Sto Domingo -- Ilumel

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Big Half-Price sale going on .

We were there Tuesday and Thursday.

It appears everything is at 50% off...... the stuff there is expensive enough, buy 50 off helps a lot!!!

FWIW:laugh:

21yearsinDR

May 29, 2013
Ilumel has some pretty nice furniture - and modern and not the usual weird caoba stuff. But it is over priced really and the quality is not exactly the best always. I do have nice pieces I bought in Ilumel, however I also had some bad luck..
The service is horrendous though.
If you live at the north coast you have to pay the transportation of the furniture yourself .
Once we bought a group of furniture - several pieces - that belonged together. We sent our own driver with our own truck to Santo Domingo to pick up the furniture and they mixed up at the delivery and gave us one piece that belonged to a complete other set of furniture. When our guy came to Puerto Plata we opened the boxes and realized the mistake. We had to send our guy one more time to Santo Domingo to change the piece and nobody at Ilumel wanted to take responsibility for the mistake.
We needed some additional chairs and we asked for a discount as a compensation for the bad delivery - impossible..
So I am happy I don?t need any more furniture ?.
At Ikea at least they bring your stuff to Santiago for free and you can pick it up there..
What I like about Ikea is, that it is cheap. I can buy something that might be broken in a few years, but because it was cheap, well, I can get some new stuff.. And they actually have some very practical items for the house.

21yearsinDR

May 29, 2013
Well, I am living with air conditioning most of the time and my maid is not taking the hose into the house - he he heee - so that might be the reason that I have no problems with Ikea furniture.. If your maid is “watering” your floor every day - Ikea furniture will not last long….

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
That Ikea furniture doesn't last here is fine by me. The price is as such. However we bought a bedroom set in Ilumel that looked nice in the store, was not cheap, and when it was delivered I noticed what mediocre quality it was. The same low cost as you buy (in Europe) at Trendhopper and stores like that, but for triple the price. Wht bothers my also from Ilumel is the store that is so full of furniture you can't walk normally through it and it doesn't help looking for something.

Aug 21, 2007
Yes, I too, have furniture from Ilumel. I bought it not quite 2 years ago. When it first arrived, I liked it. After just a few months, I realized how cheap it was. I am now replacing locally it all with custom made pieces. Styles were selected from the internet and will be duplicated at basically the same cost- without my fee for transportation from the US and customs. If it is not done right, the manufacturer is here and I know who to contact to get it corrected.

Now. On the other hand, if everything is 50% off at Ilumel, maybe that would be a good buy for someone who wants some style and doesn't need good quality.

Lindsey

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
Wow im shocked people are saying quality is bad for the price they are selling theyr furnitures.