Hillbilly's Rules for getting serious with a Dominican

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
It's been a long while since Hillbilly's 3 Rules for getting serious with a Dominican have been posted, so for the benefit of all of you who've joined us the past couple/few years, here they are: (they apply equally for males or females)

Hillbilly's Three Golden Rules for getting serious with a Resort worker or any other Dominican for that matter:

1) He has a bank account equal to your own-in pesos, not dollars or pounds (You have 100 pounds, he has 100 pesos, that's all.). He has a Credit Card and can write a cheque.
2) He has a Visa to travel to the US or Canada
3) He is educated to the equivalent of your own level: High School, Tech School whatever.....

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
I saw a mail order bride documentary where they guy and chic needed en int?rpreter with them on dates.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
Not much left over after those rules.........only thing left is what gets us in trouble

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
The biggest rule in my estimation is the language barrier. Unless both partners have at least one language in common it is impossible to sustain a long term relationship. Most English speaking Men have a hard enough time understanding Women who speak English as a 1st language and most English only speaking Women don't listen to their Men who speak in English any more than they would if he was speaking Mandarin, Farsi or Amharic.

There must be a common tongue into which Cat and Dog can be translated.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
i was talking with a guy this afternoon, who asked me if i was going to spend Christmas in the DR, or abroad. in the course of the conversation, he told me he had never traveled abroad in his lifetime. he was born and raised in POP, and the only time he had ever left the area was in 1999, when he went once to a doctor in Santiago. he has never seen Sosua, or Cabarete, or anywhere in the area. just the road to and from Santiago.

why is this relevant, you ask? well, imagine meeting the daughter of that guy, and trying to communicate with her, at any level .too many guys here end up with girls from the bottom of the barrel, who, on their best days, are nothing but liabilities, a disaster looking for a place to happen. worse yet, they cannot seem to see what is happening around them. they believe that the cautionary words are melodrama, because their girl is different. so, i ask them the same question;

how is it that you are so lucky to have gotten this great girl? she has lived here for 25 years, and you just happened to be the lucky guy who snagged her the first week you came on a visit?

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
Most men and women use the "language of love" to comunicate with thier newfound partners. I works great until they get out from between the sheets and try to talk to one another.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
I've tried Google Translate to try and figure out what is being said here, but alas, it is unable to come up with a translation. Can anyone help ?...............It's something about Christmas and a girl and Puerto Plata and a doctor in Santiago.........????

Ufffffffffffffff..............................

That's easy:

"You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear"

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I've tried Google Translate to try and figure out what is being said here, but alas, it is unable to come up with a translation. Can anyone help ?...............It's something about Christmas and a girl and Puerto Plata and a doctor in Santiago.........????

Ufffffffffffffff..............................

let me simplify it for you. the average guy who comes to this land ends up with women with whom they have less than zero hope of communicating. all bets are off for any kind of meaningful relationship when you end up with someone whose vista is limited by lack of any kind of exposure. a nice ass goes only so far in a relationship.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
My wife when I met her did not have a Visa to Canada or the USA, but she had traveled to Italy, France and Spain. She had lived in Colombia for two years when she was married to a Colombian Military guy (Colonel) and spoke some English. I think each person you meet, regardless of financial wealth or ability to travel abroad has to be taken on the whole. Intelligence, Education, vision for the future, personality, looks...etc.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
In my case, when I met Mr. AE in Santo Domingo we were both young [mid 20s], had almost identical education, he had a US Visa, a good job, a car, and spoke English. No English would have been a deal breaker for me. I didn't "meet" him, we were introduced by a mutual friend. I wasn't looking for anyone, it just happened. The first few years of marriage weren't roses & lollipops, but we adapted and made a good life. Everything we have we worked for together. Last Thursday was our 37th anniversary.

May 29, 2006
Dating a Dominican is like starting a business. If you haven't had any luck in the US(or elsewhere), don't expect it to be any easier in the DR.

