Pernil v Turkey

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Okay, let's hear it. Those of us that have had both for the holidays, and even if you've had one and not the other, please lend your 2 cents, i.e., opinions, recipes, stories, etc. My own opinion is that a turkey is a turkey, no matter how much you baste it. Soooooooo-eeeeeeeeee. :)

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Ha ha! I love this thread! It's an 18 pound turkey for me with sausage, apples and cranberry dressing.;)
I get up at 5 am on Thanksgiving day and make the stuffing. I stuff the turkey and place in oven covered
with aluminum foil and let it sloooowly cook for about 5 hours until the meat falls off the bones.:)

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
For Thanksgiving, a turkey. My son-in-law loves to make Thanksgiving dinner, so I haven't done that in awhile.

For Christmas Eve, always pernil/cerdo asado in DR.

Several of our neighbors were already growing their piggies when we were there in March, to sell the pork for La Noche Buena [Christmas Eve].

grumpy

Sep 22, 2013
Pernil!!! Marinated in wine, orange juice and honey. You must first stab the pernil and fill the little holes with pieces of garlic and thyme, then roast it one our for every two pounds. In my country though, pernil is eaten on new year's eve with other traditional foods.

A few days later (in my family we do it on jan 1st), we shred the leftovers and eat them with arepas and gouda cheese for breakfast. We take it to the next level and drink some champagne and listen to Sinatra.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Pernil!!! Marinated in wine, orange juice and honey. You must first stab the pernil and fill the little holes with pieces of garlic and thyme, then roast it one our for every two pounds. In my country though, pernil is eaten on new year's eve with other traditional foods.

A few days later (in my family we do it on jan 1st), we shred the leftovers and eat them with arepas and gouda cheese for breakfast. We take it to the next level and drink some champagne and listen to Sinatra.

Mmmmmmm!!! Got to try your marination and leftover/breakfast recipes.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

I do the stabs, and fill the holes as described. Do you then pour the wine, juice and honey over top? I'd like to try it!

Which is 'your country' grumpy?

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Arepas = Venezuela???????
Shredded pork = Cuba (Cuban sandwiches) ?????????
Gouda = Holland???????

Final answer/guess = Venezuela

grumpy

Sep 22, 2013
AE exactly, you marinate it overnight (we do it in a big tray and turn it over a few times) or for a whole day.

And yessss Venezuela is correct. It doesn't really have to be Gouda, but a similar cheese. That specific arepa is called "Rumbera" since it's a favourite among people who go to nightclubs and end up really really hungry in the wee hours.

Is there a specific Dominican recipe for pernil?

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
For Thanksgiving, a turkey. My son-in-law loves to make Thanksgiving dinner, so I haven't done that in awhile.

For Christmas Eve, always pernil/cerdo asado in DR.

Several of our neighbors were already growing their piggies when we were there in March, to sell the pork for La Noche Buena [Christmas Eve].

For Christmas this year it will be Pernil and glazed ham.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
AE exactly, you marinate it overnight (we do it in a big tray and turn it over a few times) or for a whole day.

And yessss Venezuela is correct. It doesn't really have to be Gouda, but a similar cheese. That specific arepa is called "Rumbera" since it's a favourite among people who go to nightclubs and end up really really hungry in the wee hours.

Grumpy, this is from a Dominican website, check it out.

Dominican style Pork Roast/Cerdo Asado estilo Dominicano | Delicious Dominican Cuisine

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

My suegra and our maid make it the same way. First they slice thin garlic cloves longways. Make slits all over the meat, and in each slit a thin slice of garlic goes in. Then they run a mix of onion, green peppers, cilantro, oregano in a blender, and then massage/slather it all over the meat. Salt & Pepper. Back into the fridge for 24 hours.

I cook it very low temp for hours. I'm a big fan of Reynold's Cooking Bags - it comes out scrumptious in them - moist and fall-off-the-bone. And you can put it into the bag with the marinade the day before, then just cut slits in the bag before it goes in the oven. Just don't forget to add a few teaspoons of flour into the bag before you put the meat in, or it may burst.

I like the addition of the honey, wine and juice that you suggested, I'm going to try it!

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
What is pernil ?? Sorry for my ignorance.
For me it should be turkey with chesnut stuffing, roast potatoes, brussel sprouts with bacon, black sausage, gravy, loads of desserts with custard.
Last year ( first in dr ) it was homegrown pig ( asado style), rice, abichuela, mixed style....

This year we re going to be only me and my wife, so deceide to "etrenne" the new kiosk in conuco with no luy, candle light only.
Have thought a fondue chinoise, or bourguinone ( oil instead of broth), chicken, duck, beef, porc in xtra fin slices. Found in national in santiago, some 2010 chateau minuty ( best rose wine ever ), for 900 pesos ( kind of expensive since I would of bought it 8 € back home), so that should accompany nicely !!!!!!!!!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
malko, pernil is roast pork, usually a leg. Dominicans in DR don't usually use the word pernil, I think it's more Puerto Rican, but in the US all the latino restaurants call it pernil.

A rose by any other name...... delicious no matter what you call it.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
My famous Pecan Pie;)

1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
4 eggs, beaten
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 unbaked 9-inch pastry shell
1 to 1 1/4 cups pecan pieces or halves

Combine butter, sugar and corn syrup; cook over low heat, stirring constantly
until sugar dissolves. Let cool slightly. Add eggs, vanilla and salt to mixture;
mix well.

Pour filling into an unbaked pastry shell and top with pecans. Bake at 325 degrees
for 50 to 55 minutes.

For rum pecan pie add 3 tablespoons of your favorite rum. Enjoy!:)

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
Oh man... I need glasses, first I read the title of the thread as "penis" vs turkey...
Then I start reading and wonder, what the hell is a pernil ??
Then yes ! Checked on google and found out is was a roasted pork....

Told you I knew nothing about the DR, even after 2 years living here...
BTW, I prefer turkey.