Planning on a move to DR, now getting scared!

The Canadian

Nov 27, 2013
My wife and i have been planning a move to DR, and i must say that after reading a few threads on here i'm getting pretty scared. Is it really that bad for expats to live there? My wife and i will be buying a small business, and by no means are we expecting to get rich, we just want a quieter slower lifestyle. Most of the things iv'e heard are really not good, iv'e read that we are just not treated well by locals, the police, government, and businesses.

We are young outgoing people, and by no means want to take advantage of anything! We just want to enjoy the culture, and be treated fairly.

Is this not attainable in DR? Should we just look elsewhere? Are people blowing it out of proportion?

Any experiences, or insights would be appreciated.

Yachtmaster

Jul 2, 2007
www.genesisbvi.com
My wife and i have been planning a move to DR, and i must say that after reading a few threads on here i'm getting pretty scared. Is it really that bad for expats to live there? My wife and i will be buying a small business, and by no means are we expecting to get rich, we just want a quieter slower lifestyle. Most of the things iv'e heard are really not good, iv'e read that we are just not treated well by locals, the police, government, and businesses.

We are young outgoing people, and by no means want to take advantage of anything! We just want to enjoy the culture, and be treated fairly.

Is this not attainable in DR? Should we just look elsewhere? Are people blowing it out of proportion?

Where have you learned about the DR? Have you visited the DR yet? Was it in an all-inclusive resort? Not to turn you off, but there is a whole lot involved and it is not for everyone....

zlj1

Aug 1, 2013

What city are you planning on residing in?

JuanDolioLiving

Sep 7, 2010
The Canadian, if you are planning on making a business in the Dominican Republic, then which are you going to be moving to because I would not recommend that you go to Sosua. Try visiting Juan Dolio it is a pretty nice and well kept place, with plenty of Dominican middle class that owns about 65% of the real states properties over here and where they come every weekend to relax. Juan Dolio is also home to Pinewood Movie Studios set to open its doors on March 2014 and when full operational it would have 15,000 full time employees. PM me if needs for information and details about this area. By the way here we people from all over doing business. The best thing is that the police here would bother you, nor will the other businesses in the area mess around with you and forget about thugs as politur is very harsh with those type of people because they want to protect the people that have invested their money here.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Totally agree with Harley.

Take your time. It's not a bad place to be, but it's not perfect either. Kick around the island, and see if you find a community that suits you.

But no, don't fret over the gloom-an'-doom folk in here. Good luck!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I will keep it simple. I would not recommend that anyone come to the DR if they need to make a living with a local business. If you can work via the Internet, that is a different story.

hombre987

Nov 17, 2013

Maybe you should talk with other people who came here when they were your age. If you are going to look elsewhere Panama has the best infrastructure in all of Latin America with a similar tropical climate and culture.

hombre987

Nov 17, 2013

Maybe you should talk with other people who came here when they were your age. If you are going to look elsewhere Panama has the best infrastructure in all of Latin America with a similar tropical climate and culture. If you are not already successful running your own business in Canada and expect to come here and succeed, I would re-think that one.

hombre987

Nov 17, 2013

Maybe you should talk with other people who came here when they were your age. If you are going to look elsewhere Panama has the best infrastructure in all of Latin America with a similar tropical climate and culture. If you are not already successful running your own business in Canada and expect to come here and succeed, I would re-think that one. Others will most likely treat you as fairly as you treat them. Stay as far away as you can from drug and whore trade. That's my advise.

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
Enjoy the isalnd , choose carefully who you associate with .If you need to make money here in the Dr ( not on the internet ) Reconsider immediately , unless you are one hell of an entrepreneur .....and ensure that you properly secure your home !!! Where ever that is .... It's paridise , with a hitch

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
After reading your only other DR1 post in the "Dirty A$$ White Men" thread, I don't think the DR is for YOU!!!!
Soooooooo, please do come, start your business, go broke, and leave as soon as possible!!!
Which you WILL!
"Welcome HOME!!!!"
Cris Colon
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

PaGuyinDr

Sep 2, 2013
My guess is that living in the DR is what you make of it. Could be great, could totally suck. Just like everywhere else. It would be totally up to you in many ways. Having said that a disproportional amount of DR1 posters appear to really suffering. Sure sounds like it. :D
I am working on the move right now myself, and with the information I have gathered here on DR 1 I am bringing the following so as to insure a succesful transition:

1) a 1972 AMC pacer ( blue book value 0.00 ) and 600 pairs of tires.
2) night vision googles for driving.
3) a hired food tester - like A roman dictator would have.
4) 800,000 batteries
5) a sankie detector - for the mrs.
6) an existing company - can't find work and you can't start a biz here.
7) a spare liver. Thinkin maybe I'll need two.
8) no pants. There's apparently so much screwing going on down here. Why bother putting them on.
9) 800 doses of penicillin. ( see # 8 )
10) a lawyer.
11) lots of cash for the inevitable policia shake down.

That should do it.

:D

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I really liked your book, but if it would have read it before moving back here I wouldn't have come. I think you chose to live a life that is far more extreme than many of us live in this country.

Glad you liked it - but not sure I actually chose to live the life I have. It just sort of happened!

Matilda

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
To the OP if you are getting pretty scared because according to you expats are
not treated fairly by the locals then why are you considering living there and starting
a business? If you are that paranoid then consider another country where you can
feel more at ease.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
If you plan on smacking people in the mouth like you stated in your other thread, for using bad language, you won't last a week. The police will not come to your rescue here.