noise laws

Britcouple

Aug 13, 2009
Could Snr Guzman please state what the law is regarding noise from bars (eg acceptable noise level and times permitted) and also how to take action to have loud music stopped. Many thanks.

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
I'm sorry, feel like I'm not in the DR reading this..Does such a law exist here? I asked this question a few times with friends, they just laughed..I think you will need to address your issues on your own in a friendly way..Go there, talk with the owner/Manager and/or neighbor etc...Maybe tell them that you have a new born baby at home, try getting some empathy...But curious if Mr Guzman will reply, see what he says..

Good subject!

Anthony

Could Snr Guzman please state what the law is regarding noise from bars (eg acceptable noise level and times permitted) and also how to take action to have loud music stopped. Many thanks.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Of couse the law exists. I believe the music can be no louder than 9O decibels. The Politure have the reader and are suppose to use it but they don't. I saw it once 2 years ago.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Of couse the law exists. I believe the music can be no louder than 9O decibels. The Politure have the reader and are suppose to use it but they don't. I saw it once 2 years ago.

2 years ago. yes. it has probably been broken since the day you saw it. no sirve.

Britcouple

Aug 13, 2009
I'm sorry, feel like I'm not in the DR reading this..Does such a law exist here? I asked this question a few times with friends, they just laughed..I think you will need to address your issues on your own in a friendly way..Go there, talk with the owner/Manager and/or neighbor etc...Maybe tell them that you have a new born baby at home, try getting some empathy...But curious if Mr Guzman will reply, see what he says..

Good subject!

Anthony

That is exactly what I am trying at present, the nice appoach, we have even been into the bar for a drink and a chat with him. Now it is just LOUD instead of a window shaking F**kin hell it must be an earthquake! type noise.
As my wife and I are retired I don't think we will get away with the 'new baby' scam! lol.
I don't really mind during the day, it's the night time Till 1 or 2am that I have the problem with.

I'm getting old and need my sleep! :tired:

That is exactly what I am trying at present, the nice appoach, we have even been into the bar for a drink and a chat with him. Now it is just LOUD instead of a window shaking F**kin hell it must be an earthquake! type noise.
As my wife and I are retired I don't think we will get away with the 'new baby' scam! lol.
I don't really mind during the day, it's the night time Till 1 or 2am that I have the problem with.

That really must suck! I rented once for 5 months and it was horrible b/c of noise above and below us. It drove me nuts because people below would crank their surround sound and my floors would shake and they had it on day and night!
I will NEVER rent again because of that experience!
I hope you can find some kind of way to make them shut up!!!
I always used ear plugs but it still didn't help!
When people screw with my beauty sleep i go ballistic! (I need all the help i can get ;-) )

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Crap, that does suck..Sound barrier walls should help:dead: Whelp, maybe call the police and pay them as a thank you for coming out to solve your problem. but then of course the owner gives them a few drinks on the house, next thing ya know, your being locked up for making a phony complaint and bribing a cop.. Time to move? Its hard finding a good place with the, no water, loud music, dogs barking, being robbed or getting killed.

Maybe file a complaint with the Justice Dept?

Ant

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
At what about some freaking roasters that sing from 5 am to 9 pm ???? Don't they ever sleep ??

And the freaking motos and others that roam the streets at all around of the night, making as much noise at possible ???

I am going crazy because of the noise in POP.... where could I go to live, but with at least the minimal services one can expect ??

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
where to live without noise?

At what about some freaking roasters that sing from 5 am to 9 pm ???? Don't they ever sleep ??

And the freaking motos and others that roam the streets at all around of the night, making as much noise at possible ???

I am going crazy because of the noise in POP.... where could I go to live, but with at least the minimal services one can expect ??

