It Pays to Shop Around

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I needed PVC tubing, 40 whatever pressure capability for a cistern installation.

I checked 5 places - from Cabrera to Cabarete ( Cabrera, Rio San Juan, Gaspar Hern and Cabarete)- plus called Ochoa in STI.

Prices from 400 a length (19') to 600..... huge variance

Ochoa the best, RSJ and Cabarete the 600's

PapaTerra was 436 and more than one hour closer to me -- free delivery.

Just throwing that out..... I thought the variance was WAY too much... and they had ZERO price elasticity .

I needed 20 lengths of 1 1/2" tubo

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
Ever wonder why the pipes are only 19ft and not 20ft?

Another place to try next time is Bellon in Santiago.
In the past they always seemed to have better prices then OchoA on many things.

and they had ZERO price elasticity .
OchoA usually gives a little discount if you tell them you are paying in cash.
You need to go to the guys at the desks to place your order and pay at a different cashier.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
FYI, The Cabarete store = Linares, I think, gives 10% off for cash

I did negotiate a discount..... I just paid this morning and had the owner on the carpet - with cash in hand..... he actually showed me his cost on the computer..... and I had my plumber with me who was born in GH.

I was playing all the cards....

Tambo is just using his usual humor to brighten his day.... I get the joke.
His 19' will be 4" at a time....... if he makes it:devious:

May 29, 2006
Yeah, but 19ft is 5.8 meters. I'm not sure if the 40' containers are the reason why, but it makes the most sense to me. A 20ft container has an interior length of just under 19ft. I unpacked a dozen or so containers when I was in Pacific Islands and everything is made to either go on 40" x 48" pallets or fit perfectly by the case. The pallets are packed into squares 88" per side, usually two layers high.