Hacienda Tropical

J

Jasmine

Hi, my boyfriend and I have just booked 2 weeks next Feb. at the Hacienda Tropical, Puerto Plata. Last year we stayed at the RIU Merengue, which we loved but found a tad boring and isolated. Has anyone recently stayed at the Tropical, and how did it go??
Gracias, Jas

M

Marc

Jas. Hacienda and Riu are both very nice places, and I would say they are equally remote. Hacienda is closer to PP by about 10 minutes, but you still have to come into PP (or further) if you want to see more than what the resort has to offer.

Take day trips on a guagua to PP/Sosua/Cabarete...that way you'll have the best of both worlds (all inclusive and beach communities with different food for you to eat!)

marc

J

Jasmine

Re: Hacienda Tropical & Weddings

Thanks Marc!

Last year we were a bit tight budget-wise after paying for the trip, so once we got there we only did one day trip - which was excellent but we wanted to do more. This time we're there for 2 weeks so we will definitly try to visit your suggestions. - thanks for your tips!
Also, I didn't mention it in the first message but we are also getting married there in Feb, 2002. I did quite a bit of research on the web, plus saw a few weddings last year while we at the RIU, and things seemed to run smoothly.
Anyone have any comments on doing a wedding in DR? We don't have too much to worry about as it will only be the 2 of us, and 2 witneses which we will have to meet down there - free champagne and dinner for the witnesses so it shouldn't be too hard to find willing participants!!

And I wanted to add that it's great to be back on this message board - I had a lot of fun and learned so much being on it last winter before going to DR for the first time. It got me through a very cold, bleak winter - well that and the trip itself!

So, although I've done a lot of research, any additional, first-hand advice/recommendations would be appreciated
Thanks, Jas!!

M

Marc

We have heard of people getting married down here at an all-inclusive, and they end up with a full wedding party and a huge reception. Everyone loves a wedding, and it's especially easy to attract people to the reception when the hotel is paying the food and booze! You should have a great wedding, and congratulations.

you may want to check the archives on getting married in the DR, there is quite a bit of info there...may be worth a look.

marc

L

love to travel

I booked a trip for March, 2002 staying at the Hicenda as well. I'm trying to get some information on the hotel. I've heard from a few people that have stayed there and they loved it. For some reason, it's not that easy to get info on it (which makes me worry that it's not a great place). If I get any further info, I'll let you know.

T

TYLER

i'm going to the Hacienda on thursday.....I'll tell you how it went...

J

jim

you should bring youre party to "cris and maddys" after the wedding,cris is canadian and has a really nice restaurant in cofresi cove just down the road from your hotel,a lot of tourists and locals hang out at cris's,maybe i'll see you there...jim

J

Jasmine

Have you guys tried http://www.debbiesdominicantravel.com/- there were many reviews of the Hacienda Tropical, all but one or two varied from great to fabulous, however they were less favourable about the other 2 Hacienda properties nearby (which facilities can be used when booking the Tropical).

Jas!

J

Jasmine

Tks Marc! I did want to mention as well that we had planned to do it at the RIU Mrenegue, but they wern't doing wedding packages from any of the tours leaving from near us - (Ontario, Canada region).

J

Jasmine

Hey Jim, I've heard so much about Cris and Maddy's from this message board. I told hubby-to- be we will have to go with the wedding party! As I said earlier we'll have to find our wedding guests there, so we can't dissapoint our new-found friends. And...it would be great to meet someone who frequents this message board!

We don't yet know the actual wedding date, but I will let you know! Ahh - I can't believe it's three months plus a few days away!
Cheers, Jas!!