Suggested online dictionaries and resources

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Wordreference:

English to French, Italian, German & Spanish Dictionary - WordReference.com

(check out the language forum discussions as well)

Collins Dictionaries:

Collins English Dictionary | Always Free Online

Spanish English dictionary | translation Spanish English | Reverso

Merriam Webster:

Merriam-Webster Online

(they recently added a new section called Spanish Central. In my opinion, it's for beginners but can be quite helpful. I like the idea of the 'word of the day' with examples of usage in sentences. If you look up the word of the day daily, you are guaranteed to learn at least thirty words per month).

The Free Dictionary:

Dictionary, Encyclopedia and Thesaurus - The Free Dictionary

RAE

The website of the RAE:

Real Academia Espa?ola

Great website. Dictionaries are on the left hand side or use the quick search box on the right hand side.

-MP.

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I have Word Reference permanently open on my browser for my work as a translator/editor. As Marianopolita says, the forum discussions are an excellent resource as well as the dictionary. I've never asked a question there, or even registered, because almost everything has already been covered.

I recently discovered Linguee, which is good for translating turns of phrase, idioms etc. It works by trawling websites for translations of the same phrase so you have to exercise some judgement about the quality of translation. But it is useful when you have a mental block.
Linguee | Diccionario espaol-ingls, entre otros idiomas

ProZ.com is one of the top translation websites. The forum is frequented by high-calibre translation professionals so it is eminently reliable.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
I have Word Reference permanently open on my browser for my work as a translator/editor. As Marianopolita says, the forum discussions are an excellent resource as well as the dictionary. I've never asked a question there, or even registered, because almost everything has already been covered.

I recently discovered Linguee, which is good for translating turns of phrase, idioms etc. It works by trawling websites for translations of the same phrase so you have to exercise some judgement about the quality of translation. But it is useful when you have a mental block.
Linguee | Diccionario espaol-ingls, entre otros idiomas

ProZ.com is one of the top translation websites. The forum is frequented by high-calibre translation professionals so it is eminently reliable.

Wordreference is an excellent resource in many languages. It covers a lot of ground. As for the forums, I find they are bit too fast paced for me. Hundreds of people are logged in at any given time. Therefore, a question in a thread is answered within seconds. You have no chance to revise your thoughts if necessary. However, there are many good threads with helpful suggestions.

I am familiar with Linguee but have yet to use it seriously. I agree judgment is required when assessing the translations. However, the site could be helpful and with patience you can find some good translations and quite close to what you are hoping to find.

Proz.com has been around for a while. I have yet to use it for any type of translation assistance but indeed it is high level with experienced translators.

-MP.

Last edited:

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
i use wordreference all the time, it's one of my saved widows in chrome.
my cheating tool is: Spanish Verb Conjugations absolutely fantastic ;)
in my daily writing in english i use this: Thesaurus.com | Find Synonyms and Antonyms of Words at Thesaurus.com somehow i find it more useful than a dictionary.

That's an interesting link of Spanish verb conjugations. It's easy to use but something I noticed right away is that it does not include any of the compound tenses. They are very much part of everyday speech and usage.

The thesaurus link you posted I am familiar with as well. Although I have not been on the site for a while, I think it's very good. I usually have a thesaurus near by so I just look up words if need be.

-MP.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Great links!

Wordreference has been a godsend to my learning the language. I like to use SpanishDict as well and 123TeachMe for conjugations.

I think anyone who has been using Wordreference would agree that it's a tremendous resource. There's no question about it.

Spanishdict I am familiar with that website but I don't use it at all. However, I like the fact they provide examples of usage of words in a sentence. That's so key in understanding the context in which a word can be used.

The website 123 Teach Me looks fabulous. I will have to look at it in more depth to assess the level but it looks organized and structured. The verb tables are perfect and include the compound tenses. The only thing is I wish some of these links would include the rules of formation of the verbs in each verb category and tense. Learners should know the logic behind verb formation (endings) in each tense etc.

I like the idea of the daily resources as well- word of the day, phrase of the day, verb of the day.

Do you use the link and how has it helped you?

-MP.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Word of the day....

December 15, 2013

The word of the day (from the Merriam Webster dictionary) is:

chiflado- see definition and examples of usage here: English to Spanish Translation | Merriam-Webster's Spanish-English Dictionary - Spanish Central

I think chiflado is a very good word of the day to know. I decided to look it up and add the link to the synonyms as many may be more familiar with the word loco instead. However, chiflado is just as common.

Synonyms from wordreference:

chalado, ido, loco, majareta, lelo, alelado, sonado, tocado, trastornado

chiflado - sin?nimos y ant?nimos - WordReference.com

-MP.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
I forgot about this website otherwise it would have been included in my original list. This website comes up often if you research grammar topics in Spanish. When I first looked at it a few years ago, I thought it was quite thorough for an internet website on language. In fact, it's not only good for Spanish there are equivalents in other languages as well.

The website has plenty of information about Spanish and links to other resources. It's ideal if you are looking for quick answers about grammar, vocabulary, word usage etc. In my opinion, this website is a good compliment to those studying the language formally at all levels- beginner, intermediate and advanced.

Spanish Language: Learn Spanish grammar, vocabulary and culture

BTW- since I started this thread I make an effort to look up the word of the day in the Merriam Webster dictionary- Spanish Central section of their website. They are doing a great job with it and hopefully they will expand it to include more advanced topics about Spanish.

-MP.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Diccionario panhisp?nico de dudas

This is a must have dictionary for students, language professionals, writers etc. It focuses on explanations and clarification with examples of the usage of words, idioms, regionalisms etc. in Spanish that often present difficulty for all speakers.

http://www.acul.ohc.cu/DPD5.pdf

-MP.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
I just came across this link Viva Languages that has a video with examples of some accents across the Spanish-speaking world. I started a thread on accent varieties in 2013, however, it's too old or else I would have added this link to that one.

What's also good about this link is that it has language related information if you look on the right hand side in the categories sections. Some traditionally challenging grammar topics in Spanish are covered. Therefore, it can be used as a resource as well.

I think the sample of accents in the video are very good and reflect the countries represented.

While learning Spanish is a challenge for some, the variety of accents in the Spanish-speaking world can make Spanish even more of a challenge. However, the more exposure you have the easier it becomes.

[video=youtube_share;19cCLgqyR70]https://youtu.be/19cCLgqyR70[/video]

http://www.vivalanguageservices.co.uk/blog/different-spanish-accents-2/

-MP.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Verb conjugator

For those of you who want to improve your verb conjugation skills in both the indicative and subjunctive mood here is an easy to use verb conjugation site. Just type the verb in question in the box at the very top right corner, hit enter and the verb is conjugated in all tenses and moods including the imperative (command form). This is an easy way to study verbs forms if you have a mobile device.

www.conjugacion.es

-MP.

Last edited: