Taking a car to newyork

Yoneiri Rosario

Apr 11, 2013
Its a bit too early to think about this but, In a year or so i want to move back to new york, I will be taking a car from the 70s. I was just wondering how? Some dominicans tell me something along the line of "Haha! Take it on the ferry man, you can stay with your car and get there safe!" While it is true that if there is anyway to go with my car i would take it, I don't think there is a ferry that goes from dominican rep to new york/new jersey.

Best plan of action to take that car back to the states? (It was made in the states and imported here)

Also if i have a dominican drivers lic. is it still valid in USA for some time like how you get a 90-day permit from usa to dominican rep?

boknows

Oct 15, 2012
Welcome to the land of the free!!! Wait till you learn the meaning of taxation without representation.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Its a bit too early to think about this but, In a year or so i want to move back to new york, I will be taking a car from the 70s. I was just wondering how? Some dominicans tell me something along the line of "Haha! Take it on the ferry man, you can stay with your car and get there safe!" While it is true that if there is anyway to go with my car i would take it, I don't think there is a ferry that goes from dominican rep to new york/new jersey.

Best plan of action to take that car back to the states? (It was made in the states and imported here)

Also if i have a dominican drivers lic. is it still valid in USA for some time like how you get a 90-day permit from usa to dominican rep?

i see no reason why you cannot ship it there and get it into the country as an item of your personal possessions. maybe it will be inspected by Auto Crime to check the confidential numbers. after that has been done, i see no reason you cant get it in.

Jan 9, 2004

The hardest part will be getting transport back to the US. Do a search regarding some of the shippers sending stuff to the DR, contact them, and see if they know how to or can do a reverse shipment.

There may be boats that just travel USA to DR. However, many make further island stops.

As to the license, You indicate NY is where you are potentially headed. Check with NY DMV for answers on your DR license. Forget those international driving licenses advertised on the internet....do not waste your money.

Your vehicle, I believe, is the same one you posted pictures of on another thread. If that is the case, you are in luck as to re-entry into the US.

Because it is older than 25 years, your entry costs should be a 2.5% duty and a $500 fee. Vehicles under 25 years old are more expensive to bring in AND are required to be modified to meet current EPA/DOT specs.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The hardest part will be getting transport back to the US. Do a search regarding some of the shippers sending stuff to the DR, contact them, and see if they know how to or can do a reverse shipment.

There may be boats that just travel USA to DR. However, many make further island stops.

As to the license, You indicate NY is where you are potentially headed. Check with NY DMV for answers on your DR license. Forget those international driving licenses advertised on the internet....do not waste your money.

Your vehicle, I believe, is the same one you posted pictures of on another thread. If that is the case, you are in luck as to re-entry into the US.

Because it is older than 25 years, your entry costs should be a 2.5% duty and a $500 fee. Vehicles under 25 years old are more expensive to bring in AND are required to be modified to meet current EPA/DOT specs.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

yes; the days of grey market are over.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Jan 9, 2004
If you become a resident of NYS, you must get a NYS driver license within 30 days and surrender your out-of-state driver license. Normally, you cannot have a NYS driver license and a driver license from another state, but there are exceptions

NYS DMV - Driver License, Learner Permit and Non-Driver Photo ID Card

Windeguy:

Good info.

There is also a further click through regarding "out of country" drivers licenses and a warning of sorts on those advertised International Drivers Licenses hyped all over the net;

NYS DMV - Driver License, Learner Permit and Non-Driver Photo ID Card

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Yoneiri Rosario

Apr 11, 2013
Thanks for the insight guys, again!
So what i got from all this:
International lic. is uselss
30 days of valid use with my dominican lic. in newyork (and new jeresy?), After that i have to get one for the state i am currently in.

Thats all i really wanted to know, other than the shipping i was worried about not being able to drive it around in the states forawhile until i get a new lic. I'll still have to get a new one, but atleast i can go places for awhile....

Correct me if im wrong, thanks!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
as for 'reverse 'shipping... Rosa del Monte seems to the choice.

check w/ Hispaniola Freight in SD... Wendoline de Pena

In the US, Benchmark Export Services - ask for Stephanie

The Ro-Ro's may go back to FLA

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Since your car is from the "70's" it most likely won't have the "Polution Control Devices" required by today's laws.
Maybe it can be "grandfathered"????
You better do some online searches BEFORE you think about shipping a car you won't be able to register, or use, once it gets there.
Find out the costs of getting it "IN"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Come on Cologne..... put those spectacles on....

