Does the DR use daylight savings Time

M

MaxxJHaxx

Does the DR use daylight savings Time. Are there any time changes here this weekend??

M

merengue-lover

Re: No, too confusing! :)

I know, last year they had a time change but two months later they changed the time again. It was to early dark.

H

hillbilly

Time: Unfortunately NO!

The idiots in government don't have the mental capacity to turn back our clocks and keep us on Eastern Standard time.

So now we will be one hour ahead of New York!!
Good bye the 11 o'clock news!!
HB

D

Drake

Re: Time: keep it this way!

Hb
It was a disaster last year when Hippo turned the clock forward. Everyone went home from work in the dark. There were many accidents, increased crime, higher national energy consumption. The only people who benefited were the farmers by the extra hour in the morning. The DR is too close to the Equator to necessitate DST.

M

Marc

Re: Time: keep it this way!

Actually, right now I get home in the dark, whereas if we wound the clock back one hour with the rest of the time zone, I would not. It is not that big a difference, granted, but it would be nice.

My vote is to wind the clocks back! :)

marc

H

hillbilly

It was a disaster because there was too

much confusion. If the idiots in government has just told everyone to set their clock back one hour, everything would have been okey. (Okey, sure, there would have been a few illiterates that could not/would not understand)

There are no arguments that are valid about this Drake,. It is done to save energy in the country that uses the most energy in the world.

So what about us??

There were no more accidents than normal. There were no more school shildren involved in accidents. People were just tooconfused by the ambivalence of the government.

I guess you like going to bed at 12:30 and getting up at 6? I prefer getting an hour's more sleep, thank you...

Like the game last night. What time did it end??? Way past my bedtime...

Face it. The DR and the East Coast of the US are tied together. Besides the obvious geographical position that places us in the same time zone, there are social, and economic questions that need to be addressed.

HB

P

Pib

I agree with HB

But then, when do I not?

The problem is that the mentally challenged people in the gov did it the wrong way. If we set the clock backwards then I could leave the office and go jogging, the problem is that it is too dark in the morning and too dark when I get home. When people compared Hippy's "solution" they would rather go back to what it was before.

But I remember that when I was a kid (not long ago, I insist) we changed times at the same time as the US. I don't remember though how long it lasted and when it ended. Maybe one of the local oldies could refresh my memory.

D

Drake

Re: Daylight Saving Time Waste of Time

HB PIB
Your argument for putting the clock back is not convincing. Your only point you made was so that you can watch your baseball game at the same time as the US. Your other point was so that you could sleep an extra hour. Which in a weeks time you would not notice anyway. Why should the DR try to copy everything American? The reason why DST was such a failure here was that it was simply never needed. It had nothing to do with informing the population. DST is used in countries where it's Longitude dictates its usefulness. How many countries with Longitude 18 degrees North use DST, the Sahara, Saudi Arabia, India, Vietnam. I think not. There is a one and a half hour daylight difference from Winter Solstice to Summer Solstice here which is no comparison to the difference in most of the Northern US.

G

Golda

HB is VERY convincing

It has much more to do with television and sleep, the World's largest free market economy and the DR's largest trading partner adjust their clocks, effectively causing the DR to lose 10 hours of "business" time per week.

D

Drake

DST

What about the average Dominican who has to go home in the dark? The oposition last year to the change of time was overwhelming. Most of the oposition came from the industrial leaders. The benifits outweighed the advantages.

J

Jim Hinsch

Re: DST

October is when the USA comes OFF Daylight Saving Time, returning to Standard Time. The DR cannot go OFF it when they were never ON it. The DR did not set their clocks forward in April.

That's why setting the clocks back failed last year in the DR. It got dark too early. When the DR president realized the mistake (they were trying to go OFF DST when they were never on it), they backed out of the time change.

Now, if the DR wants to change to Eastern time zone, that's another issue.