Police operation today to arrest Canoa and 9 accomplices

ADECA

Apr 22, 2009
Today the police swept through Cabarete to arrest the Director of the Ayuntamiento Distrital, Canoa, the Treasurer and other employees and relatives of employees of the ayuntamiento distrital on charges of falsifying checks. At this hour the Treasurer and half a dozen others are in jail, but Canoa vanished, and we have no word whether he has been captured or has turned himself in.

This case is completely separate from the case pursued by ADECA and the Ministerio Publico for a pattern of corruption, in which Canoa has been ordered to stand trial. Tomorrow, the Tribunal Electoral in Santo Domingo will hear the case to require the suspension of Canoa. Of course if Canoa is in jail in Puerto Plata tomorrow for this other case or on the lam he won't be appearing in the Santo Domingo court.

Unfortunately the guys from the ayuntamiento who drive the garbage truck are among those arrested for falsification, so Cabarete may have a bit of a garbage problem until new management can take over the ayuntamiento and hire new staff.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Great news. I love it. Sorry about the garbage haulers. I guess that's collateral damage.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I heard that three truckloads of police went to get Canoa, only to find he wasn't there (tipped off, presumably). So it's good news and bad news - good news that the powers that be are after him but bad news that we aren't certain that he has been caught. Hopefully, absconding won't allow him to further delay his coming to justice.

Bad news for the garbage truck guys too. I can't believe that they are major players in any financial crime. What will we do with the garbage in the meantime?

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
They are like weed, you remove ten thieves and one week later no less than eleven new has taken their jobs and are continuing the stealing.

It's hard to believe that the next weeds can be any worse than the present ones, but here, anything is possible. :(

ADECA

Apr 22, 2009
Yes, it appears Canoa got tipped off by the local police that he was going to be arrested. According the procuradora Alba Nunez Canoa called yesterday and said he would turn himself in. But he never did, and is now officially considered a fugitive, along with several others who were not captured or turned themselves in yesterday. In a twist, the Tribunal Electoral in Santo Domingo this morning postponed again their hearing of the issue to suspend Canoa, because he wasn't there. According to our lawyers Canoa's presence wasn't even required for them to rule on the issue, but they postponed for another week anyway.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Maybe we should dump our uncollected garbage outside his large house. I'll give $500 for the first person who dares to do it - if he or she is alive to collect! ;)

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
I'm guessing he's going to be turning himself in within a matter of days or less. It's an island, for petes sake.

Rumor has it he has left for the Haitian side of the border where he has contacts there to get him to Cuba.....Lets see if this is true, or if he does turn himself in......my bet is on the rumor.....

ADECA

Apr 22, 2009
The Malteese guy, Ian Schiembre, is still riding high, and still bribing officials to get to build what he shouldn't be allowed to build or where he shouldn't be allowed to build. In Cabarete, where he managed to wrest control of Azurro from the legal owners a few years back, he managed to get a special midnight presidential decree from Leonel when he was leaving office to build 6 stories on the beach. It must have been one hell of a donation to FUNGLOBE. The regulations in Cabarete only permit 3 stories right on the beach. He has no permit from MITUR to build, but the heavy machinery is at work on the property nonetheless. He is in a completely different league than Canoa.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Ian 'hosted' Danilo as well, at his SHR house, when he was still raising campaign funds.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
How long does it take to bring in another administration ?

Another rumor says he was found and is in jail?

ADECA

Apr 22, 2009
Canoa turned himself in this morning. He'll probably have his medida de coercion hearing this afternoon. It will be interesting to see if he gets released on bail again.