Wheelchair Traveller

Case

Nov 17, 2013
Hello Everyone,

i am travelling to STI and I can't get out of my wheelchair. The chair and I weigh ~265 Kg around 580 lbs. Does anyone know of wheelchair transport to Santiago?

Thank you,

Case

Last edited:

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Welcome Case. Are you going from the airport to a hotel? Perhaps they can assist you in finding transportation. Unfortunately I have not found the DR to be handicap friendly. Hopefully somone who lives in Santiago can assist you.

LTSTeve

Case

Nov 17, 2013
I never noticed a wheelchair vehicle either

Welcome Case. Are you going from the airport to a hotel? Perhaps they can assist you in finding transportation. Unfortunately I have not found the DR to be handicap friendly. Hopefully somone who lives in Santiago can assist you.

LTSTeve

Thank you,

Good idea... I'll call the hotel I've stayed at in the past... unfortunately I've stayed there for weeks before and even lived in the dr for a couple years before I was this wheelchair reliant and I never noticed a wheelchair vehicle either.

I look for them as well and I never see any. I used to help drug addicts and some had those electric monster wheelchairs. The police and Ambulance would call us to pick them up. They are damn heavy!!
I wish you much luck in finding something!
This Country is so not set up for that kinda thing which is weird since I see SOOOO many people with no legs!!!!

I also notice because my wife was in one for a year so i am a lot more conscious of what people with disabilities go through!!

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
No promises, but I have some contacts among the tourist transportation people in Puerto Plata. I spoke to someone this afternoon, explained what you need and that it is for Santiago. He has friends in the business in Santiago and will ask around. He'll get back to me if he locates anyone with a wheelchair van.

Case

Nov 17, 2013
Any trying input would be appreciated.

I was thinking I might be able to buy and bring a 10 ft 4 section fold up portable aluminum ramp or track system. Does anyone know of a pickup truck, regular full size or minivan that I could hire to cart me around near the dates Dec. 16 - 30 2013?

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Well there ya go for a great business idea...Buy a commercial van, equip it with wheel chair lift, ramps, etc, charge whatever for transportation and helper..If I had the funds, I would be sure to provide a helper person to assist any handicapped person should they need help shopping etc...kind of like a nurse so to speak...anyone care to discuss such an idea? PM me..

Anthony

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Case, I received this message from a member, maybe it will help - I know nothing more, so if you're interested call the number in the note:

This is a horse van, not a trailer but a van that could work very well for him. It is located north of POP and is for hire.

809-924-1815

I don't know if it has a ramp but I made a couple in a few hours. Tie downs to secure the chair should be all ready.

Eugeniefs

Jan 24, 2008
Welcome, and good luck with finding the right vehicle etc., if nothing else the people here are really friendly. Hope you have a good holiday.