Am I being scammed?/Looking for an Apt

zlj1

Aug 1, 2013
Greetings Everyone!
I have been renting an apartment in Puerto Plata for about 3 months. The first 2 months living there I was told that my rent was $175 USD ($7000 pesos a month) because the exchange rate was 40 at this location. (this place claims that there exchange rates are lower than the city rates):confused: So, I was under the impression that my rent would be "locked in" at 40 due to this being the rate when my lease commenced. However, each subsequent month my rent has gone up at a rate of 175 pesos without notice. Now I know I am not in the U.S. but anytime one enters a contractual agreement the terms and conditions are stated. In addition, if one decides to raise their prices are they not legally obligated to notify the consumers X amount of days before the rate of increase is set into effect? What if I decide that the fair market value of the product is not worth the increase and I want to take my business elsewhere? I also took it upon myself to shop around for the exchange rate for this current month (November) since this place now claims that their rate is 42.35 and I owe them (7,411.25) and that is the same rate of the city! Additionally, these people can take my USD and go into the city and profit $$ because the rate is higher. Charge me $175 *40=$7,000 go to the city and exchange my $175*42=$7,350 that is a profit of $350. (NEVER pay in USD) I know some of you may say that they are only ripping me off $8 but it is the principal at hand. Can someone please tell me how to approach this situation?

I am looking for an apartment in Puerto Plata furnished between $7,000 to 10,000 pesos per month depending on the amenities/utilities included. If you know of any genuine landlords who offer a secure quiet place within this budget please notify me. I have a 2 pound Chihuahua who will be accompanying me. Thanks in advance!!

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
Was your rent calculated in pesos or dollars ??? Don't you have a lease with the monthly rent written on it ??
I live in Puerto Plata and my rent was signed in CDN dollars and we calculated the amount in pesos and that was the amounts that were written on the lease.

I pay the same amount every month (in pesos), no matter the exchange rate...

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
What does your lease say? Does it call for payment in pesos? If it does, I think demanding more pesos because of the exchange rate might be impermissible.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
When it is in Pesos in the contract they can't charge more.

But if it says 175 Dollars and you pay in Pesos of course they can charge you the exchange rate of the day you pay. Nothing wrong with that.

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
HA!!! are you serious!!! its a scam! they can't do that based on rate of the dollar..wtf?? I never heard of it nor would I ever agree to it..Move! live out the lease or lose your money...Where do you live? sounds like you got my old land lord..Myra & Juan?? if so, your electric is next!

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Who would pay in dollar tho, what a pain in the arse as it would be to exchange monies each Month..no thanks, and never heard of it, so I'm glad this thread is here...I will pay in pesos period and Z1, I would get out of there or asked for the lease to be revised, your getting screwed..When I first was thrown into this Inferno, the rate was 32.5 or so back in 2007, now its been between 42% up to 42.3 was the highest I have seen it so far..Thats huge increase!! even better than COLA, not talking about soda either,.Cost Of Living Adjustment

But if it says 175 Dollars and you pay in Pesos of course they can charge you the exchange rate of the day you pay. Nothing wrong with that.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003

That is true, but he should be free to exchange his money where he wants and simply hand over the pesos. They should not be calculating the exchange rate.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Damn, you found a place for only 7000 pesos and the electricity is included? I must have read that wrong?

Here in Cabarete, just my electricity bill is between 7000 and 10,000 pesos a month (depending on A/C usage). My internet is over 3000 pesos a month, and we haven't even gotten into the big expenses.

I want to see this place that only charges $175 a month. PM me, please.

Thanks, Frank

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Its your A/C bro...I have a Portable, used it a few times and when I did? oh baby! my norm of 1,500 or so was now 8000..who knew..then of course add the theft of a Bomba into the mix, forget about it..Your better off running your sir on a gas powered Gen...you will not only pay for the gas with the money you save, I bet food for the Month too..Whats the BTUS anyways?? mine is 12,000 and will not use it for myself..The exhaust blows hot of course, so depending how cold it gets this Year here, I may need to use it for my birds...Also be sure your screens are clean, lots of dirt/dust here in the DR, but you know that ;)

Damn, you found a place for only 7000 pesos and the electricity is included? I must have read that wrong?

Here in Cabarete, just my electricity bill is between 7000 and 10,000 pesos a month (depending on A/C usage). My internet is over 3000 pesos a month, and we haven't even gotten into the big expenses.

I want to see this place that only charges $175 a month. PM me, please.

Thanks, Frank

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
"...Who would pay in dollar tho, what a pain in the arse as it would be to exchange monies each Month..no thanks, and never heard of it, so I'm glad this thread is here..."

Let me enlighten you. I. e. here in Bavaro / Punta Cana most contracts are in USD. And I do pay my rent cash in USD.

At the beginning I paid in Pesos and I had to go by the official exchange rate. When everybody gives 42 and you are dumb enough to let somebody change your dollars for less than that and then expect that your landlord has to accept the lesser amount only b/c you got less when exchanging then it is YOUR problem, NOT the landlord's.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
My rent is in Dollars as well. Always have been. I have never heard of rent on the north coast to be based on anything else but dollars.

But i'm still fascinated by this $175 rent. I want to see this place...is this a tree house?

Frank

caribeman

Dec 26, 2011
Enjoy meeting new people/cultures
zlj,

I just rented or rather funded an apt for my partner in a nearby town. The transaction was - and should be in Dominican Pesos, as we are in the DR(my take). I was nervous because I thunked down all pesos - 2 months deposit and 1st month rent, along with the same for utilites and waited for the papers.