Playacaribe2 already said that cars this old are 'grandfathers'...

You will be too --- soon enough

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Cars LESS THAN 25 yrs must conform is how I read this..... but I'm Canadian and its not in Inuit, so hard for me to read

Jan 9, 2004
Cars LESS THAN 25 yrs must conform is how I read this..... but I'm Canadian and its not in Inuit, so hard for me to read

That is correct.

By way of example, if today (2013) you tried to bring in a 1989 model vehicle (still not quite 25 years old) you would be required to meet current DOT/EPA specs.

Today's specs include but are not limited to a drivers side airbag.....which most 1989 model year vehicles did not have, but would be required to have, if it was re-entering the country today.

Drivers side airbags were required on all vehicles beginning with the 1990 model year.*

* Vehicles with retractable seat belts were exempt.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Yoneiri Rosario

Apr 11, 2013
everything Playacaribe2 has said is true, I know that much. Since my car is 43 years old (as old as my dad, haha) it can enter the states with no cat. converter or any other co2 stopping devices. But i've never shipped a car so this is all based on what i've read

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Let me tell you a story about seat belts.
My family was in the OEM parts business.

Some fellow invented the the seat belt with the push button release..... one click and your out.... before mandatory seatbelt legislation.
More aesthetically pleasing than the airplane type.

He takes the idea to GM whose are less than enthusiastic........
remember, no mandatory belts yet

On the "old Days", seat belts were an option - you paid for them -

GM agreed to pay the guy 5 cents a buckle.... no purchase, just an 'if we use them' type deal

Guess what ??
in no time, the US mandated belts.... 5 per car in most cases..

Hello $$$$$$$...........BIG time for that man
it may continue today, but I doubt it.... he'd be buoght out by now

true story, Google it

Jan 9, 2004
Let me tell you a story about seat belts.
My family was in the OEM parts business.

Some fellow invented the the seat belt with the push button release..... one click and your out.... before mandatory seatbelt legislation.
More aesthetically pleasing than the airplane type.

He takes the idea to GM whose are less than enthusiastic........
remember, no mandatory belts yet

On the "old Days", seat belts were an option - you paid for them -

GM agreed to pay the guy 5 cents a buckle.... no purchase, just an 'if we use them' type deal

Guess what ??
in no time, the US mandated belts.... 5 per car in most cases..

Hello $$$$$$$...........BIG time for that man
it may continue today, but I doubt it.... he'd be buoght out by now

true story, Google it

Seatbelts were mandatory beginning with the 1968 model year in the US. Up until that time they were an option. My 1965 Pontiac has them and the sticker invoice lists them as an $11.00 option.

To keep this DR related as to shipping back the OP's vehicle from the DR, note that many sets of seatbelts were cut and or removed as unsightly. His vehicle would require only those features mandated by law at the time the vehicle was built. So he should check to make sure it still has its seatbelts.....as lots of them were removed by owners...remembering that while a vehicle was required to have them in 1970...they were not required to be used...that came later via legislation in the individual states.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Yoneiri Rosario

Apr 11, 2013
Was the car bought new? Just saying, with a car of that era in the DR, you may want to check that it has all of its papers in order before taking it to the US. I believe the DR was once the primary dumping grounds for stolen cars..

https://www.nicb.org/theft_and_fraud_awareness/vincheck
From what i know, it was bought off an old man in la vega, sold by his son. The car looked decent, had been painted (a legit looking paint, not too bad) new interior to match the paint (some old red honda seats). Was a lime green type car.

I hope that this isn't a stolen car, most likely isnt. I have some papers but since its so old most of the papers given to that man by the dealer is most likely gone.
Seatbelts were mandatory beginning with the 1968 model year in the US. Up until that time they were an option. My 1965 Pontiac has them and the sticker invoice lists them as an $11.00 option.

To keep this DR related as to shipping back the OP's vehicle from the DR, note that many sets of seatbelts were cut and or removed as unsightly. His vehicle would require only those features mandated by law at the time the vehicle was built. So he should check to make sure it still has its seatbelts.....as lots of them were removed by owners...remembering that while a vehicle was required to have them in 1970...they were not required to be used...that came later via legislation in the individual states.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
I only have one seatbelt, driver's side. Guess i need to get another one when i start fixing her for the other side.

Thanks again for the insight, guys.