A Helping Hand In Sosua

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

Ms Jacqueline Jim?nez lost her husband 18 months ago. Since then she lives with her eight small children in abject poverty because her husband was the breadwinner. She could not pay the rent anymore, nor the food and school fees. Even the debt due to the local grocer was so high, she could not get credit anymore. A local TV station brought this alarming situation to the attention. The chairman of the foundation Samaritan (la Fundaci?n El Samaritano), Arismendy Medina and the head of the Foundation, John Huizinga, discussed with Mayor Ilana Neumann about what aid they could provide to this widow and her eight small children. Tuesday afternoon the mayor handed over the keys to a new home in the Villa Para?so district to the overjoyed and moved to tears widow.

The mayor and the Samaritan Foundation will provide financial support for the next few months until the family has adapted to their new situation.

May 29, 2006
If the Church wants these people to have so many kids, maybe a tiny fraction of what they collect could go to life insurance for the men who father them. No wonder why there are so many orphanages..

shunch

Nov 21, 2012
I think that is great. But... What's going to happen after they stop helping? She will be right back in the same situation. No? Or am I missing something. Was she given a job?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I think that is great. But... What's going to happen after they stop helping? She will be right back in the same situation. No? Or am I missing something. Was she given a job?

That is a good question. I hope that "has adapted to their new situation" means the mother now has some means to provide for her family on her own.

bilko

Aug 5, 2011

I would think raising eight children is a job itself.

May 29, 2006
She could prob work as a maid(if the kids are in school) but does that pay? $RD5000/month for part time?

Aug 21, 2007
I wish this woman well, too. She is only one of many, many.

I am glad the mayor is doing her part and helping. But, know that there are countless unsung heroes who do the same with no need for a press release to give them recognition. I am not saying that I don't support the mayor. I am just sad that Sosua News decided to turn an act of kindness into a political statement. Doing so takes away the good will that each of us, unexpectedly, experiences when we do a kind, random act. The blessings don't return as readily when there is a hidden agenda to our actions.

I hope this press release generated not from the mayor's office or some other-motivated governmental office, but from Sosua News.

I might add that there are several very high profile, wealthy (Dominican and other) North Coast business people who do the same, without the desire or need for others to know.

Lindsey

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I wish this woman well, too. She is only one of many, many.

I am glad the mayor is doing her part and helping. But, know that there are countless unsung heroes who do the same with no need for a press release to give them recognition. I am not saying that I don't support the mayor. I am just sad that Sosua News decided to turn an act of kindness into a political statement. Doing so takes away the good will that each of us, unexpectedly, experiences when we do a kind, random act. The blessings don't return as readily when there is a hidden agenda to our actions.

I hope this press release generated not from the mayor's office or some other-motivated governmental office, but from Sosua News.

I might add that there are several very high profile, wealthy (Dominican and other) North Coast business people who do the same, without the desire or need for others to know.

Lindsey

Lindsey, I understand your point, but think it is idealistic. The mayor depends on votes to stay in office, as do elected officials all over the world. Hiding their light under a bushel does not get politicians votes/reelection. People vote for politicians if they think they are doing a good job. Press releases and news conferences are among the ways that elected officials let their constituents know that they are working hard for them.

If those "very high profile, wealthy (Dominican and other) North Coast business people" were elected officials, you can be certain they would make sure everyone knew what they were doing.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yes, it makes perfect sense to give a new house to someone who has no job, no money and no means to pay any bills.

Aug 21, 2007
Lindsey, I understand your point, but think it is idealistic. The mayor depends on votes to stay in office, as do elected officials all over the world. Hiding their light under a bushel does not get politicians votes/reelection. People vote for politicians if they think they are doing a good job. Press releases and news conferences are among the ways that elected officials let their constituents know that they are working hard for them.

If those "very high profile, wealthy (Dominican and other) North Coast business people" were elected officials, you can be certain they would make sure everyone knew what they were doing.

With all due respect to you, Ken, then I choose to be idealistic. Just as "Hiding their light under a bushel" does not generate votes, a prostitute who doesn't show her assets doesn't get jobs.

I like the mayor. I think she is doing a good job. Somehow, I think she has a bright future ahead. I just hate to see her acts of generosity cheapened by the press machine. I understand it's not realistic, but that's my belief.

Lindsey

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
I think some sort of training in self sufficiency would be in order here.
What's going to happen in a few months? How will they survive?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
A happy ending....good

Though the question in my mind is....8 children?? Maybe a little contraception might be in order?

don't you think it might be a bit late for that? what this woman needs is help, not social commentary. yes, she made some poor life choices, and having 8 children is not a smart idea. that can be the subject of an article on children as a source of financial hardship. how about starting such a thread? in the meanwhile, some people with a heart are merely trying to be their brother's keeper.(or sister's)

jmnorr

Nov 22, 2012
Let's all be thankful someone has been helped.....it is the small things in life that count....granted a house is no small thing but hope and kindness can make big changes in ones life

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
Then I think you missed the general thrust of my message which is that I am glad this woman has been helped.

However, I think it is also fine to discuss the broader issues here.
And the broader issue is not finding one house for one woman in need but starting to address some of the bigger aspects to these stories. And for me, a little more sex education would not be a bad thing.

Can you really take issue with this??

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Call me crass, hard-hearted, or whatever, but I, for one, have NO empathy for the types for whom the light bulb does no come on after the third, fourth, or even fifth child. At that point are contingencies brought into play, in the event the breadwinner dies, or decides to leave? IMO, its simply common sense. Oh, my bad, we're speaking of the typical dominican here.
and before ya'll decide to jump me for Dominican-bashing, ask yourselves the question; am I speaking the truth?

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
they solved the problem of rent, but apparently she would still have no money coming in for food.