Huelga at La Granja (Las Terrenas)

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Unfortunately the main sewer developed a leak a couple of days ago and half the main street is flooded with evil looking and smelling liquid. The ayuntamiento is being extremely slow or lax doing anything about it. The local Junta de vecinos decided in protest to build a stone barrier across the road. This is intended to inconvenience the ayuntamiento as the area's main rubbish dump can only be reached via this main street by their dustbin lorries or garbage trucks. The big problem is that it inconveniences everybody who lives here too. A car cannot possibly get into town, no taking anyone to school, no last minute Christmas shopping, no collecting parcels from Amazon and the like. Yesterday they were not even letting pedestrians through.
After much argy bargy this ban was lifted and the pavement partially cleared for motor cycles. The big problem yesterday was how to get my son to the airport to rejoin his family for Christmas. Nobody had the telephone number of a taxi, the last two editions of LT7 are so full of adverts for restaurant's meals of French festive culinary delights like foi gras that they had no room for their usual list of useful telephone numbers. Luckily a Dominican friend of ours remembered he had a friend with a car living outside the La Granja wall. We ferried him down to the wall in our car, got him and his baggage over the wall and he arrived home safely. We had more adventures like this trying to get young daughter to school but you get the idea.
Today at 7am, hurrah, hurrah we learnt there is now a gap in the wall. Because I was typing this se fue la luz! Luckly it came back on again an hour later so I was able to finish this off.

While I'm at it " a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year" to all my readers!

Why do you like living in the Dominican republic?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Good Luck" with any "Work" getting done this month!
Two months pay in your pocket kills any incentive you MAY have had to do your job.
Being drunk "24/7" doesn't help either!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Besides, "Raw Sewage Running Down The Street".
What's your problem??????

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
La Granja is where the big LPG supply tank is. East of the new caretera. The road is now open.

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
I haven't been on DR1 for awhile, "granca"---so happy belated new year! Your problem and solution made me smile! :) After almost 6 yrs of part-time living here, I still love the DR more every day!! We need to meet some time for a cervesa!
:)susan