Parque de las luces

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
Don't know how long this will go on, but if you have a chance stop by the park at Bolivar and Alma Mater.
Nearly every tree is lit with different colored lights. Perfect place for families or really anyone.

Free to enter and there are food and beverage stands. All the usual Christmas themes are presented ( the manger, snow men, nutcracker etc)

This is one of those things that I like about living in a city.

Last edited:

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
To each his own...I went there on a Saturday evening and will never go back. Too many people, too many lights decorated without criteria and too many commercials.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Thanks for posting photos and telling us about the park. In this day and age, with everyone having cameras in their phones, it seems odd that hardly anyone posts photos about the nice happenings in the DR.

It doesn't always have to be about crime scenes or murders, for cryin' out loud.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Thanks RG84, If anyone knows how much longer the display will be up please post the date.

If in the area you can also take a ride to Agora Mall as they also have some beautiful Christmas decorations. Nothing like the pics posted above but still nice to see.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
It's going to be open at least until the second week of january 2014, so there's plenty of time for those who want to visit. Not a whole lot of parking places, so either get there early or take a cab. I haven't actually visited the park, but I drive by it every day and from the street it looks great, specially at night.

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
To each his own...I went there on a Saturday evening and will never go back. Too many people, too many lights decorated without criteria and too many commercials.

Ha HA Ha you sound like Scrooge, bah humbug. Yes I agree too many commercials, but somebody has to pay for the displays and it really doesn't take away from the look. Unless we only want to see the negative side.

I knew it was going to be crowded so I went on a week night and it was still packed but once again not enough to make it unpleasent.

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
When I first heard about this I didn't think much of the idea. Conjured images of the Vegas strip and I like to see snow with my Christmas decorations. Wife finally talked me into going last week (mid week) and lo and behold ...I LIKED IT! Kids loved it, very family oriented, and even decent pizza available. Actually put me in a holiday spirit.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Ha HA Ha you sound like Scrooge, bah humbug. Yes I agree too many commercials, but somebody has to pay for the displays and it really doesn't take away from the look. Unless we only want to see the negative side.

I knew it was going to be crowded so I went on a week night and it was still packed but once again not enough to make it unpleasent.

I admit...I'm in a negative flow....Christmas does that to me....:roll eyes:

I do like the christmas decoration people put outside their houses though and what some businesses do. There is a certain office or embassy on Anacaona / Privada who had a very nice decoration last year (haven't seen it this year in the evening, but passed by this afternoon and saw they have a eiffel tower construction).

It's just that this 'parque de luces' has too much randomly placed lights on too many trees of too many different colors. bah.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
To RG84 the OP, this post is not meant to distract from your thread but to compliment it. Here are a few pics of the other side of the coin.

As I expected I arrived a day late and a dollar short to see the light show but none the less I had a nice evening. That is really a nice little park. Only a square block but the kids in the park were having such a good time. Reminds me of when you would just pack up a picnic lunch and let the kids run in the park all day. (for me that surely was some time ago)

I am without a doubt in your corner as I do like to post up good things when I see them in SD, and that is quite often. I guess we are both still wearing rose colored glasses although mine have a few scratches. LOL

Thanks again for sharing...............

346vns3.jpg

rvhlw3.jpg

vzyip1.jpg

210jf35.jpg

9rjcxu.jpg

nmku88.jpg

2ztag4g.jpg

Last edited:

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
Hey BB, thanks for adding some day pics, very nice.

Never want people to think it's all good here, but it ain't all bad. When you see those nice things in a place that's not know for having them I think it's good to post it. Who wants to report just negative stuff? LOL

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I know, almost a year old thread but has anyone heard if the light show will be returning this year? I missed it by a day last year.

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
I know, almost a year old thread but has anyone heard if the light show will be returning this year? I missed it by a day last year.

I think I read that it started this year around last weekend, if not then it will be any day now. Something like 29million lights are used....quite a sight to see...............but very little parking nearby and traffic gets horrendous (even more than usual) so be prepared to park a few blocks away and hoof it.......Enjoy!!!!

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
Supposed to be even better than last year. The "freelance" parking assistants did a pretty good job of finding places for you to park last year.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i will be in minority here but i hate xmas decorations in the tropics. it's jingle bells and not jingle balls, loosely clad in old speedos.