Rent Furnished or Unfurnished for Long-Term

HarryLB13

Feb 21, 2012
It appears that most of the apartments advertised on the internet are furnished. While this
is great for short vacation and short-term is this the best way to go on a long term rental.

For example, for a six month to one year lease, would it be cheaper to rent unfurnished?
In addition, is it reasonable to think that I could negotiate a deal to rent a partial furnished
condo where as the owner provides the large kitchen appliances and I would purchase the
bedroom and living room items, including the Tv?

I would be renting in either the Cabarete or Sosua area.
Thanks
Harry

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I think your problem would be that as most apartments to rent are furnished, the owner would have a problem of where to put the furniture if you don't want it. As a landlord myself in Cabarete, I would not want to try to dispose of the furniture for a six month/one year rental. Therefore, your choice of apartments would be severely restricted.

May 29, 2006
I can see renting unfurnished once you've committed to staying, but shopping for a condo in Sosua or Cabarete for six months would be a lot of work, esp without a car. And when you left, you'd have to sell off your furniture at less than half of what you paid.

Maybe I just got very lucky with the furnishings of my condo when I was there for six months. The only thing I wasn't satisfied with were the pillows and the coffee cups, and the rent was $400 including electric, gas and Satellite TV (in 2004).

HarryLB13

Feb 21, 2012
Thanks for the information. You all are correct in that six months is far too short to rent unfurnished especially
since I may decide to leave after the six months. I think I will rent for one month and use that time to find a
place that meets my needs, which I can then rent for six months.
Thanks
Harry

May 29, 2006
I just mentioned on another thread that Perla de Sosua is good place to start. Not bad in price and relatively close to the center of town without being loud. I was in Trade Winds when I was in Sosua and it ended being a hassle to walk and take motos all the time. Nice if you can get laundry service. If I did it again, I'd pay to have my space cleaned once or twice a week.

HarryLB13

Feb 21, 2012
Thanks Peter. I checked Perla de Sosua's website, and I called the U.S. number a few weeks ago.
I was I was unable to get a 30-day reservation starting mid December. But, I checked the website
again today and there are a couple one bedroom units available around the middle of January.

May 29, 2006
I stayed at Romanoff for about three weeks about 10 years ago, but they may be under new ownership. They were half empty at the time(in high season) because they didn't believe in making a website. Maybe you could work a deal out with them for a apt with a kitchen. It's on Ayuntimiento. It was popular with Germans last time I was in town. Back in the day, I was paying $15/night there!