Orphaned 2 week old baby horse neglected

JessicaRabbit

Sep 21, 2009
So there is a dominican dude whose horse gave birth and died. He was not taking care of the horse and now the baby horse is sitting in as small enclosure with a pile of trash and rocks. He is sooo skinny and owner feeds him with a cabbage :(. There is no water there no hay and of course no grass. Im afraid the baby will die. I wanted to rescue it but husband is against it, doesnt let me have no more pets. I might convince this guy to give the horsie away or sell it to someone who will take care of it. Do you know anyone who would be interested? Its a boy dark brown color 2 weeks old. Please advise me what to do? Just cant see that poor thing die from neglect.
Horse is in cabarete.

Eugeniefs

Jan 24, 2008
Oh my goodness what a sad thing to have to see, the poor foal. I really hope that someone out there can help you. Are there any horse riding stables nearby? Have you contacted any vets in the area?

Can you take the foal - not sure where one would stand here in the DR.

luvvinit

Sep 2, 2013
I just facebooked a friend of mine here in Sosua who has horses and will probably help, leave it with me

JessicaRabbit

Sep 21, 2009
I just hope that that dude will be willing to give or sell the foal, i didnt see the guy today, only the horse, the baby was laying down very sad... Didnt stand up when i came over to rub his neck. They put milk in a bowl for him.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
The most upsetting thing i have seen here so far here was a dead horse at the side of the road :-( I will never get that picture out of my head.
I am so glad some people on here will try and help the baby horse! So friggin sad!

The most upsetting thing I have seen here so far was probably the dead homeless guy I saw face down below an overpass on the side of the road, of 27 the Febrero, or maybe the poor old guy hardly able to stand on his feet begging for money under the poring rain.

The most upsetting thing I have seen here so far was probably the dead homeless guy I saw face down below an overpass on the side of the road, of 27 the Febrero, or maybe the poor old guy hardly able to stand on his feet begging for money under the poring rain.

Well that stuff isn't great either, dealt with a lot of it at my old job so i am used to that kind of stuff. I'm not used to dead and abused animals all over the place! I saw a guy die here in a moto in the first few weeks but the horse still haunts me. I'm one of those people who care more about animals.

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
Just get the heck over There pay him quick before it dies or he changes the price 10 times!.....
97vgx5.jpg
. Giddy up! Lol

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I am posting this for someone else who asked me to do so, let me via PM if you need more help:

Horse resources:

Dr. Coste, large/small animal vet in Sousa. 809-910-2133

Seahorse Ranch equestrian center manager Miriam: 809-571-4462

Juan Ramero. Ferrier, trainer, owner, breeder and close to being a vet. (no money but worth calling) 829-246-4624

J & R up El Choco Road. Vet supplies and feed. They also have connections. 809-571-1528

If this foal has not had mothers milk for two weeks then the odds are very much that it will not survive. Mammals suckle and can not lap up milk and the mild needs to be from other horses. Very late this year to find a Mare with milk that will except this foal. Horses are herd animals and need other horses, donkeys, mules with them.

I'll provide transport with vet approval and to an approved home.

JessicaRabbit

Sep 21, 2009
I found out that foal was with his mother for some time so he was fed with mother's milk. She passed away few days ago.
I am tempted to take him, but i have 0 experience in horse care and have no idea how to raise him... Still have no one who wants to buy him... Where do they get hay to feed horse? And is there anybody who sells goat milk? Internet says its better for the foal.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Ringo is still "on vacation" but is concerned about this foal. He has asked that I post this for him, and I will do so if it helps to save the baby....

"All the information that is needed to help with the foal has been posted by wg. Being that it is Saturday afternoon odds are that everyone is closed until Monday. I would NOT wait that long. As with any baby, food is needed just about all the time.

I urge you to contact Juan ASAP. He is a working man so figure on some prices for his travel and time over the phone. He speaks only Spanish. Perhaps he has a large "baby bottle" and may know where to find some suitable milk. This is just like any newborn. The milk needs to be warm and offered every few hours, 24 hours a day. The baby needs to be protected, cleaned and loved.

As for the "asking price"? If the owner can not afford to take care of this baby now, then he will have the task of burying it soon. Let Juan talk to the man.

Juan is a good man and fair. CALL HIM ASAP, please."