newbie. one way ticket??, unsure how long i will stay

kaykat18987

Nov 25, 2013
hello all, i am new to this forum
ive visited rd 5 times now in the past 2 years for 1 week periods,
i am getting readdy to go for 6 month period, as a turist to visite my boyfriend and stay with him
i am a canadian.
i am unsure how long i will stay there for 6 months probably, i do not want to buy a return ticket at the moment because i do not know if i will return early , later etc.
i read that a return flight is needed to prove i will not stay in the dr...iligal.. etc

any one know about this, can it cause me issues to not have a return flight?

also. id like to know more about the turista card. the 10$ basic one at the airport is valid for 30 days. should i let them know right away i want to stay longer, or take that card and vivite the imigration in santo domingo to extend my stay monthly... thanks

I have traveled on a one way ticket and the DR did not care at all. I phoned my airline first (WestJet) to see if they needed to see the return ticket and they said no.
If you are really nervous about it why not just buy a return as well and change the date when you know when you will want to come back? I have done it many times and is easy.

Do not tell the people at the RD Airport you are planning on staying etc... All you have to do is pay the over stay fee which is minimal. I can't remember I think 1000 pesos for up to 6 months overstay?! It is very easy to do on your way back to Canada at whatever airport you are leaving from in the RD!
MANY PEOPLE JUST PAY THE OVERSTAY!
I just did 4 months ago and i will do it again in a month if my residency doesn't come before then which i doubt it will!

Welcome to Dr! Have an awesome visit with your bf!
Where in Canada are you from?

kaykat18987

Nov 25, 2013
Thanks for the reply. I want to bring some things to help my bf get started in his new place. Kitchen things bathroom. Bed sheets etc. not much. Rd never searches my luggage. But i wouldnt wanna get refuied entry for looking like i will stay

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
If you fly direct from Canada you probably will not have a problem with a one way ticket. If you change planes in the USA the American airline may ask for a return ticket. In all my trips I have only been searched once in September. They opened the bag and sorted through everything and said nothing. Ignored the second bag and carryon. Kitchen stuff, DVDs, toys, DVD player, old cell phones. You get the drift.

kaykat18987

Nov 25, 2013
Thanks for that info on not flying direct. I want o ho to santo domingo so from canada i have to pass by usa. Ill call the airline or get more info on that. Usa ask me stupid questions sometimes and i only stay for like 1 hour connecting flight.

May 29, 2006
Buy a return ticket. For some reason, RT tickets are usually cheaper than a one way. You can move the return date for a fee.

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
I always feel like a criminal when I fly through the USA. I can arrive in a great mood and by the time I have passed security I'm a drug dealing terrorist with a suitcase full of paedophilia and a warrant on me for bank robbery. security are not at all friendly, welcoming or even have a personality. Hate the place, well the airports at least.

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
Just wait for a super deal and then book it, they come along if you keep an eye on and are prepared to book in the moment.

karnes

Sep 26, 2013
Just flew with westjet last month, there was no need for a return ticket and the tourist card is included in the price of the ticket so just accept it. My recommendation would be fly into Punta Cana on a direct flight, with how many tourists going thru they barely check.. The bus to Santo Domingo isnt that bad especially with the new highway..

kaykat18987

Nov 25, 2013
Thanks guys. I was thinking to fly direct to go to avoid problems. I know dr wont care that i go there. I mean im going with money and will spend it in their country. So that i have home supplies with me they wont care. But usa is the problem. Bus to santo domingo is 300 pesos so not bad. And they proBly have an express one that doesnt stop by all the towns. And on my return ill book from sdq and if i get searched in usa. Whatever i wont have nothing and returning to my country. Sorry if their are americans on here. But usa sucks big time. Treating is like terorists. Jfk airport is the worst. Felt like a dog and everyone yelled at to get in the line up ... Thanks guys for all ur help. Helps me out with my planing

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Kat & Smart", you didn't have to suffer the outcome of lax airport baggage checks on 9/11!
REMEMBER THAT????????
We Americans DO!!!!!!
KAT" you will never last 6 months here!
Get an "Open Return Ticket", you won't have any money left to buy a ticket home after a month here, thanks to your "BF"!
Do you know the difference between "True Love With a "Dominicano" and Herpes?????
Herpes lasts forever!!!!!!!!!
:laugh::laugh::laugh::p:p:p:p:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCc

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Ask Yourself in all Honesty with your BF's Education and his friends and his job, isn't this the same guy who would be living at Jane and Finch? I know, I know he is a good guy, and worked at the Hotel in the Animation Team.. He really loves you.. Ask him to send you some money by WU for the Airline ticket, oh that's right he doesn't have any money...
I hope I am wrong and he is in University Studying Hard to become someone and is content with a little with Strong Family values. Are you aware of his other babies? "Your Pal is every gringas pal"...

