Retired, live full time on North Coast--How do you spend your day?

HarryLB13

Feb 21, 2012
This question is not very specific but I hope that some of you who are single, retired and
living full-time in the Sosua, Cabarete or Puerto Plata would be willing to share you every
day living experiences.

For example, I read that unless a person is into the Sosua night life, there is not much to do
in the area, especially during the day. I am single, retired and 66 year old. I am not really
into bars and lots of night life or drinking.

I do like the ladies and also like having access to a beach for early morning walks and just
hanging out during the day. I understand that there are also a couple nice gyms in Sosua.
Having recently lived in Panama City for seven plus years and Bogota for three, with trips
Costa Rica and Peru, I can say that I am drawn to living in developing countries.

However, finding things to do and meeting people with similar interest were near impossible.
I met people who were passing through (a few weeks for vacation) but in reality there were
not a large number of single retirees to hang-out with. My Spanish is at the intermediate level
but meeting locals was not ease because those who were worth meeting had jobs, works during
the day and socialized with folks in their own age groups. Those who did not have jobs, for the
most part were not worth meeting).

Having said all of that, I spent the last year here in Cleveland. I am now preparing to move
from Cleveland and to another developing country. The DR is number one on my list.
But, once we reach that 60 plus age I am not sure that it is any easier to meet people in our home country.

Thanks
Harry

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I do like the ladies

Having recently lived in Panama City for seven plus years and Bogota for three, with trips
Costa Rica and Peru, I can say that I am drawn to living in developing countries.

hmmmm

I guess the ladies are really developing!!!!!

hahahahahaha

I guess you are drawn to the easy ones.

Good for you sir!!!

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Well what do you do in Cleveland during the day now? Most people I know back home just sit in front of the tv or the computer all day when not working or go shopping. You're right there's isn't a lot to do in Sosua or Cabarete when you live here. Most just enjoy exactly that...the quietness and the social aspect. There are no malls to walk around in and buy "stuff" that you don't need. You can safely walk the beach or streets and always meet somebody you know. You can always make Sosua your hub and then take trips to other towns and visit the entire island.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I spend too much time watching English football (soccer) on TV at this time of year, and probably too much time on the internet - especially DR1 of course. I take a walk on the beach here in Cabarete almost every day which usually ends with a visit to one of the bars to undo all the good work. There is always someone to chat to if I want to. Sometimes I mix it up with a trip to Sosua for a glimpse of the "culture" there.

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
There's loads to do here if you like to be active and a little proactive.

Yoga, gym, zumba, spinning and other classes besides.
I am very into cycling here, mainly off-road when its not too muddy!
Often involves many stops for goodies along the way: yoghurt and cake in Sabaneta, fresh juices in Gaspar, chatting to pretty ladies everywhere :)

Dancing badly to bachata, merengue...going to live music when there is.
Last night Fefita in Cabarate....next weekend Zachariah Ferreira in Pop.

Shopping, cooking, hanging out at the beach.

Never a dull moment :)

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
This question is not very specific but I hope that some of you who are single, retired and
living full-time in the Sosua, Cabarete or Puerto Plata would be willing to share you every
day living experiences.

For example, I read that unless a person is into the Sosua night life, there is not much to do
in the area, especially during the day. I am single, retired and 66 year old. I am not really
into bars and lots of night life or drinking.

I do like the ladies and also like having access to a beach for early morning walks and just
hanging out during the day. I understand that there are also a couple nice gyms in Sosua.

However, finding things to do and meeting people with similar interest were near impossible.
I met people who were passing through (a few weeks for vacation) but in reality there were
not a large number of single retirees to hang-out with. My Spanish is at the intermediate level
but meeting locals was not ease because those who were worth meeting had jobs, works during
the day and socialized with folks in their own age groups. Those who did not have jobs, for the
most part were not worth meeting).

Having said all of that, I spent the last year here in Cleveland. I am now preparing to move
from Cleveland and to another developing country. The DR is number one on my list.
But, once we reach that 60 plus age I am not sure that it is any easier to meet people in our home country.

Thanks
Harry

Cleveland?????????

You poor guy.....