We had perfect quiet in our home in Canada, and months of cloudy weather, and months of living inside in heated conditions and months of snow and cold. Now we have sun, enuf that we exist only on solar power, I sit outside and watch glorious sunrises and sunsets. We have magnificent views in the hills above Abreu (near Cabrera). Our nearest neighbours are barely in view. But we have roaming chickens and dogs that serenade us nightly. Our roosters start at 2 or 3,- they don't wait till 5! Somehow we now sleep thru the noise,- this IS a noisy country! We do adapt believe it or not!
If you moved to a less populated area you would have a little less noice but never the total peace that you might be craving

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Believe me, I had to face those issues in the past, there is only 1 real solution: MOVE!

Find another neighborhood where there is NO bar/disco/loud neighbor... It is VERY rare. That might mean some sacrifices.

Don't even bother with trying to solve the noise issue, it is bigger than you and me. Move as far as you can. It works! I did it, almost 6 years ago now, I don't look back, as I have my life back again.

dropshort

May 18, 2008
A sound level of 90 db for more than 15 minutes WILL cause a permanent hearing loss!
Most sounds levels in RD are louder than 90 db. A 100 db sound is 10 times louder than a 90 db sound.

The theshold of pain is 138 db (jet engine?) 6 inches from the breech of a 105 mm Howitzer at charge 7 is 178 db.

For the math wizards that is 10,000 times the threshold of pain/jet engine.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
There are laws but eve if they are enforced for a while the noise will be back.If it's much before 11pm it's unlikely that the Politur will do anything if it's a regular bar. Loud music is considered 'normal', even on a secluded beach on a Sunday.

The DR is the noisiest place I've lived so far with 1000+W car systems, dozens of dogs barking,motos with no silencers, bars and just people talking extremely loud sometimes, etc..

The locals do like noise ,for sure.

My solution was soft ear plugs for sleeping whilst I found a quieter place to live.

I still keep the ear plugs handy though.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Noise and music are part of the culture. For those who can't tolerate it, there are many planes leaving each day. We are visitors here, adapt of leave....it's very simple.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Actually things are changing and a group set up by disgrunted neighbours in the Colonial Zone has successfully managed to shut down several bars and clubs there who were making noise in a residential area.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/494585880559451/

Medio Ambiente are the people to contact and they will advise you what you/they can do. Medio Ambiente in POP are on A B Montanez, tel: 809 586 7761. If you don't speak Spanish then call after 2.30 you can talk to Carlos Sinque and he speaks english and can advise you.

Matilda

Feb 7, 2007
From a legal document:

VISTO, Ley No. 287-04 ? Ley Sobre Prevenci?n, Supresi?n y Limitaci?n de Ruidos Nocivos y Molestos que Producen Contaminaci?n Sonora;
VISTO, Ley No. 64-00 - Ley General sobre Medio Ambiente y Recursos Naturales;
VISTO, Ley No. 42-01 ? Ley General de Salud;
VISTO, Normas Ambientales para la Protecci?n Contra Ruidos, No. NA-RU-001-03;

We have been struggling against a similar "bar" in the 100% residential neighborhood in Higuey. Past 8 pm the only thing you hear are dogs barking and this frikkin bar. They have local medio ambiente in their pocket because the owner of the structure is friend with Omar Castillo local head of MA AND the son of PRD deputy.

Omar Castillo is a sleazy inept b***d who ran for PRD when they sacked him he turned to PLD and they made him some vice-something during Leonel years and since this year he has been in Medio Ambiente for La Altagracia province. In spite of all the "connections" the owner of the structure has (who is not the same as operator of the bar) THERE ARE people who still can resolve, because they are not aligned along those particular lines. So we are now dealing exclusively through the Fiscalia de Medio Ambiente in La Romana.

Plus, you are also left with an option to go straight to Santo Domingo, you can go to Procuraduria General de Medio Ambiente in La Feria, to the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment (Medio Ambiente) in SD as well as directly to the Ministry of Interior and make communication to Minister Fadul. Also, La Z101 is a good option to "open the doors" to respective high offices... these are our options yet to take.

