Interesting story about an emergency stay at a DR Hospital...

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Malaria: The dangers of not taking anti-malaria tablets

Last Christmas saw Mandy George in a coma in a Dominican Republic hospital.

Her mum and brother had flown to her bedside, and were praying she would fight off the malaria parasite that was attacking her organs and sending her body into septic shock.

"Everything that could go wrong in my body went wrong," she says.

After living and working in Haiti for more than two years, she had stopped taking anti-malarial medication.

During her treatment in hospital
Recovering in hospital with some of her medical team
No one else she knew there was taking it and she had heard people say that the medication was harmful when taken long-term.

That information was wrong, and the decision nearly cost Mandy her life.

Go to the full article here:

BBC News - Malaria: The dangers of not taking anti-malaria tablets

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
So she caught it in Haiti. What does this have to do with the DR. Now every tourist to DR tourist zones will be asking if they have to take the meds. Stirring the pot are we????
Maybe your title should read "Malaria: The dangers of not taking anti-malaria tablets when visiting Haiti"

Bob K

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
in all honesty there are cases of malaria in DR, 532 this year, to be precise. some of this is "imported" from haiti but lots is from DR itself, provincia la altagracia is under yellow alert because of malaria.

there is, of course, no real danger to the tourist and to most dominicans.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Take reasonable measures to protect yourself

So she caught it in Haiti. What does this have to do with the DR. Now every tourist to DR tourist zones will be asking if they have to take the meds. Stirring the pot are we????
Maybe your title should read "Malaria: The dangers of not taking anti-malaria tablets when visiting Haiti"

Bob K

What does it have to do with the DR ? The DR is the jumping off point for many visitors to Haiti be they tourists, business people, humanitarians, and so on. The DR is a convenient location where anti-malaria tablets can be obtained and where treatment is provided.

Note: The CDC describes the risk for malaria in the DR as low and that risk includes the resort areas. The only areas without malaria are Santo Domingo and Santiago. The CDC says the risk for malaria is high in Haiti.

So be aware of the risks and take reasonable measures to protect yourself depending on your location and that includes appropriate clothing and mosquito repellent.

Regards,

PJT

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
Depending on your physical condition and sensitivity, some malaria drugs can indeed be dangerous for you.
Been there, done that.
Take them only under a competent (ahem!) doctor's guidance.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Its actually good PR for the dr. She describes a good stay in hospital and great medical staff so......

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
...and if anyone read the article it sounds like she caught it not in Haiti, but in the US virgin islands. She just didn't do anything about it until she went back to Haiti and started getting worse.

GWOZOZO

Bronze
Dec 7, 2011
90% of cases are in negro africa.

Haiti is an african country.

That is why it is extremely important that DR seals that border to protect its people and its tourist industry.

There will be new and easier to catch diseases in the future.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
Yup. I propose to expel all illegal tiger mosquitoes too...

GWOZOZO

Bronze
Dec 7, 2011
Can you post a link to a map showing Haiti as an African country? Please.
Der Fish

Obviously i am not talking geography.

Racially, culturally we are a negro african country.

As for diseases, we share the same health issues as with the sub-continent.

We have a high HIV rate just like black africa...so DR and foreign evangelists should beware.

By not doing everything in its power to seal that border, DR would have only itself to blame.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Then how would all the Haitian Hookers get to the DR?????
AND, "Visa Versa"???????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Or should I say, ....... "No VISA Versa"??????

Aug 6, 2006

That is why it is extremely important that DR seals that border to protect its people and its tourist industry.

=================================================================
Haiti is a Caribbean country that has had the misfortune to have acquired some diseases from Africa, and has not had the resources to eliminate them upon arrival.

Perhaps "sealing the border" would be a good idea, but I question that a border can be sealed against diseases that travel inside mosquitoes. I can't imagine how any border could be sealed, anywhere. It is amazing to hear people advocating that the US/Mexico border should be sealed. Obviously, they have never even seen pictures of the border at El Paso/Cd. Juarez, Laredo/Nuevo Laredo or McAllen/Reynosa. I think a Himalayan mountain range might come close to accomplishing a sealed border, but I do not see this as possible.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Dominicans just like to "SAY" they don't want the Haitians here, but they DO like them here.
They do the dirty work that Dominicans won't, and at "Slave Labor" prices.
Who do they think built the stupid, overpriced, needless "METRO", and EVERY apartment building :surprised:surprised:surprised:surprised:surprised:surprised ????????????????????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Aug 6, 2006
I suggest that no border can be effectively sealed, no matter how desireable that this might be. I do not think that it is entirely possible to prevent a virus from Pitcairn's Island from eventually infecting someone in Bhutan, or vice versa.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros

There will be new and easier to catch diseases in the future.

E___0092EN00SIGT.gif

Yeah right...

Keep it up! Maybe one Day you'll get your wish...

huron007

Dec 16, 2013
Dominicans just like to "SAY" they don't want the Haitians here, but they DO like them here.
They do the dirty work that Dominicans won't, and at "Slave Labor" prices.
Who do they think built the stupid, overpriced, needless "METRO", and EVERY apartment building :surprised:surprised:surprised:surprised:surprised:surprised ????????????????????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

To be the best you have to copy from the best.

11578324584_ae1ca7583c_m.jpg

GWOZOZO

Bronze
Dec 7, 2011

=================================================================
Haiti is a Caribbean country that has had the misfortune to have acquired some diseases from Africa, and has not had the resources to eliminate them upon arrival.

Perhaps "sealing the border" would be a good idea, but I question that a border can be sealed against diseases that travel inside mosquitoes. I can't imagine how any border could be sealed, anywhere. It is amazing to hear people advocating that the US/Mexico border should be sealed. Obviously, they have never even seen pictures of the border at El Paso/Cd. Juarez, Laredo/Nuevo Laredo or McAllen/Reynosa. I think a Himalayan mountain range might come close to accomplishing a sealed border, but I do not see this as possible.

USA/Mexico is a different situation.

DR/Haiti border is much shorter.

In addition, Haitians can easily be identified from Dominicans...so those that do make it in can easily be captured and deported.

Stop issuing visas to haitian so called students and visitors.

All it takes is the will.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
Easily identified cos as one knows haitians wear a necklace made of chicken heads at all times. ( wheras mexicans take off their sombreos to cross the boarder and thus much harder to recognise-- sneaky!! ).