Gap Year in DR - Adventure Time

RonChalant

Dec 31, 2012
Planning on moving to the DR for a year vacation from "life" to finally get some adventure in my life.
I have been to the DR once for about 10 days, somehow managed to spend $3500 between my girlfriend and I, but most likely was do to trying to keep her entertained (girlfirends smh).

This time around I plan on paying 6 month rent upfront and HOPEFULLY living pretty cheaply for about 6 months (i now i said gap YEAR but i'm a broke college student)

Now the fun part...i speak NO SPANISH except for a few curse words. Was thinking about getting a place in Puerto Plata, Sosua, or Caberete, but to many hookers and seems to cliche'...i want to experience way more than just the touristic areas like the ones i mentioned. Thinking about Santiago, but seeing as I speak no spanish (though I am looking to pick it up...a bit) I feel like that might not be such a good idea. Either way as I am looking for an adventure (my 10 days there was a hell of an exp. lol) so I feel like that comes with it.

Input no matter how negative, is greatly appreciated.

Sosua is best because of the amount of englishspeaking locals and expats.

So if you dont like it here, then you move on to another place. Try to avoid paying 6months in advance, it could be you dont like it in that apt, and i dont belive you will get our deposit back.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
The best place for you to start is Jarabacoa. Many things to do and not as expensive as the beach towns. Enough expats to speak English to and the locals are very friendly so you can learn your espanish.

Aug 6, 2006
There are excellent Spanish language programs for English speakers available at under $80. Learn vocabulary with flashcards.

I would think that Santiago or some less touristy town might suit you better, and certainly would be cheaper. Montecristi, Azua, Jarabacoa, Macoris, San Jos? de Ocoa, San Juan de la Maguana come to mind. You will find that this will be cheaper and you will be seen as a rather exotic guy as opposed to an exploitable gringo. And learn some Spanish, it is really essential. As Anatole France said "to learn a language is to gain a soul."

The better you can communicate with people, the more you will learn about people.

To start off with, those pocket translators can be quite useful, and they are cheap online.

RonChalant

Dec 31, 2012
There are excellent Spanish language programs for English speakers available at under $80. Learn vocabulary with flashcards.

I would think that Santiago or some less touristy town might suit you better, and certainly would be cheaper. Montecristi, Azua, Jarabacoa, Macoris, San Jos? de Ocoa, San Juan de la Maguana come to mind. You will find that this will be cheaper and you will be seen as a rather exotic guy as opposed to an exploitable gringo. And learn some Spanish, it is really essential. As Anatole France said "to learn a language is to gain a soul."

The better you can communicate with people, the more you will learn about people.

To start off with, those pocket translators can be quite useful, and they are cheap online.

lol i don't know if i'll ness. be seen as exotic since for the most part i bent in pretty well with the Dominicans being that I am african american (black)...until someone speaks in spanish to me and I have that "deer caught in headlight" look in my eye because i have no clue whats being said. Jarabacoa was one of the places I considered, is it more of a "city like" area. I was in Nagua for a bit when I drove to Las Terennas back in March and it seemed....interesting for a lack of better words, but also didn't peg me as a place where much english was spoken eventhough my point IS to mingle with the locals and actually learn a bit while I explore, but at the same time feel lilke a slight safety net would be a good thing to have

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Nagua is much larger than Jarabacoa. Not a tourist city, Nagua but a city yes. Jarabacoa more of a small town feel. Learn the language.

RonChalant

Dec 31, 2012
Nagua is much larger than Jarabacoa. Not a tourist city, Nagua but a city yes. Jarabacoa more of a small town feel. Learn the language.

I think I may fair better starting of in a "small town feel" kind of area until I learn the language a BIT more. where is a good place to look for rentals in the area. Doing Google searched but really only finding vacation rentals that cost way more than I am willing to put out at this point.

And about these spanish courses for $80 or so, how would I go about finding those as well, Google also failing me at locating those as well =(

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Trust me, the fact that you're not Dominican will be very clear to Dominicans in the DR. When I first visted the DR I fell in love; in love with the people, the country, the beaches, you get the idea. On my first visit, I was ready to become an expat and hook up with my Dominican gf for the rest of my life, find a job there, and make great love until they wheeled my dead carcass to SDQ. Fortunately, I didn't spend as much as you. I ran out of money and gf moved on to the next opportunity. I'm Afro-American too, and thought I'd found paradise. But as many have said here before, there's a big difference between visiting the DR and actually living there. One vacation to paradise is not enough. Especially if your adventure is in the tourists destinations. I have found DR life to be very different in places like Barahona, Limon on the Samana Peninsula, Rio San Juan, Cabrera, etc., smaller towns that don't have a large expat community. You would do well to learn to speak Spanish, and not rely on gfs interpreting for you. Enjoy the DR. Its a beautiful country and populated by some equally beautiful people. But, take your time to learn the DR and watch your wallet. To many Dominicans, you are another gringo, AA or white. with a pocket full of money.