Last edited:

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
hello all, i am new to this forum
ive visited rd 5 times now in the past 2 years for 1 week periods,
i am getting readdy to go for 6 month period, as a turist to visite my boyfriend and stay with him
i am a canadian.
i am unsure how long i will stay there for 6 months probably, i do not want to buy a return ticket at the moment because i do not know if i will return early , later etc.
i read that a return flight is needed to prove i will not stay in the dr...iligal.. etc

any one know about this, can it cause me issues to not have a return flight?

also. id like to know more about the turista card. the 10$ basic one at the airport is valid for 30 days. should i let them know right away i want to stay longer, or take that card and vivite the imigration in santo domingo to extend my stay monthly... thanks

Hello Kaykat,

My boyfriend is canadian too, before he used to come without return ticket, now he just buy round trip and if he want to stay more just call and change the date, so if you do it like that will be more smart thant take the risk, not always but sometimes they ask here for return ticket, also where are you going to stay here.

Another thing you must check is what happend if you stay here more than 6 months, my boyfriend lives in Quebec and if he stay more than 6 months can lose his heatlh care insurance because they says after 6 motnhs is not longer living in Canada.

If you fligh with westjet or Air Canada is included the turist card, you dont need to buy it when arrivie to Dominican.

from November till april westjet and air canada flight to La Romana that is Closer to Santo Domingo, west jet is every friday and aircanada im not sure the date, most of the times westjet has better prices than air canada, and now with rough they only give liquids for free, with westjet they still are giving also snack or cookie for free too.

From la Romana Airport you can take a taxi to go to the Santo Domingo bus station in La Romana.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Ask Yourself in all Honesty with your BF's Education and his friends and his job, isn't this the same guy who would be living at Jane and Finch? I know, I know he is a good guy, and worked at the Hotel in the Animation Team.. He really loves you.. Ask him to send you some money by WU for the Airline ticket, oh that's right he doesn't have any money...
I hope I am wrong and he is in University Studying Hard to become someone and is content with a little with Strong Family values. Are you aware of his other babies? "Your Pal is every gringas pal"...

Im Dominican and its Sad but is the truth, dont go so fast, go slowly but trully.

kaykat18987

Nov 25, 2013
thanks and no thanks to your concern, i wasnt born yesterday
and money has been half half all the time. and he isnt some dude that hangs out at the barbershop and drinks from 9am...

kaykat18987

Nov 25, 2013
thanks for the la romana info, that a good thing since i would like to go i april.

about quebec, i am from here also and it is true that is the reason why i would like to go for up to 6 months. everytime you go for less then 21 days it doesnt count in the 6 month period. if you stay more then 21 days then they accumulate for the 6 month medicare card.

thanks alot guys

Eugeniefs

Jan 24, 2008
I think Riva has given you some good points there, good luck and hope you have fun with the BF

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Thanks guys. I was thinking to fly direct to go to avoid problems. I know dr wont care that i go there. I mean im going with money and will spend it in their country. So that i have home supplies with me they wont care. But usa is the problem. Bus to santo domingo is 300 pesos so not bad. And they proBly have an express one that doesnt stop by all the towns. And on my return ill book from sdq and if i get searched in usa. Whatever i wont have nothing and returning to my country. Sorry if their are americans on here. But usa sucks big time. Treating is like terorists. Jfk airport is the worst. Felt like a dog and everyone yelled at to get in the line up ... Thanks guys for all ur help. Helps me out with my planing

If you fly into La Romana with westjet you'll be closer to Santo Domingo and the tourist card is included. DO NOT say you are staying for 6 months. They have new laws about residency and someone reported that two women had to pay 1000.00 each when they arrived