Travellers cheques

Rosss

Jan 22, 2007
Does anyone know if one can cash travellers cheques without going to a bank in the Cabarete/Sosua area?

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
I presume you can go to banks elsewhere other than cab/sos, hotels might but you'll probably have better luck in the museum.

May 29, 2006
I doubt anywhere else other than a bank(and I'm not even sure in banks anymore). I'm also surprised they still sell those. ATMs are all over..

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
They are useless here. Do not bring them. Do leave home with out them. If you could find the one person who may still accept them in the country you would be hit with a high commission and a very poor exchange rate. You probably will lose 20% or more of he value on exchange. That plus the time and gas to find the one person who will still accept them.
Again USELESS here.

Bob K

gray

Apr 11, 2013
Just had a family member come and had them I said what are these nobody will cash those. But was in POP and banco popular cash them with no problem just needed passport and the exchange was no different than American cash! Hope this helps. This was in nov of 2013

Gray

bellakins

May 31, 2008
I have used travelers checks. They can be cashed at a bank with a passport as ID. Better than paying high ATM fees.

Now, I cash personal checks with a Casa de cambio which is even better, but takes an initial personal recommendation.

Rosss

Jan 22, 2007
Thanks everyone, for your replies. Must remember to leave my 8-track cartridges at home.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Whatever gets the job done...

chiclets_small_box.jpg

Yapese_stone_money_2007.jpg

Rai stones - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

May 29, 2006
I visited one of the islands where those stones were mined. The value wasn't much so in the rock itself, but what someone had to do to produce one. You had people on the island of Yap go by a boat made from a couple of palm trees travel to Palau to quarry the stones, cut them and then carry back. If you had a rai stone, it meant that you were an organized, and formidable navigator.

They navigated some 1500 miles over open ocean. They could detect subtle ripples in the ocean created by waves going around an island, and follow them to get to shore from 100 miles off in open ocean. Being able to produce a stone like was something like bringing back moon rocks from another planet, that weighed a lot. It was the size of the stones that may hauling it back in an out-rigger boat so impressive. This is the kind of boats they used:

2sbonjd.jpg

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Does anyone know if one can cash travellers cheques without going to a bank in the Cabarete/Sosua area?

Bring a debit/credit card and use it as you need cash. Do not bring travellers checks or a lot of cash with you.

LTSteve

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I visited one of the islands where those stones were mined. The value wasn't much so in the rock itself, but what someone had to do to produce one. You had people on the island of Yap go by a boat made from a couple of palm trees travel to Palau to quarry the stones, cut them and then carry back. If you had a rai stone, it meant that you were an organized, and formidable navigator.

They navigated some 1500 miles over open ocean. They could detect subtle ripples in the ocean created by waves going around an island, and follow them to get to shore from 100 miles off in open ocean. Being able to produce a stone like was something like bringing back moon rocks from another planet, that weighed a lot. It was the size of the stones that may hauling it back in an out-rigger boat so impressive. This is the kind of boats they used:

2sbonjd.jpg

In the DR it's a little different, the bigger the Yipeta the more the prestige. The difference being that skill, accomplishment and integrity are not necessarily needed to acquire a Yipeta.