Taino & Haitian Paintings in Puerto Plata - Where to Buy

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
Some friends are leaving on Friday and want to purchase a coupe of Tiano and Haitian paintings before they leave. Someone said there was a vndo on the Malecon in Puerto Plata but I don't remember seeing anyone on a regular basis. Any suggestions? We could go to Sosua. I know we could find something on the walk to the beach but I'd rather not drive past the airport. Thanks!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
how about playa pueblito? leaving POP, just before playa dorada. there is a very nice beach there with gift shops and restaurants. i have seen paintings displayed there.

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
Go directly to the factories in the run down Victorian houses between 30 Marzo and San Felipe, Duarte and Antera Mota.
Any house that's full of paintings and Haitians.
And BTW, I'm sure you mean Taino style paintings.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
If you go out the "back" (not the Malec?n) entrance of La Sirena, there are paintings on display across the street facing where the cars exit.

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
Everyone, thanks again for the info. I took my friends to El Publieto (sp?) just before Playa Dorada and they found exactly what they wanted for a price that made them happy. I hadn't been to that beach/market in a couple of years and was impressed with the number and quality of the vendors (and the beach and the French restaurant). I'll be going back myself soon to enjoy the beach and maybe buy a couple of their beach-type dresses...better than I've seen in Sosua and Cabarette. Vendors were very nice and helpful and only a little pushy... thanks!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i am glad you enjoyed my suggestion. pueblito is a nice place: clean, calm and pretty.