La Barquita--La Javilla --Crap

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
Medina's initiatives seem good and I do like them. However, this latest project just smells like old times.
I have a house in La Javilla which I've not been able to see for 4 years. My family only goes to that Barrio in the daytime.
The Huge Fernandez Health Center( on Charles de Galle) is 600 yds. from my house!! When it was being built, I was excited. A 500 yard road would be cut to La Javilla.
No way. La Javilla remains one way in, one way out. Controlled by the Tigueres.
SD will be cleaned up for the tourist business. Just move all the crap across the river, outa site outa mind. Internet will negate this falicey. It's a different world. Government in the US can't hide. The Political System in the DR is a pigeon; just like all us Gringos.

Got any more pictures Picardo?? Come on. It's been a while. Give us some videos of the Greatness of that Project on Charles De Galle. Show us live stuff of kids being treated, anyone being treated, with the same equipment in your photos.

CarpeDReam

Feb 17, 2006
Actually it looks like they are serious about this. Youtube latest videos on la barquita and you'll see the construction work is well ahead of schedule. They expect the first phase to be completed by the end of this year and it will house 2000 families. This is expected to not just be a 'build and go' project. They will have workshops on teaching people how to take care of their properties, surroundings, take pride in it. They are interviewing them now asking what is it they want to do in their lives (school, business, etc.) and are trying to get them the resources to help them make it.

Here's a great video on the project's goals:

El Proyecto de la Nueva Barquita - YouTube

more info: Bienvenido! - CuencaOzama.com

Last edited:

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Sounds like a nice project. The proof is in the pudding however. How are they going to prevent people from re-building in that area? They weren't supposed to build there to begin with. If history is any indication a lot of these people will sell their new apartments and move back to the same spot they used to live at.

Also I wish the government would stop spending money in damn churches. The money they plan to spend on two churches would be better spent on something else IMO.

CarpeDReam

Feb 17, 2006
Suarez,

This radio interview might help answer those questions; they have taken what you said into consideration:

Miguel Gonzalez Cuadra habla de proyecto plan integral la barquita en Elsoldelama?ana parte1 - YouTube

Part 2: Miguel Gonzalez Cuadra habla del proyecto integral de la barquita en Elsoldelama?ana parte2 - YouTube

As for churches: I'm not a religious person at all but I think it's better to encourage people to be a part of a religion than to be in danger of getting into gangs, drugs, etc. Church can be an alternative for the youth...certainly should not be the only one but it's a way to substitute the feeling of having a lack of 'belonging and family' that so many of the poor young children look for in society (sometimes in positive ways and sometimes in not so positive ways). The poor could always use some faith.