Traveling with cash

gas

Jul 28, 2013
What is the recommended place to stash cash when traveling by air? I usually just stick it in my carry on, but I'm not crazy about that idea. I guess the alternative is to carry it on my person, but it's a big wad. I usually don't travel with much cash, but this trip it's necessary.

Chicagoan

May 27, 2011
I just put money in an envelope in my purse, but I only carry about $500. Perhaps, if you will be carrying a large sum, you should think of buying a money belt.

Remember, if you bring in more than $10,000 cash, you are asked to declare it. From what I have heard, that sets you up for being robbed.

Chicagoan

May 27, 2011
I just put money in an envelope in my purse, but I only carry about $500. Perhaps, if you will be carrying a large sum, you should think of buying a money belt.

Remember, if you bring in more than $10,000 cash, you are asked to declare it. From what I have heard, that sets you up for being robbed.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
how much cash? where will you be arriving and what time? what do you look like? You may as well make it easy!......

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
When I travel with cash, I separate it and put into different places and put it in the carry on that goes under my seat (usually my backpack). I keep my wallet in my pocket with my ID, money, etc.

gas

Jul 28, 2013
About $1500 besides what's in my wallet. It's a thick wad cuz I have it broken down in small denominations which in hindsight was a mistake. It's mostly 20s though. I'm coming into SDQ and I look like a gringo from new jersey.

May 29, 2006
$1500 in is 75 $20 bills or less than two bundles... Are you bringing in singles?

Last edited:
May 29, 2006
I keep pushing this portable safe. You'd have to unlock it going through security and then have it locked on the plane. $20 at Tractor Supply. The security cable prevents casual theft. I keep one in my car to cut down on ATM stops. If you forget your key going through security, you're screwed.

Stack-On Portable Security Case with Lock - Tractor Supply Co.

Stack-On-Key-Lock-Portable-Security-Case-P13731839.jpg

What about bringing a cashier's check? Anyone know about cashing them? Or you could sent the money to yourself with Western Union...

Last edited:

gas

Jul 28, 2013
It's too late to change anything now. I have a morning flight and arriving at the airport before 8am.

gas

Jul 28, 2013
If I carry it in my pocket when I go through security, TSA always asks to empty all pockets but I've gotten to hold what's in my pocket in my hand while they scan. Perhaps that's the best idea? I'm leaving from JFK.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
About $1500 besides what's in my wallet. It's a thick wad cuz I have it broken down in small denominations which in hindsight was a mistake. It's mostly 20s though. I'm coming into SDQ and I look like a gringo from new jersey.

not worth the effort. Last time I came in with 10 grand plus what was in my wallet. I don't advertise how much or when to anyone until after Im in. I look like a gringo from NJ also but Im not from there

gas

Jul 28, 2013
Lots of singles which I'll probably forego. My concern is it getting stolen while going through security.

So again, if I carry it through security, will it raise any kind of flags when they tell me to empty my pockets and hold my hands over my head?

May 29, 2006
I knew mongers who would walk around Sosua at night with $1000 cash in their wallets. Not that they had any of it the next day...

gas

Jul 28, 2013
Can we start again, haha...

My concerns are raising flags if I carry it in person and having it stolen if I don't carry it on my person.

May 29, 2006
You could also get one of those hip pouches and wear the bag in front of you. Make sure you get one with an inner zipper. They look dumb, but they work.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
If airport security spots a bulge on you you might not like the pat down and they will inspect it. I usually put it in my backpack and keep a close I on it. The only time it is out of sight is in the xray machine.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
$1500 is not big money. Always carry large bills with a single on the outside of the wad, this will not draw attention at security when you have to hold the wad in your hand. Never have the wad leave your person.. ie bag.

Get pants with hidden zippered pockets. Casual Cargo Pants These pants pockets can take stacks of money unfolded as well.

Never show a wad bulge, never let anyone see you have $100 bills under the $1.

Last edited: