Santo Domingo for 3 full days

dashelter

Sep 1, 2013
We are a family of 4 (2 adults + 2 kids).
We will be ariving in Santo Domingo on December 27 in the afternoon and we will be leaving on December 31 in the early am.

Can anyone help us with an itinerary of things to do while in Santo Domingo for those 3 full days?
We were also thinking of spending 1 day in the mountains in jarabacoa to do the waterfalls tour and maybe some whitewater rafting.

We appreciate all your help on an itinerary of things to do for those 3 full days and advice on the best tour company we can use if we were to spend a full day in Jarabacoa and the rest in Santo Domingo.
Besides Zona Colonial, where else to visit?

many thanks and advise.

dashelter

Sep 1, 2013
we will not have a car. We'd like to do a day trip to Jarabacoa while staying in Santo Domingo.
What would be the best transportation option to spend a day in Jarabacoa to do the waterfalls and explore the area with our pre-teens?

Please advise and thanks.

dashelter

Sep 1, 2013
Bus to jarabacoa, stay at the German guesthouse and they will take care of you.

Santo domingo, bring a camera and photo those thing people photo, churches n stuff.

Guest-House Jarabacoa - Dominikanische Republik - Domrep

Very nice people.

We are not staying overnight in Jaracaboa. We are making it a day trip from early morning and back later in the day. We want to make it a same-day trip to Jarabacoa, as we will not stay there overnight.
Please advise of best/quickest transportation option from Santo Domingo and, once we get there in Jarabacoa, what's the best option to do excursions to visit the waterfalls and get around town to explore the beauty of Jarabacoa.

Thanks for all your suggestions here and looking to your reply.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
You need to contact a tour operator or hire a car and driver for the day. Are you staying at a hotel in SD? I would suggest that you contact them and see if they can arrange a tour guide or google the info for SD and see if it gives you a direction to go in.
Normally people will rent a car for the day and strike out on their own or as I said before get a car and driver which is even bette

LTSteve

dashelter

Sep 1, 2013
You need to contact a tour operator or hire a car and driver for the day. Are you staying at a hotel in SD? I would suggest that you contact them and see if they can arrange a tour guide or google the info for SD and see if it gives you a direction to go in.
Normally people will rent a car for the day and strike out on their own or as I said before get a car and driver which is even bette

LTSteve

we were told that driving in the DR is not recommended.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Whoever told you was RIGHT!
Especially for someone not familiar with driving here.
Your days, and nights will definitely be "FULL"!!!!
I have lived in SD for 18 years, I have 4 kids.
The place we all LOVE, and LOVE to visit, is the "Jardin Botanico",..(Botanic Gardens" near our house in Arroyo Hondo.)
PLEASE, don't miss it!!!!!!!
You can take a cab from your hotel, should be less than 500 pesos fare.Although "Hotel Taxis" are really "Un Armed Thieves", so be careful, and agree on the TOTAL price, BEFORE, you get in the car!!!
There is a "Tram" to take you on a tour of the entire "Gardens", It's BIG!!!!
The costs to enter, and ride the Tram is only a few dollars.
Walk through the "Zona Colonial", see the old churches, buildings.
What hotel will you be staying at???
That 1 day tour to Jarabacoa will be a stretch.
Someone here may be able to give you the name of an honest driver with a VAN to take you around the city of SD, and even to Jarabacoa if you really want to go there.
You could just all get on a Metro Tours bus to Santiago, see some of the country, see "El Monumento" in Santiago, have a nice lunch, and take the bus back to SD in the late afternoon.
It is about 2 hours to Santiago on the bus.
There are some good restaurants in SD, many are "Italiano".
Tell us what you like to eat!
Have a great trip, and what tour are you taking that just gives you 3 days here in SD???
Tom
aka.,
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

dashelter

Sep 1, 2013
Whoever told you was RIGHT!
Especially for someone not familiar with driving here.
Your days, and nights will definitely be "FULL"!!!!
I have lived in SD for 18 years, I have 4 kids.
The place we all LOVE, and LOVE to visit, is the "Jardin Botanico",..(Botanic Gardens" near our house in Arroyo Hondo.)
PLEASE, don't miss it!!!!!!!
You can take a cab from your hotel, should be less than 500 pesos fare.Although "Hotel Taxis" are really "Un Armed Thieves", so be careful, and agree on the TOTAL price, BEFORE, you get in the car!!!
There is a "Tram" to take you on a tour of the entire "Gardens", It's BIG!!!!
The costs to enter, and ride the Tram is only a few dollars.
Walk through the "Zona Colonial", see the old churches, buildings.
What hotel will you be staying at???
That 1 day tour to Jarabacoa will be a stretch.
Someone here may be able to give you the name of an honest driver with a VAN to take you around the city of SD, and even to Jarabacoa if you really want to go there.
You could just all get on a Metro Tours bus to Santiago, see some of the country, see "El Monumento" in Santiago, have a nice lunch, and take the bus back to SD in the late afternoon.
It is about 2 hours to Santiago on the bus.
There are some good restaurants in SD, many are "Italiano".
Tell us what you like to eat!
Have a great trip, and what tour are you taking that just gives you 3 days here in SD???
Tom
aka.,
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

We will be staying at the Hilton in Santo Domingo for 3 full days, after our stay in Iberostar in La Romana area.
If someone knows of an honest driver with a van for a daytrip from Hilton SD to Jarabacoa to visit and have a feel of the mountainside of the DR, with its waterfalls, etc...that'd be great.

