View Poll Results: Before this thread, were you aware the DR was originally 5K km2 bigger?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 42.86%
  • No

12 57.14%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The Original Dominican-Haitian Border

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Borders change all the time. How many adjustments of the US border with Mexico have been made in the last century? Half a dozen at least.
    Der Fish

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by greydread View Post
    Would be willing to bet that the Taino Chiefs knew where their area ended and somebody else's began. No different that areas that were claimed by the Sioux and Comanches, they knew when they were on the other guys patch. You might refer to that as a border.

3. Likes mofongoloco liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

so i bumped into this video following links from the above. the narrator is a german-haitian describing his road trip "back home". He starts out stating he doesn't want to tell the typical story of poverty, violence, etc. Of course, inescapably he does. He touches on all the major themes and does a pretty good job on the history of the two nations. Only a handful of sentences differ between his views and mine.

I'll risk boring you with repetition, but I always look to the voice of our young. The older I get the more I appreciate it. In 20 years this kid is going to be the executive director of something, for sure.

So, if you haven't tired of the topic this guy does a good job. filmed pre-earthquake. comments post-quake.

5. Likes Xavier_Onassis liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Nals, I hope this isn't considered off topic. It does show a stark video depiction of the border. Hopefully that helps.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bienamor View Post
    Would be willing to bet that the Taino Chiefs knew where their area ended and somebody else's began. No different that areas that were claimed by the Sioux and Comanches, they knew when they were on the other guys patch. You might refer to that as a border.
    Excuse me! Would you please put the words back in my mouth. Keeping it 100.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

If it weren't for the French and the Spanish there would have never been a border.
    True. But if it weren't for caribes and arawkas in competition there wouldn't have been a quisqueya or a haiti. The "if it weren't for..." are ad infinitum. (gorgon, did I use this latin term correctly?)

9. Likes greydread liked this post
    Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Derfish View Post
    Borders change all the time. How many adjustments of the US border with Mexico have been made in the last century? Half a dozen at least.
    Der Fish
    True.

After all, Mexico did lose more than half of its original territory. No wonder Americans think border changes is a non-issue.

The million dollar question is, how much land has the USA lost due to border changes?

I hear the crickets already...

Así es bueno...

Moderator Polls Forum

11. Likes greydread liked this post
    Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

If it weren't for the French and the Spanish there would have never been a border.
    If it weren't for the French there would had never been a border.

Lets not forget that for the first time in millenias and for more than 200 years the whole island was under the Spanish flag. Then the French arrived y comenzaron los benditos líos.

The French, Greydead, its really all about the French.

Ever heard a Dominican say 'rebú'? Want to guess the origin of that Dominicanism?

Here is a hint: the French called the Guayubin River Rebouc... and the Spanish insisted that the border was further to the west. In the end the official border was agreed on the Dajabon River and the city of Puerto Real de Bayajá was handed to the French (they called it Fort Dauphin, Haitians call it Fort Liberte). But before that took place, there were many battles between the two as the French continued to expand eastward. The Rebouc was the scene of very violent altercations in more than one occasion.

Rebouc... rebú... Guayubín...

Moderator Polls Forum

13. Likes greydread liked this post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234