Sell furniture or not sell all you own for making move

Kathy Stahl

Nov 16, 2013
Hello,
My name is Kathy. My husband and me, and my 90 yr old mama are moving to the D.R. NEXT April.
What is the consensus on selling everything? We are wanting to rent the 1st yr, fully furnished house, 2 or 3 bedroom/ac/. What little stuff should we we bring? We are looking at Puerta Plata, Caberta, or possibly Sousua, in a gated community. Open to any wisdom and suggestions.
Thanks
GOD BLESS
Kathy

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
not of my business, but are you sure you are going to bring your 90 year old mother to a country like this?

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
Kathyy, what I did was to bring my hobbies and clothes. The rest I bought here. I had thought about bringing cooking utensiles but i found that Ikea has fine quality at a reasonable price.

I brought one suitcase with just books four others with beekeeping supplies ... one large suitcase with clothes.

I also brought a 150 piece tool kit - the tools i found here were poor quality.

Kathy Stahl

Nov 16, 2013
yes, i am sure, i cannot put my mama in a nursing home. she is low maintenance, and is excited about a new season in her life. i all ready have a woman who will help me care for her. also, the medical care is better there then here in Ohio. the way yhe U.S. treats the elderly is despicable. I would rather take care of my mama myself, at least I will be able to lay my head on my pillow at night, after all, she did take care of me when i grew up, now it is my turn to be obedient. Also, being very organic, homeopathic in medicine, the warm weather will be another added benefit for her. I will not be one of these children that throw their parents to the curb here in the states, and regretfully, you see alot of that. thank you, for asking. i HAVE PRAYED , sought counsel. and am at peace with this. Also, it is only a 5 hr flight. shes a warrior, and will be able to handle it.
GOD BLESS.

Kathy Stahl

Nov 16, 2013
On the tools, should they be SAE or mm???
Please advise, coming from ohio. What type of 150 piece tool set did you bring??

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
It is a mixed set - Homedepot 70$.

I am from Dublin, OH

I found healthcare to be cheap but I was suprised by the low level of cleanlines. I had 5 stitches last week for 20 $ but no one washed or wore gloves!
W

Kathy Stahl

Nov 16, 2013
thanks, from dayton,!!!! my husband was asking, he has alot of tools, we have been 3 times this yr. each time it was harder to leave. how long have you been there, and may i ask where do you live?
well, if it is any comfort health care here has gone to the dogs, actually animals are cleaner then the humans. sorry to say . my husband an i are both vets. have all ready a doctor for my mom in puerta plata. things seem to be just falling in place. alot of
praying for guidance. have been blessed to meet some really good people so far. and i am sure will continue. any other wisdom, please feel free to offer. thanks
kathy

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
I am living in a rented house i Santiago. I plan to stay for a year or more. Over the last few yeats I have visited for weeks an for monthd. This time for a year. My work experience is IT (40 yrs.) ; I do contract work ocassionally otherwise I loaf. If i can help you get settled call on me.

yes, i am sure, i cannot put my mama in a nursing home. she is low maintenance, and is excited about a new season in her life. i all ready have a woman who will help me care for her. also, the medical care is better there then here in Ohio. the way yhe U.S. treats the elderly is despicable. I would rather take care of my mama myself, at least I will be able to lay my head on my pillow at night, after all, she did take care of me when i grew up, now it is my turn to be obedient. Also, being very organic, homeopathic in medicine, the warm weather will be another added benefit for her. I will not be one of these children that throw their parents to the curb here in the states, and regretfully, you see alot of that. thank you, for asking. i HAVE PRAYED , sought counsel. and am at peace with this. Also, it is only a 5 hr flight. shes a warrior, and will be able to handle it.
GOD BLESS.

Good for her! I wanted to bring my 98 year old gma with us but she refused to come. I hated leaving her in a home but her
Alzheimer's is getting pretty bad :-(

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Kathy, what do you all plan to do to feed yourselves here ?
And, don't put much Faith in the medical system here, and it ain't FREE either!!!
What is your budget for renting a house, paying electric bill, food, medical care, transportation ???
It adds up real fast!
How many times have you visited the DR, and for how long?
Do you all speak Spanish?
These are all important questions you need to address before you move here.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Kathy Stahl

Nov 16, 2013
THANKS TOM,

WE ARE LOOKING AT PUERTA PLATA, CABERTA, OR SOUSA, RETIRING, WANT A MORE SIMPLE LIFE. IT IS GETTING BAD HERE IN THE STATES, MORE THAN PEOPLE WANT TO ACKNOWLEDLEDGE, THINK ITS CALLED DENIAL..... I AM TOTALLY AWARE OF LIFESTYLE CHANGES, ADJUSTMENTS, ETC, HOWEVER, IN HAVING WORKED ALL OF MY LIFE, I WOULD LIKE TO GO OUT WITH A SIMPLICITY, AND PERHAPS HELPING OTHERS THAT ARE LESS FORTUNATE, THAN WHAT I HAVE BEEN. NO TIME FOR NEGATIVE NELLIES. EMAIL: kssnowbird@sbcglobal.net, yes ,please stay in touch. we may need some assistance and knowing people is a good thing. thanks and have a blessed night. k

I gave away most of my stuff before we moved. I wish we didn't! Things here are such poor quality!

Every time I go home I bring 2 or 3 suitcases of good stuff and order things online.

Who makes the brooms here? They are the worst things ever! I used 1 once and it broke!!

I'm not sure this Country has simplicity :)

Kathy Stahl

Nov 16, 2013
hi criss,
we are retiring, yes we speak Spanish, we have been the d.r. several times. i realize what and hear what you are saying, we have spent a yr researching, not only the d.r. , however other countries as well. kept coming bk to the dr. i am totally aware of medical there, however i am a homeopathic practitioner, so i do alot of our own health care. also, i was there recently for medical treatment after being misdiagnosed for 3 yrs here in the states, and came bk cured. so, ?? i guess what it comes down to is how happy and free do you wish to be, and are you wanting to live a different life style. we are. its not always about the almighty $$$$, like here in the states. you have pros and cons every where you are, im sure you would agree. having less can be a more positive then the negative, especially when you have faith. the cost of living here is 2 fold of what it will be there. i am grateful for your feed back and concerns, i am sure we will be fine, as well as our best is yet to come.
GOD BLESS, and feel free to offer any more wisdom, if i have not thought of.
kathy

Kathy Stahl

Nov 16, 2013
thanks ya'll! its nice to know there are others who understand and have faith. GOD is in control and my mama will be great. at least when she goes to her mansion, she will be with me and not alone .
kathy

Kathy Stahl

Nov 16, 2013
harley,
we are getting rid of the big stuff, bringing the little stuff, kitchen, books, tools, by the way they make bad brooms here to.lol.
just need to find a place!

kathy

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
thanks ya'll! its nice to know there are others who understand and have faith. GOD is in control and my mama will be great. at least when she goes to her mansion, she will be with me and not alone .
kathy

Kathy, I admire you for not wanting to leave your mom behind, alone in a nursing home.

No matter what happens you will be there for her. Everything will be all right.:)

Seems like you've done you're homework.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
From the USA, bring sheets, towels.

That was my first thought, along with decent knives and (unless you go to Puerto Plata and hook up with Gorgon's friend at La Pulga) decent pots and pans too.

I also brought crystal glasses, printer ink, a toaster-oven and hair supplies (color, developer, tools, etc).