Beware of banks charging interest

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
We have two credit cards of Banco Popular. Both are on my wife's name and I have a duplicate of one of them. In practice I am the one making sure they get paid on time, and I always pay on time and in full. Last month I almost forgot to pay one of the cards and paid it on the last day.

Today I noticed they are charging 4300 pesos interest on one card (the one I paid on the last day) and 2500 on the other card (which I paid three days before due date).

I called the bank, they checked and said I was right (only for the card of which I have a duplicate, but I'm sure the same will happen with the other card), but that my wife has to go to their office to claim the interest. I asked why she has to lose two hours in a bank office if he already confirmed I was right, but that's a kind of procedure for which you have to go in person with your id to get it fixed (like if there is a security risk to handle it without the card holder in front of you).

My question is though: how is it possible that this goes wrong? The statement of the cards clearly shows that I paid the balance in full on dates within the time limit. My conclusion: they do this on purpose, expecting people won't notice or blame it to having paid too late, and if they do notice the bank will blame it on a glitch of the system due to the difference of the transaction date and the date it enters in the system. Too bad I am even closer fisted than a bank and they won't get my money that easy.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Too bad I am even closer fisted than a bank and they won't get my money that easy.

my eyes slipped over this last sentence and i read "i fisted a bank". was just about to write to applaud you...
anyways. we have credit cards with popular for many years and it has never happened to us. maybe it is a genuine mistake. however, dominicans some them some bureaucracy and yeah, it takes time and effort to set things straight.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
my eyes slipped over this last sentence and i read "i fisted a bank". was just about to write to applaud you...
anyways. we have credit cards with popular for many years and it has never happened to us. maybe it is a genuine mistake. however, dominicans some them some bureaucracy and yeah, it takes time and effort to set things straight.

I googled a dutch expression for that....I knew some kind of reaction would come....expected it from CCCC actually....

If it's a genuine mistake I am visualizing a bunch of kids, just graduated in 'administration de empresas' calculating the interest of each cardholder by hand....

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i believe you were looking for an expression "tightfisted" which also holds a certain appeal.

a friend of mine teaches accounting in PUCMM and you are not far behind with your theory, judging by exam papers i see her check ;)

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Popular always finds a way to trick you. This is the way they've always been.

Eugeniefs

Jan 24, 2008
I have to say that you have done well with keeping a tightfisted hold on your money.... I have heard so many horror stories with Banco Popular, that I am surprised it is still 'popular'. But it is and it will still try and catch you out, particularly those who are overseas for some of the time.

I bank with Banco Caribe and have to say that they have been really good with me (been with them for over 5 years now) and when I finally succumbed to a credit card they rang me (whilst I was still in the office) and I had spent approximately RD$50,000 in CEPM... they also double checked when my supermarket bill was large, now they know more or less what I spend and so don't check as often but if I shop in an electrical shop and use my card twice, they ring me immediately. Gotta love that care, I always thank them... but going back to bank charges, so far for me, so good!

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
So far I have been treated pretty good at BPD.

But I am getting some doubts now... Can't imagine a big bank like that needs to cheat its clients...

How about Banco de Reservas? Are there similar stories about this one too?

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
So far I have been treated pretty good at BPD.

But I am getting some doubts now... Can't imagine a big bank like that needs to cheat its clients...

How about Banco de Reservas? Are there similar stories about this one too?

I have been with BanReservas over a decade now. Mostly good service, much better than Popular. Agencies everywhere. But Banco Santa Cruz is my new favorite ;)

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Taking back what I said. Went to their office today, they had already corrected it, maybe after my call but likely after an internal control procedure.