If you are going to Sosua long

R

Richard

Should you be going to Sosua here are a few suggestions you may find of help. First get some pesos before you arrive, they will come in handy. I have found that it is better to get them at the airport from which I depart rather than a currency exchange in my home town which charges an arm and a leg for the service or at a kiosk at Puerto Plata airport which in my experience could be run by rip off artists. Immigration at the airport is fast. You won?t need a porter since baggage carts are available free of charge where you claim your bags. Usually customs will wave you right through with no inspection. Taxis are readily available when you exit customs; 200 pesos to Sosua last May. Take along your unused T-shirts, sandals or running shoes, which you can give to your hotel maid or shoeshine boys. They appreciate them. The going rate is 5 pesos to get your shoes cleaned and well worth it, they do an excellent job. Motoconchos (motorcycle taxis are all over Sosua, the rate in May was 10 pesos daytime, double that at night although often you can get them for 5, be sure to agree first on the charge. Regular type taxis are 40 or 50 pesos anywhere in Sosua; check first. Your hotelkeeper will most likely know a reputable driver who can also be used for day trips or what have you. Hang on to your small pesos, motoconchos learn at an early stage in their careers not to have change for gringos. The price for the gua-gua (minibus to Puerto Plata) is 10 pesos, again have the right change. No matter if you are first on or last you will still get your toes tramped on. You may prefer using a publico (public taxi), the price may be a little more but it also may be a lot more comfortable. Motoconchos aren?t the safest way to travel. Not only from an accident point of view but also watch that you don?t get a Sosua tattoo (a burn from the exhaust pipe) if you are wearing shorts. If you like pinacoladas and other blended rum drinks ask your server or bartender to use regular strength white rum not 151 which could put you on your rear real fast, it is so strong. 12% tax and 10% service is added to your cheque but remember to leave a propina (tip) for your server they depend on tips to make a living. If you rent a motorcycle it isn?t prudent to drive on the highways at night. Horses and cows don?t have lights and often other vehicles don?t either. If you are into rentabodies (female or male) and want to bring them to your hotel, clear it with the management first to sure they will be allowed in and of course the same as anywhere in the world today take preventative health measures. Avoid drugs at all costs, the DR has a 0-tolerance policy. The only pot you want to see is what contains potted palms and the only coke to use is what you mix with your rum. Should you end up in jail you could be there for a while, none of this call my lawyer stuff and your own government?s council will be there only to try and ensure you are treated the same as Dominicans. If something is against the law at home (sex with minors for example) rest assured it will most likely be against the law in the DR. Use your high school Spanish, however bad it may be, Dominicans will laugh with you not at you should you butcher the language and it is also lots of fun. Gracias and por favor will go a long way, as will also your smiles.

M

marykohn

Sounds like you're gearing up for a trip soon.

Have a great time. And let us know how it went.

Like your idea about the shoes and shirts. We left some in SDQ and some in Puerto Plata. Just wish I'd had more.

K

KenDP

Re: Guagua charges

From Sosua to Puerto Plata, the guagua charge is RD$20; the public cars (with red Sosua/Puerto Plata sign on roof) charge RD$17. If you want to be dropped off someplace off the route, your best best is the public car. They are more flexible.

From Sosua to to Cabarete costs RD$10 in guagua and RD$7 in public car (cars with blue signs on roof).

Either guagua or public car can be flagged down on the highway.

The cars with red signs on roof run between Sosua and PP; those with blue signs run from Sosua to a number of towns to the east, including Cabarete and Rio San Juan.

M

Marc

Re: Guagua charges

Hi Ken. I think you are paying too much for guaguas. From PP to sosua, RD$10, PP to Cabarete RD$15, Sosua to Cabarete RD$5RD.

Publicos are RD$15 from PP to Sosua in the day, and RD$20 at night.

Sounds like you are getting cheaper rides on the Publico between Cabarete and Sosua, though....I will have to try paying 7 pesos next time I am on one, I have been paying RD$10.

marc

R

Richard

I sure am Mary, in November and looking forward to seeing old friends (Dominican and ex-pat alike again. You can take the boy out of Sosua but not Sosua out of the boy.

C

ChicacagoChris

Richard: November 21 at 3:00 either Eddy's or Brittania. You pick the place.

R

Richard

how about Eddy's? I checked my day timer and it fits right in. lol. I'm looking forward to seeing you again Chris.