Page 143 of 153 FirstFirst ... 4393133141142143144145 ... LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,430 of 1521

Thread: Cabarete Diaries, part 2

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Gotta say, Frank, you are one ballsy fuxxer.
    a. going into those mines.
    b. riding a motorcycle in the DR.

2. Likes frank12 liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Cabarete to Jarabacoa & Constanza, a couple of days ago.

4. Likes love.m, IslandDreaming liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice Eggplant on the truck Frankie.

6. Likes frank12 liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Frank W, Michael S, and I went on the mother of all tours across the mountains and through Valle Nuevo national park over to San Jose de Ocoa. It was 10c (52f) coming over the mountains at an elevation of 2500 meters (8000ft.)

8. Likes RonS, IslandDreaming liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Frank Wilman​, Michael Shacklette​, and I returned back over the mountains to Bonao, and then Cabarete, from Barahona. Total time from Barahona to Cabarete was 4:23 (317km). Total KM's over 3-days was 806km.

10. Likes malko, RonS liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frank12 View Post
    Frank Wilman​, Michael Shacklette​, and I returned back over the mountains to Bonao, and then Cabarete, from Barahona. Total time from Barahona to Cabarete was 4:23 (317km). Total KM's over 3-days was 806km.

Reminds me of my days in Marin Country when we would meet up on Sunday for rides over the hills to the coast. I'd be on either my Triumph Bonneville 750 or BSA 441 Victor. My friends, one was up on a Norton 750 Commando the other an 850 Commando.

They always out ran me but we all eventually met up in Lagunitas our hands frozen through our gloves from the cold damp and out face shields dripping fog and our pants and socks soaked through except where there were folds.

We'd have a few whiskeys or bloody Marys to thaw, then be ready to head back.
    Yeah those were the good old days - We were friggin' miserable but happy.

Then we would head south towards Bolinas and back through Mill Valley or North towards Tocaloma and east through Nicascio and Woodacre then home.

Salad Days

12. Likes frank12, IslandDreaming liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

The climb up to the Larimar mine was essentially the climb up to the Heart of Darkness. The elevation was over 3,700ft (1200ft), and was full of corrugated tin shacks, Haitians, and Dominicans doing back-breaking work. The climb is on slippery rocks and dirt, and can probably only be done with a 4-wheel drive (if wet), or something high off the ground -- like an SUV or truck.

14. Likes RV429, RonS, IslandDreaming liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Frankie you live the life. I know envy is a sin,but envy is all i have for you. their are two people in the world that can put video to music. One would be you and the other would be Quinten Tarentino

16. Likes frank12 liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I had to re-do the video of the climb up to the Larimar Mine to include some more accurate maps:

The climb up to the Larimar mine was essentially the climb into the Heart of Darkness. The elevation is over 3,700ft (1200ft), sits 9.1km off of the main road (Highway 44), and is full of corrugated tin shacks, Haitians, and Dominicans doing back-breaking work. The climb up to the mine is on slippery rocks and dirt, and can only be done with a 4-wheel drive (if wet or raining), or something high off the ground -- like an SUV or truck, if dry.

18. Likes IslandDreaming liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I made it to the Colonial Zone in Santo Domingo from Cabarete in 2:41. I went directly for a $5 dollar shave.

You have not lived until you have received a $5 dollar shave while taking in all of the sights, sounds, and different conversations taking place in-between people inside a barber shop in Santo Domingo. The people here are wonderful and friendly. Dominicans have such a naturally fun sense of humor about them. So proud to be a part of this culture.