am I responsible for my husbands debt?

catwoman

Oct 7, 2009
I am married to a Dominican man but I am european.My husband has accrued large debts with his business; are his creditors are his creditors able to demand money from me and/or take to the courts and the fiscal? I am not a DR citizen and do not have a cegiler ? spelling

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it's called cedula. and yes, it is my understanding you are responsible for your spouse's debts. not sure how far they can go but seeing that you are foreigner an you do not know much about dominican laws they can at least try to shake you for cash. i suggest that you contact a good lawyer to see what can be done and how much do you stand to lose.

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
My friends wife is in a few million pesos personal debt, they are both dominican, although he o ften works in the US. They can not touch him for her personal debt.

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
My understanding is that it depends on whether they can consider it a joint debt or solely his personal debt. This gets very muddy with marriage as a lot of things you wouldn't normally consider joint can be. If he earns money in his business, is it joint money? Do you share bank accounts? Does he deposit business income into the shared personal bank account? There are so many different things they can look at to try and loop you in. If they think you have money and he doesn't they will at least try to come after yours. There is no certain answer any of us can give you on here without knowing all the details of your situation and a lot more about how the local laws treat each one of them. You really need to have a good lawyer start looking at this so you can be prepared in case something does happen. Those who would sit around and wait and see and leave things to chance will often be unprepared and end up losing or as dv8 said "shaken".

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I am married to a Dominican man but I am european.My husband has accrued large debts with his business; are his creditors are his creditors able to demand money from me and/or take to the courts and the fiscal? I am not a DR citizen and do not have a cegiler ? spelling

You clearly need to see a good lawyer. If you are in the DR, let us know where you are and somebody may be able to recommend a good and honest attorney. The firm of Guzman Ariza would be a good choice. They have offices in a number of locations. Dominican Attorneys | Guzman Ariza Law Firm in the Dominican Republic

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011

You cant be responsible for someone else?s actions. I don?t think that his creditors can really demand money from you or take any legal action against YOU. Have you cosigned anything for him to get any loan or something?

Fredo

Mar 17, 2013
sincerely hope this is not the case but.. is he really in depth, because this sounds like the classic scam to get money out of gringa's...

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

Is the company incorporated or registered in the DR. I would think if it is a corporation than those depts are those of the corporation and not personal debt. You need an attorney to sort this out.

LTSTeve

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
No assets in DR you can relax. "A good lawyer" b.s. that's Like an honest politician or a chicken with teeth. Most Dominican men just move on to the next women and do not waste time getting even with lswyers.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
If the husband and wife have a joint bank account they will go after the money.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You have to wonder about a person's judgement, who asks for important "Legal Advice" on a website, from people who have no idea what we are talking about!!!!
Of course you have to ask the same question about a foreign woman who would marry a Dominicano, and not even know what a "cegilar" is!!!!!!

TWO WORDS, "Mi Amor",......"Guzman Ariza"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Since it's rainy day, I think I'll go back and refresh my memory by reading "Catwoman's" old posts.
That should get me a laugh, or 20!!!
Aside from the "DRUGS", and the "Private Detective" needed in "POP", pretty boring!

Last edited:

palito de koko

Nov 23, 2013
I guess it depends on how you were married, I mean with SEPARACION DE BIENES or without

If you were married with separacion de bienes I believe that nobody can take your personnel belongings away

If you were married without that, I believe that they can take 50% of the belongings away (50% is yours and 50% belong to your husband)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Since it's rainy day, I think I'll go back and refresh my memory by reading "Catwoman's" old posts.
That should get me a laugh, or 20!!!
Aside from the "DRUGS", and the "Private Detective" needed in "POP", pretty boring!

i felt inspired and looked them up too. there's in interesting story right there! ;)

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
You have to wonder about a person's judgement, who asks for important "Legal Advice" on a website, from people who have no idea what we are talking about!!!!
Of course you have to ask the same question about a foreign woman who would marry a Dominicano, and not even know what a "cegilar" is!!!!!!

The worst part is marrying a Dominican without knowing what type of financial situation he's in. Broke is not as bad as being in debt, but both situations should be avoided. She probably married for "love"...

catwoman

Oct 7, 2009
Thanks to all of you who replied with sincere advice, I intend to seek legal advice.
To cris colon and platinum..... You must lead very boring lives!!!!! Nothing better to do than slate people, I wonder if you would be so quick to do so, if. Your true identity was known???

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My, "True Identity" is known by any DR1er who cares to know it.
Many do!
Did you actually marry the guy you hired the "Privates" investigator to follow????
I bet we already have that one figured out!!!!
Merry Christmas
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

sophiadcruise

Dec 31, 2013
I am afraid that how can you say you are not a Dominican citizen, since you married a Dominican you are now a Dominican anyhow. If you can be a Legal seeker of your husband's property your are definitely liable to get over his debts as well. As far as you are married to him you have to get engaged in any good or bad situation related to him.