los Pescadores and making arrangements with one of the fisherman there (and family) to guard your car and hire them to take you in their boat on the short trip around the cliffs to the beach. They'll probably be happy to do it for $500 pesos and a case of Presidente. Tell them what day you want to return and they'll probably show up on that day. Worst case scenario you may have to walk a few miles back to your car from the beach.

I can't speak for them personally but here's a googled hotel with tour partners in Pedernales: Hostal Do?a Chava ||| Inicio if you want to do that. Barahona is a much nicer town to stay in for a home base Hotel La Saladilla Beach Club - Barahona - Rep. Dominicana with the same tour deals. Google them.

Check out the maps on google earth to get an idea of the area. Here's where the fishermen (that live in the cave) are: https://plus.google.com/113477360459805931947/about?gl=us&hl=en

There are other marvelous sights in that part of the DR but it sounds like you may only have enough time to spend a few days at the beach. Beautiful coniferous forest (looks kinda like Colorado), fantastic bird watching, amazing scenery, etc.

Just so you know - at Bahia de Las Aguilas you will be ON YOUR OWN. You will only have what you bring with you - including water. Period. (except for firewood). You will probably be there alone so consider that may be dangerous if something bad happens. I suggest you do this only if you are an adventurer who can take care of themselves in difficult situations. But - it's also a chance to spend a few days in paradise.