We can definitely do the Botanical gardens via Tram and do the Zona Colonial, which we can split in 2 days and the 3rd day spend it in Jaracaboa touring the mountains and doing some excursions there.

let us know and many thanks.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Thanks for that link Matilda!!!
If you can read Spanish, go to the "Dominicanos" part.
The prices are really good, especially for "Day Trips" to All Inclusive Resorts, all over the island!!!
Looks like there are tours/trips/adventures for everyone !!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

ZC1

Dec 8, 2013
I suggest you consider spending Friday/Saturday in the city including the Zona Colonial. It has not yet been announced but chances are that there will be another "Night of Museums" that weekend on Saturday the 28th. The museums open at night with staff dressed in period costumes. They just had one last night and it is very nice to see the old buildings lit up. If you decide to hire a driver vs. a tour company, there is a guy named Alejandro who works out of El Beaterio Hotel on Duarte across the street from Parque Duarte. He has a comfortable mini van, is very responsible, and knows his country. FYI - He does not speak English. I prefer not posting his number but you can call or stop by the hotel Friday night or Saturday morning and they will give it to you. Apolo Taxi is the best for in city travel at RD $180 to $240 per trip pretty much anywhere. Between $4.50 and 6.00 US. Driving via a rent a car is another option and in my opinion very safe though in city traffic is stressfull. The Botanical Gardens are great as well as the national museums on Maximo Gomez, though your family sounds a bit more adventure hungry. The Sand Dunes at Las Salinas are interesting and less than 90 minutes away. The beaches at Juan Dolio arre nice and not too far. Restaurants - $$$ Pate Palo in La Zona Colonial is great. $$ - Sega Fredo in La Zona Colonial for pizza and pastas and depending on age of your children - Mitre or Sofia in Piantini $$$ are both very good but not appropriate for most kids. If it should rain head to the Agora Mall as there are many food options and an indoor amusement place for small children. Have fun, be safe (no flashy jewels) and please excuse the dirty streets - we are working on making it the great city is can and will be.

dashelter

Sep 1, 2013
I suggest you consider spending Friday/Saturday in the city including the Zona Colonial. It has not yet been announced but chances are that there will be another "Night of Museums" that weekend on Saturday the 28th. The museums open at night with staff dressed in period costumes. They just had one last night and it is very nice to see the old buildings lit up. If you decide to hire a driver vs. a tour company, there is a guy named Alejandro who works out of El Beaterio Hotel on Duarte across the street from Parque Duarte. He has a comfortable mini van, is very responsible, and knows his country. FYI - He does not speak English. I prefer not posting his number but you can call or stop by the hotel Friday night or Saturday morning and they will give it to you. Apolo Taxi is the best for in city travel at RD $180 to $240 per trip pretty much anywhere. Between $4.50 and 6.00 US. Driving via a rent a car is another option and in my opinion very safe though in city traffic is stressfull. The Botanical Gardens are great as well as the national museums on Maximo Gomez, though your family sounds a bit more adventure hungry. The Sand Dunes at Las Salinas are interesting and less than 90 minutes away. The beaches at Juan Dolio arre nice and not too far. Restaurants - $$$ Pate Palo in La Zona Colonial is great. $$ - Sega Fredo in La Zona Colonial for pizza and pastas and depending on age of your children - Mitre or Sofia in Piantini $$$ are both very good but not appropriate for most kids. If it should rain head to the Agora Mall as there are many food options and an indoor amusement place for small children. Have fun, be safe (no flashy jewels) and please excuse the dirty streets - we are working on making it the great city is can and will be.

Thanks for this update.
Does Appolo Taxi takes folks from SD to Jarabacoa and back for a day trip?

Oct 28, 2011
We have an excellent driver in Jarabacoa, his name is Gustavo and his phone number is 809 546 1759. He and his family own a cab company in town "Taxi El Salto" He speaks English and will be able to help you.

Best wishes,

Michele

dashelter

Sep 1, 2013
We have an excellent driver in Jarabacoa, his name is Gustavo and his phone number is 809 546 1759. He and his family own a cab company in town "Taxi El Salto" He speaks English and will be able to help you.

Best wishes,

Michele

Thanks so much, Michele.
Would you happen to have his email address, by any chance?

dashelter

Sep 1, 2013

Best wishes,

Michele

Thanks so much, Michele.
Would you happen to have his email address, by any chance?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
No,sorry but try calling him to arrange your trip. Fees are reasonable in that area.The whole day may run $50, and you don't waste time getting lost!

OP is trying to get from Santo Domingo to Jarabacoa, I would not toss $50 numbers out there, that is clearly for a few hours LOCALLY.