Dominican Birth Certificate

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
In order for my daughter to renew her Dominican passport, the NY consulate says that she needs a post-2004 birth certificate (my daughter was born prior to 2004).

Does anyone know the process to get the birth certificate? Are the records centralized? Both my daughter and her mother live in the US. Will they give the birth certificate to another party? How long does the process take?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Unless centralization of records is recent, they are not. When needing a birth certificate we have had other people get them for us at the government office in the local town where they were born. The process only took a few days and there was a small fee. Make sure you get the correct form of the birth certificate as well. They have at least two different types.

(Dominican Birth Certificates have a valid lifetime of about 3 nanoseconds so make sure you use it quickly - this is a joke but those who live here would understand that birth certificates "expire" here like nowhere else. )

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
You need to know where she was registered and under what name. A phone call to the local Government office where they hold the records (register books) and they'll let you know what the cost is and whether someone can pick it up.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I actually think it is centralized now. You can request birth certificates online:

solicitudactas.jce.do

Have never tried it, but it's worth a try. What I do know is that about 3 years ago, they were digitalizing the whole administration and the plan was to make it possible that you can request a certificate in any office of the 'registro civil'.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Actually, with the info on the original birth certificate, you might be able to get a new one at the Junta Central Electoral (Junta Central Electoral de la Rep?blica Dominicana (JCE) > Portada). The online link to request it apparently is not working right now but with the book, folio number, etc you can normally order a copy online.

Oops, just saw while I was trying out the link Mauricio posted basically the same.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
You need to know where she was registered and under what name. A phone call to the local Government office where they hold the records (register books) and they'll let you know what the cost is and whether someone can pick it up.

Thanks!

I have her pre-2004 birth certificate. It has the "libro y folio" information. I'll send one of her cousins there to see if they can get a new one.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Know the declaration date

Be aware birth ceritificates are filed by the date of when the birth is declared not by date of birth unless there has be a recent change in the regulations. The date of a declared birth is when the parent/parents formally submit the required birth information to the government. Usually one has to go to the place where the declaration was made to obtain a birth certificate. In recents years this has been made difficult because the origin office says the original books have been sent to Santo Domingo to be digitized and you have to go to the capital to solicit a certificate and good luck.

This is part of the bureaucracy one has to suffer with in this country. It is difficult for Dominicans to declare births and then acquire birth documents; no money to travel, pay fees and taxes, take time off from work, or find someone to mind the other children. Think of the hell of Dominican born of documented Dominican Haitians are going through to acquire proof of birth to be "regularized"

Regards,

PJT

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
I actually think it is centralized now. You can request birth certificates online:

solicitudactas.jce.do

Have never tried it, but it's worth a try. What I do know is that about 3 years ago, they were digitalizing the whole administration and the plan was to make it possible that you can request a certificate in any office of the 'registro civil'.

Thanks!

My Spanish is not good enough to figure it out. I'll see if my daughter can navigate the site.

[Normally, my browser offers to translate the page. In this instance, it thinks it's in Galician. :confused::eek:]

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
Actually the process is super easy.

When you go to a Dominican embassy in the US, they have separate departments. One is the consulate that handles passports and whatnot, and the other is the JCE (Junta Central). She just has to go to the JCE and request her bc. They will take a couple days to get the info from home base. Once they have it they will print you a spanking new one right there on the spot. While there it's not a bad idea to get 2 just in case, I think it's only like 10 bucks a pop.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Actually the process is super easy.

When you go to a Dominican embassy in the US, they have separate departments. One is the consulate that handles passports and whatnot, and the other is the JCE (Junta Central). She just has to go to the JCE and request her bc. They will take a couple days to get the info from home base. Once they have it they will print you a spanking new one right there on the spot. While there it's not a bad idea to get 2 just in case, I think it's only like 10 bucks a pop.
Thanks. You'd think that the consulate would have told her that. She was on the phone with them twice already.

I'll have my daughter call the JCE in NY tomorrow.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
That kind of experience is to be expected unfortunately. Dealing with them over the phone is a joke, its always better to go in person.

Best of luck, let us know how your daughter fairs with the whole process.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Be aware birth ceritificates are filed by the date of when the birth is declared not by date of birth unless there has be a recent change in the regulations. The date of a declared birth is when the parent/parents formally submit the required birth information to the government. Usually one has to go to the place where the declaration was made to obtain a birth certificate. In recents years this has been made difficult because the origin office says the original books have been sent to Santo Domingo to be digitized and you have to go to the capital to solicit a certificate and good luck.

This is part of the bureaucracy one has to suffer with in this country. It is difficult for Dominicans to declare births and then acquire birth documents; no money to travel, pay fees and taxes, take time off from work, or find someone to mind the other children. Think of the hell of Dominican born of documented Dominican Haitians are going through to acquire proof of birth to be "regularized"

Regards,

PJT

Not true PJT, at least for Jarabacoa. With the school at registration time ( July - September) we have many clients going to the Junta to get originals of birth certificates for school registration and they have no problem getting them here in Jarabacoa, and yes we deal with hem over the phone with no major issues.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Not true PJT, at least for Jarabacoa. With the school at registration time ( July - September) we have many clients going to the Junta to get originals of birth certificates for school registration and they have no problem getting them here in Jarabacoa, and yes we deal with hem over the phone with no major issues.

Bob, Jarabacao may be blessed. Yet, PJT's recent experience to obtain documentation for an elder family member in the east was met with having to go to four different government offices in the area, with each denying having filed documentation. Then having to go to the capital to search there in some obscure office under the shadow of the Av 27 elevated to obtain an affidavit to be presented to the office civil back in the east so that office may issue a birth certificate. PJT and family return back east and get the same run around as before.

The above is only one example of the many PJT has experienced in attempts to secure birth certificates for family and friends.

Regards,

PJT

deepdiver

Jun 18, 2011
Why dont you use Dominican certificates.com They make it so easy if its available they get it for you

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
I'd like to thank everyone for their help. It's good to see that DR1 is still a wonderful source of information. To sum up:

I had my nephew in the DR get the birth certificate. I think he went to the capital. My daughter was born near Los Alcarizzos which is not quite in the Capital. I believe having the old birth certificate made the process much easier.

They gave him a letter saying he should come back in 5 days to pick up the birth certificate. I think the cost was about 1200RD. He emailed me a copy of the birth certificate.

The process to get the passport was incredibly fast and easy. We went to the consulate in NYC without an appointment. We were in and out in less than 90 minutes!! I was shocked. They were very friendly and efficient. A very smooth process.