A small, 1 bedroom apt with hot water, no inversor, 500 rd for luz, clean, modern and in town. 4500rd a month.

The entire agreement was professionally contracted by a neighbor attorney, spelling out all the terms. No rate changes, no funky prices. It tells when it started, when it ends, how much we paid, how much for electric, signed by both parties and the attorney. More professional than many transactions in the states, I thought...and I sold RE for 20 years.

Live out the term. GEt the moolah back, if possible and move on is what I would do. It sounds suspect.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
zlj,

I just rented or rather funded an apt for my partner in a nearby town. The transaction was - and should be in Dominican Pesos, as we are in the DR(my take). I was nervous because I thunked down all pesos - 2 months deposit and 1st month rent, along with the same for utilites and waited for the papers.

A small, 1 bedroom apt with hot water, no inversor, 500 rd for luz, clean, modern and in town. 4500rd a month.

The entire agreement was professionally contracted by a neighbor attorney, spelling out all the terms. No rate changes, no funky prices. It tells when it started, when it ends, how much we paid, how much for electric, signed by both parties and the attorney. More professional than many transactions in the states, I thought...and I sold RE for 20 years.

Live out the term. GEt the moolah back, if possible and move on is what I would do. It sounds suspect.

Did i just read this correctly...you found an apt in town (which town) for 4500 pesos (US $107)--including electricity? Can we see pictures of this place? Tell me this is not a tree house?

Frank

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
Did i just read this correctly...you found an apt in town (which town) for 4500 pesos (US $107)--including electricity? Can we see pictures of this place? Tell me this is not a tree house?

Frank
In realestate its all about 3 important things.....location, location, location,

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
no biggie, I pay 8,500 or 200 USD, 2 B/R 1 Bath, Front Balcon, gated dog run that goes around the entire apt, pretty cool for the dogs.....Los Reyes or is it Lost Americans..

caribeman

Dec 26, 2011
Enjoy meeting new people/cultures
Frank,

Yes. Only trees are outside. GH, in town. Lovely place in a four unit building. 1 small 1 BR in back. 2 2BR in front and one unit down. Ceramica floors, typical louver metal windows. Tiled bath, pedestal sink. Standard Dom Rep deal - no stove or refr. Had to make trip to Santiago for it all.
I felt very fortunate - but my partner is Dominican. Not sure I would have got the same deal for me( OMG, fiscal discrimination?!). He did the talking.

zlj1

Aug 1, 2013
Thanks everyone for your responses!! A few of them are quite entertaining (treehouse) lol. I am going to attempt to answer all of the questions in this post. My rent is discounted and in return the owner's receives a discounted fee at my place of employment due to a contractual agreement with a third-party (nothing illegal or sexual) The secretaries always say "If you pay in USD, then it is $175 every month however my dollar is devalued at this location because their rate is lower due to not being in the city. Is the Malecon not considered a part of Puerto Plata? So if I pay them $175 USD they take my money and send it to their headquarters or send someone into the city and exchange my money at a higher rate (and I have a problem with that) Furthermore, I am paid in pesos. I did not sign a lease because the owner performed this "side deal" or "kickback" and I am being told he is "unavailable" and I should consult with his manager. I negotiated a deal with you and now I should deal with your subordinate. GTHOH Regardless of the exchange rate, if we decided that $175 equates to $7,000 pesos then that it what it should be the entire "lease" Not to mention I got robbed at the "safest place in Puerto Plata"
Does anyone know of any apartments here in Puerto Plata?

zlj1

Aug 1, 2013
What does your lease say? Does it call for payment in pesos? If it does, I think demanding more pesos because of the exchange rate might be impermissible.

I am given the "option" to pay either way. However, when I choose to pay in pesos it is always a different price.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Greetings Everyone!
I have been renting an apartment in Puerto Plata for about 3 months. The first 2 months living there I was told that my rent was $175 USD ($7000 pesos a month) because the exchange rate was 40 at this location. (this place claims that there exchange rates are lower than the city rates):confused: So, I was under the impression that my rent would be "locked in" at 40 due to this being the rate when my lease commenced. However, each subsequent month my rent has gone up at a rate of 175 pesos without notice. Now I know I am not in the U.S. but anytime one enters a contractual agreement the terms and conditions are stated. In addition, if one decides to raise their prices are they not legally obligated to notify the consumers X amount of days before the rate of increase is set into effect? What if I decide that the fair market value of the product is not worth the increase and I want to take my business elsewhere? I also took it upon myself to shop around for the exchange rate for this current month (November) since this place now claims that their rate is 42.35 and I owe them (7,411.25) and that is the same rate of the city! Additionally, these people can take my USD and go into the city and profit $$ because the rate is higher. Charge me $175 *40=$7,000 go to the city and exchange my $175*42=$7,350 that is a profit of $350. (NEVER pay in USD) I know some of you may say that they are only ripping me off $8 but it is the principal at hand. Can someone please tell me how to approach this situation?

I am looking for an apartment in Puerto Plata furnished between $7,000 to 10,000 pesos per month depending on the amenities/utilities included. If you know of any genuine landlords who offer a secure quiet place within this budget please notify me. I have a 2 pound Chihuahua who will be accompanying me. Thanks in advance!!

Get a contract/lease.
Pay in pesos.
Live out the deposit.