English Teaching Opportunities

esl_prof

Dec 6, 2013
There seems to be very little on the internet in terms of discussion and networking opportunities for those who teach English or are interested in teaching English in the Dominican Republic, so I'm starting this thread in hopes of creating a space for that to happen.

I'll begin with this inquiry.

The Council on International Educational Exchange (CIEE) has posted the following teaching opportunities on their website:

Pontificia Universidad Cat?lica
Job Description : Teach in The Dominican Republic : Teach English : Teaching English Overseas : CIEE Teach Abroad

Ministerio de Educaci?n Superior, Ciencia, y Technolog?a (MEESCYT)
Teach in The Dominican Republic : Teach English : Teaching English Overseas : CIEE Teach Abroad

Both institutions are legitimate employers, and the published pay rate seems to be consistent with the local market for English instructors. The catch is this: CIEE is acting as a middleman, charging a program fee ranging from $1100 to $1900, depending on the type of teaching opportunity one is interested in.

For experienced instructors (especially those who have previous teaching experience in the D.R.), it seems that it would make sense to bypass CIEE and apply for these jobs directly with the above mentioned employers.

Has anyone on this forum have any experience teaching in either of these programs or, at least, know the names and contact information for hiring supervisors at either of these institutions?

On a related note, what other English teaching opportunities do you know about and would recommend?

Thanks!

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
This is a question that frequently comes up, usually a new poster asking about XYZ school. But you're right, it's hard to find the information all in one place. Take a look at the DR1 classified ads. There's a math position now for next semester, but if you keep checking back, you'll see more positions, and more schools.

Also, try using the "Advanced Search" function here on DR1. It's a little tempermental, but with persistence you can find some good info.

I did a quick search and found a thread that will give you a couple of leads (ignore the banter). Maybe send a pm to someone in the thread that can give you some follow-up advice or answer a specific question.

I would agree that it isn't necessary to pay for a middle man, but those with teaching degrees will have more opportunities.

Good luck!

http://www.dr1.com/forums/employment/131818-seeking-english-teaching-position-2.html

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
Thanks for taking the time to reply, Rubia! This is helpful information.

Both of these CIEE programs are offered throught the SAME institution. The MSCYT is the branch of the educational system that works with "superior level" education, or the universities. CIEE only offers placment at PUCMM (in Santiago and in Santo Domingo). The pay at the PUCMM is $495 an hour for non-masters teachers about about 560 for masters degrees. You will pay CIEE through the nose for basically getting you a position with more facility than applying on your own. What you make in your first month can pay CIEE, but if you only stay for a semester, it's not really worth it. Also, the homestays they arrange cost 20,500 pesos a month - just a little less than what a new teacher makes.

esl_prof

Dec 6, 2013
Thanks for sharing, LaTeacher! This pretty much confirms what I suspected. If I were to just head down to the D.R. for a few months and try applying directly to PUCMM (and other universities), what would be the optimal time to apply for a job? And, once I've submitted application materials, what’s the likely timeline for getting hired? My understanding is that most universidades have three terms per year, typically starting in January, May, and September.