I went there once for business, and visited the "Flats" on the water, that was nice,

But otherwise....YIKES....

Get out.....MOVE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I worry when the dogs stop barking. The bar across from my place, i watch the drugged or homeless guys dig through the trash every morning for the little spit left in any bottles or any scraps discarded from people eating vendor food from the street. So i drink my coffee and watch chickens, dogs and men go through the trash. Its great!! I brew Santo Domingo Cafe!! But what i really enjoy is watching the women go in and out of the salon. Then come back later to the bar with their chaka chaka shoes. Arriba!!!

This is from another thread but help your dilemma....

especially the salon watching

May 29, 2006
There are worse ways to pass the time than playing Dominoes on the beach.. I dunno about Sosua anymore. Now I'm considering Cabrera, a small city or a college town. I've got about 10 years before retiring and anything could happen by then.

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
Hi Harry,

Cabarete has lots of people your age and they are very social. Friends rest. in Cabarete has a lot of retirees who gather in the morning for breakfast. You will have no problem meeting like minded people. Best of luck.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
In Cabarete, if you like sports, You have lots of people to argue with. The beach is great. There are charities to get involved in. If you have wheels, and you need it. There are many places to go and see. At first it is hard to meet people. You find out quickly who you can trust. We've been here for 8-9 years. We still go back to the US a couple times a year. You have to get off the island. It's better then any place else we looked at. You can live here at a reasonable cost and still have a good life. Just don't marry a young Dom. girl.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
I'm not a breakfast eater, all-day bar fly or beach bum so I usually walk around in the morning before it gets too hot then do the mail and news websites for a while.
A nice siesta after lunch and then it starts to get a bit boring....
There is Netflix and US or local TV available but it's not greatly satisfying so I download stuff and watch at leisure.

Buy yourself a reliable 4x4 and a decent map and go off and explore a bit. The first year here I looked at google earth the night before and picked a tricky looking itinerary then tried to follow it. It's surprising where you can end up. I live on the North coast too which I reckon is more interesting than the other bits and there are a few good routes off the beaten track.
Finding little unspoilt beaches for a swim or snorkel is fun as well.
I never had any trouble with the local people during my forays off the main roads even though my Spanish then was pretty rudimentary but out of the main towns folks were unfailingly friendly and helpful, even the cops on one occasion when I was totally lost...
Towns are horrible to navigate though!!

Finding like-minded people will be more difficult in my opinion as there is not much of a cultural scene, (maybe in SD?) and no theatres, bowling, movies or concerts, yacht clubs,aeroclubs or expat clubs etc. (except local artists which I've never had the courage to go to) so drinking seems to be the pastime of choice.

Evening walks with a drink somewhere on the way will get you to meet a few folks if you're gregarious enough.

Girlfriends here will not be a problem to find, of course, the reverse of most places.

Good luck.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
3144j87.jpg

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
when you get here get a dog. Take it for walks and meet girls. Thats 2 birds with one stone. Pickup dog doodoo. Then start all over will keep you busy for awhile.

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
I spend a lot of my time running a small charity. Plenty of scope for that here. But you need to be thick-skinned and don't expect gratitude or co-operation from locals. But you shouldn't be doing it for those reasons anyway.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Harry,
There is a lot to do - look at Sosua News - Sos?a-News Feedback , who is there and Que Paso and you will see a cross section of what really goes on in Sosua. Look at Facebook - Everything Cabarete, Everything Sosua , AAASosua etc and you will find what really happens.
Just look at the Christmas Street Party on AAASosua and you will see fun for kids . adults and families!

Olly and the Team

HarryLB13

Feb 21, 2012
Again, thanks to all of you. You guys have provided far more information than I expected.
When I arrive, I plan to look into some of the suggestions. It appears that lots of the
long-term/retired folks live in the Cabarete area.
Harry

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I spend too much time watching English football (soccer) on TV at this time of year, and probably too much time on the internet - especially DR1 of course. I take a walk on the beach here in Cabarete almost every day which usually ends with a visit to one of the bars to undo all the good work. There is always someone to chat to if I want to. Sometimes I mix it up with a trip to Sosua for a glimpse of the "culture" there.

there is no such animal as "watching too much soccer".