WTF Is going on at Escuela Gregorio Luperon

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
They're putting up a 10' wall around it. I feel sorry for the students. Now now no breeze at all. Oh yea the Gov. will be installing Air Con, Now the little kids walking around with their families can ask "Daddy why are all those ladies standing outside those bars? Why are there so many motocycles trying to run over us? Why is there walls around the school? Are those children in jail? "

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
The mayor wants to hide every example of Dominican life from the tourists at the resorts. I see there are piles of cinder blocks in front of the baseball field....I hope they are not planning on hiding that also?

avi8or57

Nov 25, 2010
My guess is TO CONTROL the savagery of SOME of the students who cut or maim other innocent students...or maybe keep the prowling pedophiles off school grounds!!!!!

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
My guess is TO CONTROL the savagery of SOME of the students who cut or maim other innocent students...or maybe keep the prowling pedophiles off school grounds!!!!!
They had a metal fence before, how's a 10' cement wall going to help?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
They had a metal fence before, how's a 10' cement wall going to help?

Hard to talk through or pass things through a solid concrete wall. New school going up in Jarabacoa. supposedly will have proper science labs, computer labs...etc. I 've seen the plans and construction has started. Now if they can just get the teachers for it.

Aug 21, 2007
I find it a curious and a bit hypocritical- with the current politics of the country- that they hired Haitians to work on the wall. Of course, they would be day workers, and thus, not have a work contract.

Perhaps there are two sets of new rules (laws) going into effect. They apply one way for Haitians, but another for Dominicans.

Don't get me wrong. I am not saying that I am against the new immigration procedures being put into place. I just would like to see them applied uniformly to everyone, foreigners, Haitians, and Dominicans who want to use the services of Haitians.

As far as the wall is concerned, I think Bob may be on to something. As schools improve and begin to store educational supplies, school records, and perhaps sometime in the future, technology, a wall will be needed and necessary for security.

Lindsey

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
So, if a ten foot wall does not keep the supplies in....what is next, a 20 foot wall and armed guard towers? (I am only half joking) I guess you cannot count on the teachers, admin or security to ensure stuff does not go missing. Metal detectors are next.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
So, if a ten foot wall does not keep the supplies in....what is next, a 20 foot wall and armed guard towers? (I am only half joking) I guess you cannot count on the teachers, admin or security to ensure stuff does not go missing. Metal detectors are next.

All controls, whether administrative or physical are to prevent things from going missing. Foe example in our school, or any school for that matter, the records of students is privileged information, and can't be accessed by even the teacher, except the daily roll call. There are many students whose parent or parents do not want anyone to have their address or phone number....etc. Others that are barred by law from contacting their children, and even others that he only place they can have contact with their children is at the school. Most parents expect the school to be a secure place to house their children until picked up. With the escape ability of some children you would need straightjackets and a fifty foot fence.

sirlurksalot

Apr 2, 2002
All controls, whether administrative or physical are to prevent things from going missing. Foe example in our school, or any school for that matter, the records of students is privileged information, and can't be accessed by even the teacher, except the daily roll call. There are many students whose parent or parents do not want anyone to have their address or phone number....etc. Others that are barred by law from contacting their children, and even others that he only place they can have contact with their children is at the school. Most parents expect the school to be a secure place to house their children until picked up. With the escape ability of some children you would need straightjackets and a fifty foot fence.
Most of the public schools in our part of the northwest corner of the DR have the block fence all the way around. Usually there is a coil of razor ribbon wire on top of the fence. They more closely resemble correctional facilities than schools. They usually have a 'gatekeeper' who looks thru the door to see who might be loitering outside and to let in those who have legitimate business inside. I've been told that this is to safeguard the computers that they someday "might" have inside and to keep out the unwanted who are usually on the other side of the door. Computers in our schools would be of little use as "no hay luz" most of the time.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
They're putting up a 10' wall around it. I feel sorry for the students. Now now no breeze at all. Oh yea the Gov. will be installing Air Con, Now the little kids walking around with their families can ask "Daddy why are all those ladies standing outside those bars? Why are there so many motocycles trying to run over us? Why is there walls around the school? Are those children in jail? "

It's easier to put of nice portraits/posters on a 10' wall then on a fence

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
nothing to see here. they are doing the same in POP and i have seen few schools in the countryside with fences that could take a heavy artillery siege matching leningrad. not sure if it is to keep the students in or the thieves out. i like it that way. there is a school nearby which had low fence before. those damn kids would scatter after classes like roaches, running blindly towards freedom. easy to run them over. uncontrollable. now the fence is tall and there is one gate. it is much safer that way.

as far as the haitians, they are not really employed by the government but by contractors who won the bidding for the job.

boknows

Oct 15, 2012
Hopefully they lock all the kids in until the learn their reading, writing and arithmetic. Otherwise Sosua will become overpopulated with workers.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Most of the public schools in our part of the northwest corner of the DR have the block fence all the way around. Usually there is a coil of razor ribbon wire on top of the fence. They more closely resemble correctional facilities than schools. They usually have a 'gatekeeper' who looks thru the door to see who might be loitering outside and to let in those who have legitimate business inside. I've been told that this is to safeguard the computers that they someday "might" have inside and to keep out the unwanted who are usually on the other side of the door. Computers in our schools would be of little use as "no hay luz" most of the time.

Some of the public high schools have computer labs in use with servers, full inversor systems with banks of batteries, otherwise fully functioning. The directors and secretary also have computers....etc.

Aug 21, 2007
as far as the haitians, they are not really employed by the government but by contractors who won the bidding for the job.

So then it is okay and the government with their new rules is off the hook? As I said. I would like everyone to play by the same rules.

Lindsey

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
So then it is okay and the government with their new rules is off the hook? As I said. I would like everyone to play by the same rules.

Lindsey

Our contractor uses both Dominicans and Haitians. He said lots of Dominican approach him for jobs so he says sure show up at 6 am tomorrow at this place. Half the time they don't show or they last a payday and are gone. I recognize some of the Haitians guys as they have been here in Jarabacoa for years.

Aug 21, 2007
Our contractor uses both Dominicans and Haitians. He said lots of Dominican approach him for jobs so he says sure show up at 6 am tomorrow at this place. Half the time they don't show or they last a payday and are gone. I recognize some of the Haitians guys as they have been here in Jarabacoa for years.

I understand, Bob. Haitians are good, hard workers. I am just trying to figure out how all this political stuff is really going to play out on the ground. And this is a good example of the bind that both the DR government and the undocumented Haitians are now experiencing. I am afraid what the DR wishes to be black and white, will over time prove to be just more gray.