La Romana bypass open!!

Eugeniefs

Jan 24, 2008
Yes, it is wonderful news - as for Boca Chica, I think we have to keep on wishing and just maybe, just maybe, one day.... now that would be a dream come true, lol!

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
They are building the beltway around Boca Chica, it starts at the first set of traffic lights (coming from Punta Cana) so you may be able to use this depending on where you're heading to.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Has anyone taken Carretera Mella from San Pedro (right after the large bridge on the Circumvalacion) to Santo Domingo? It's only a 2 road and is out in the boonies but wondering if it might be worth a try...?

Added on: Instead of all the way to Santo Domingo, I might consider taking it up to the Samana highway then back down to Las Americas. A few extra kms but not sure time-wise how much of a difference it would be?

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It was announced in the DR1 News earlier in the week. We drove from PC to SD on Thursday and were well into the city in 1 hr 45 mins. It makes a vast difference not having to go through LR - as KateP says, the only stressful stretch is BC.

KateP we took the Mella route a few months ago, no traffic but lots of potholes so not really worth it.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
It was announced in the DR1 News earlier in the week. We drove from PC to SD on Thursday and were well into the city in 1 hr 45 mins. It makes a vast difference not having to go through LR - as KateP says, the only stressful stretch is BC.

KateP we took the Mella route a few months ago, no traffic but lots of potholes so not really worth it.

Yeah, figured that one out yesterday. Do NOT recommend it as a shortcut! The bypass is terrific though. Sooooo worth the 100 pesos toll!

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
There are two toll booths. One charges 100 pesos for cars. I think the other one is less (maybe 50 pes0s), I forget. But worth the price in any case.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Total tolls from PC to SD = RD$250 (100 + 50 + 100). Going east you also have to pay RD$30 at Las Americas of course.

Late Sunday afternoon from Puente Juan Bosch (Ozama river) in Santo Domingo to the Punta Cana roundabout - 1 hour and 40 mins - even though we were slowed down somewhat by a couple of heavy rain showers along the way. Spectacular rainbow!