The bugger owner had big mouth and revealed a lot of info, so now we know whom "not" to contact. We had a petition of over 30+ signatures. When finally Fiscalia de Medio Ambiente from la Romana went in to make their own measurements (the measurements made by local medio ambiente were never signed and no Acta was given to the owners, guess why) the place was closed for remodelling. The thing is complicated that they seem to change "administration" and "name" frequently which complicates things because a process has to be exhausted in order for a Judge to sign closure order. In this struggle it's me + 2 more dominicans joined together, neighbors, one of them is a wife of the guy who owns all the lots in the neigborhood (it was their hill and they made a residencial out of it). if you want I can email you the copies of the documents we filed, maybe you can use them as a format.

Britcouple

Aug 13, 2009
We had perfect quiet in our home in Canada, and months of cloudy weather, and months of living inside in heated conditions and months of snow and cold. Now we have sun, enuf that we exist only on solar power, I sit outside and watch glorious sunrises and sunsets. We have magnificent views in the hills above Abreu (near Cabrera). Our nearest neighbours are barely in view. But we have roaming chickens and dogs that serenade us nightly. Our roosters start at 2 or 3,- they don't wait till 5! Somehow we now sleep thru the noise,- this IS a noisy country! We do adapt believe it or not!
If you moved to a less populated area you would have a little less noice but never the total peace that you might be craving

We live in sabaneta so it is less populated, and we have 2 acres of land so we are about 70 or 80 meters away from the bar and we are the closest house to it. All was perfect until 2 weeks ago when the bar opened :-(

Britcouple

Aug 13, 2009
From a legal document:

VISTO, Ley No. 287-04 – Ley Sobre Prevenci?n, Supresi?n y Limitaci?n de Ruidos Nocivos y Molestos que Producen Contaminaci?n Sonora;
VISTO, Ley No. 64-00 - Ley General sobre Medio Ambiente y Recursos Naturales;
VISTO, Ley No. 42-01 – Ley General de Salud;
VISTO, Normas Ambientales para la Protecci?n Contra Ruidos, No. NA-RU-001-03;

We have been struggling against a similar "bar" in the 100% residential neighborhood in Higuey. Past 8 pm the only thing you hear are dogs barking and this frikkin bar. They have local medio ambiente in their pocket because the owner of the structure is friend with Omar Castillo local head of MA AND the son of PRD deputy.

Omar Castillo is a sleazy inept b***d who ran for PRD when they sacked him he turned to PLD and they made him some vice-something during Leonel years and since this year he has been in Medio Ambiente for La Altagracia province. In spite of all the "connections" the owner of the structure has (who is not the same as operator of the bar) THERE ARE people who still can resolve, because they are not aligned along those particular lines. So we are now dealing exclusively through the Fiscalia de Medio Ambiente in La Romana.

Plus, you are also left with an option to go straight to Santo Domingo, you can go to Procuraduria General de Medio Ambiente in La Feria, to the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment (Medio Ambiente) in SD as well as directly to the Ministry of Interior and make communication to Minister Fadul. Also, La Z101 is a good option to "open the doors" to respective high offices... these are our options yet to take.

The bugger owner had big mouth and revealed a lot of info, so now we know whom "not" to contact. We had a petition of over 30+ signatures. When finally Fiscalia de Medio Ambiente from la Romana went in to make their own measurements (the measurements made by local medio ambiente were never signed and no Acta was given to the owners, guess why) the place was closed for remodelling. The thing is complicated that they seem to change "administration" and "name" frequently which complicates things because a process has to be exhausted in order for a Judge to sign closure order. In this struggle it's me + 2 more dominicans joined together, neighbors, one of them is a wife of the guy who owns all the lots in the neigborhood (it was their hill and they made a residencial out of it). if you want I can email you the copies of the documents we filed, maybe you can use them as a format.

Thanks, I may get in touch with you if the nice approach doesn't work.