Last edited:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
In my case, when I met Mr. AE in Santo Domingo we were both young [mid 20s], had almost identical education, he had a US Visa, a good job, a car, and spoke English. No English would have been a deal breaker for me. I didn't "meet" him, we were introduced by a mutual friend. I wasn't looking for anyone, it just happened. The first few years of marriage weren't roses & lollipops, but we adapted and made a good life. Everything we have we worked for together. Last Thursday was our 37th anniversary.

congrats, AE. not many like you and Mr AE around, i can assure you.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i count 2 successful dr1 relationships between a gringa and a dominicano: AE and chiri.

contasm

May 10, 2005
Not much left over after those rules.........only thing left is what gets us in trouble

Hillbilly?s Rules Revised - HB Lite (The Diet Version)

Very few cases meet Hillbilly?s strict rules, and even if we ?relax? Hillbilly?s rules a bit, by ?diluting? them, the rules might not get a tourist close to a happy ending.

I think HB rules could guarantee a ?somewhat successful, lasting relationship?, but what about those ladies who want a bit more than ?a roll in the hay? but expect less than ?marriage or a committed relationship?. These are what I call ?InBetweeners?, they want something more that a ?Holiday Affair? but don?t want to take it too seriously nor being taken advantage of

Should we water down HB rules ?
Folks, remember, we are looking for rules that are not as strict as HBs but that will try to guarantee, @ least, a bit of security and piece of mind

HB Light or Diet HB

Examples : Downgrading educational level to : ?your education level minus one level? (yEL ? 1EL)

1 - Education :
If you have a bachelor?s degree; he should have @ least a high school diploma.
If you hold a Masters or PhD; he should have some college education; note that I?m not suggesting for resort worker (RS) to have a bachelors, otherwise he wouldn?t be working in a resort to start with.. (unless he?s @ management level)

2 - English:
Should be good enough to hold an entry level job in retail/service industry in USA or Canada.

I think with these 2 points; your ?new love of your life? and you are well equipped to have a chance to what could be a happy beginning (but, again, not predicting a happy ending).

DR1 readers; please, feel free to comment.

Note to Hillbilly :
Hi Luis; by not means these are intended to replace ?Hillbilly?s Golden Rules?, they are the gold standard and corner stone to a serious relationship.
They are intended for the less discriminating tourist looking for a romantic adventure without the headaches of a broken heart.

Saludos
Contasm

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
What a complete crock!

How many couples are made up of the same financial background, visa status and education level?

I was married to one once, she even had the same nationality as me....it was a complete disaster!

Life with my much younger, prettier, poorer, less educated, (OK so she does have a UK visa) Dominican wife is absolute bliss!

Generalisations made by the OP are offensive!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Hillbilly’s Rules Revised - HB Lite (The Diet Version)

Very few cases meet Hillbilly’s strict rules, and even if we “relax” Hillbilly’s rules a bit, by “diluting“ them, the rules might not get a tourist close to a happy ending.

I think HB rules could guarantee a “somewhat successful, lasting relationship”, but what about those ladies who want a bit more than “a roll in the hay” but expect less than “marriage or a committed relationship”. These are what I call “InBetweeners”, they want something more that a “Holiday Affair” but don’t want to take it too seriously nor being taken advantage of

Should we water down HB rules ?
Folks, remember, we are looking for rules that are not as strict as HBs but that will try to guarantee, @ least, a bit of security and piece of mind

HB Light or Diet HB

Examples : Downgrading educational level to : “your education level minus one level” (yEL – 1EL)

1 - Education :
If you have a bachelor’s degree; he should have @ least a high school diploma.
If you hold a Masters or PhD; he should have some college education; note that I’m not suggesting for resort worker (RS) to have a bachelors, otherwise he wouldn’t be working in a resort to start with.. (unless he’s @ management level)

2 - English:
Should be good enough to hold an entry level job in retail/service industry in USA or Canada.

I think with these 2 points; your “new love of your life” and you are well equipped to have a chance to what could be a happy beginning (but, again, not predicting a happy ending).

DR1 readers; please, feel free to comment.

Note to Hillbilly :
Hi Luis; by not means these are intended to replace “Hillbilly’s Golden Rules”, they are the gold standard and corner stone to a serious relationship.
They are intended for the less discriminating tourist looking for a romantic adventure without the headaches of a broken heart.

Saludos
Contasm

why should the partner be the one saddled with the responsibility of speaking english well enough to hold an entry level job in the USA? how about the American learning to speak spanish beyond 'donde esta el bano?"

Status
Not open for further replies.