Aug 6, 2006
I think I may fair better starting of in a "small town feel" kind of area until I learn the language a BIT more. where is a good place to look for rentals in the area. Doing Google searched but really only finding vacation rentals that cost way more than I am willing to put out at this point.

And about these spanish courses for $80 or so, how would I go about finding those as well, Google also failing me at locating those as well =(
==========================================

I taught Spanish, mostly in college, for 40 years, but the programs have changed since I retired. Here are some possibilities.

First, free is everyone's favorite price. sign up for duolingo at Duolingo | Learn Spanish, French, German, Portuguese, Italian and English for free Select Spanish.
There was once a professor named Pimsleur, and he was quite effective, as was Berlitz. However, those doing business under Pimsleur's name, in my opinion do not really use his methods, and their materials are not worth what they charge. Mostly, they sell a cheap set of CDs that are useful for learning pronunciation at best.

Rosetta Stone is hugely expensive, but you might be able to snag a copy online at Amazon, e bay, or locally at craigslist.org. I have not used Rosetta Stone, but it has some pretty good reviews. You will find reviews at amazon.com and in PCmag.com amd other places. Used software is generally as good as new software. Lots of people buy it and receive these programs as gits and never open the box. Learning a language does take effort.
Instant Immersion Spanish is a good program and not expensive.

Remaindered college textbooks can be bought for a song after the new edition comes out. I used Mosaicos, and it had some discs with it, and is an excellent textbook. Do not worry about the quality of an out of print Spanish textbook, the language has not changed much in the last 20 years.

Do a search on Spanish programs software reviews. Amazon, ebay and craigslist are all good places to look for learning materials.

The hardest part is not learning how to ask questions, it is in understanding the answers. If you find some who wants to learn English, then you can get some books and teach one another as conversational practice.

I suggest asking in cheap hotels (normally they have no websites) for weekly or monthly rates. After you choose where you want to live, then you can look for some sort of apt with a kitchen and a refri or whatever you consider adequate.

You can find cheap hotels in the Rough Guide to the Dominican Republic. You can find a wealth of info on this website as well.

As an American, you will probably have a better education than most of the locals and more money as well.

Buena suerte.
\
If you pm me, I can give you more help if you want.

RonChalant

Dec 31, 2012
Trust me, the fact that you're not Dominican will be very clear to Dominicans in the DR. When I first visted the DR I fell in love; in love with the people, the country, the beaches, you get the idea. On my first visit, I was ready to become an expat and hook up with my Dominican gf for the rest of my life, find a job there, and make great love until they wheeled my dead carcass to SDQ. Fortunately, I didn't spend as much as you. I ran out of money and gf moved on to the next opportunity. I'm Afro-American too, and thought I'd found paradise. But as many have said here before, there's a big difference between visiting the DR and actually living there. One vacation to paradise is not enough. Especially if your adventure is in the tourists destinations. I have found DR life to be very different in places like Barahona, Limon on the Samana Peninsula, Rio San Juan, Cabrera, etc., smaller towns that don't have a large expat community. You would do well to learn to speak Spanish, and not rely on gfs interpreting for you. Enjoy the DR. Its a beautiful country and populated by some equally beautiful people. But, take your time to learn the DR and watch your wallet. To many Dominicans, you are another gringo, AA or white. with a pocket full of money.

what part do you currently live in

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Forgive me for not including this disclaimer: I do not, nor will I ever, live in the DR. Fifteen years, three to four times each year, have taught me better. I will continue to visit. But, as I said, many here will tell you, many who have made the move and live or have lived in the DR, visiting and living in the DR are very different experiences. Having said that, IF I ever change my mind, I'll set up residence in Las Terranas or Samana. A footnote: I have several friends who spend the winter there and have primary residence in the US. As I approach retirement, that sounds like a fantastic way to go, especially now as the temps in Philly dip into the mid-twenties.

RonChalant

Dec 31, 2012
because it's "cheap" and close to home should anything go wrong.
Plus I enjoyed myself and can't see any where else other than south east asia that would be as cheap to live for an extended period of time. looked into south america also but, I think the DR is a good enough distance away for a 6 month vacation

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Plus I enjoyed myself and can't see any where else other than south east asia that would be as cheap to live for an extended period of time. looked into south america also but, I think the DR is a good enough distance away for a 6 month vacation

This country is about as adventurous as a dentist's waiting room.

Cut the apron strings and go to Africa, India, Brazil or Usuaia for example. You will learn little of interesting indigenous lifestyles here and there are no wild animals to speak of.
Kenya or Tanzania for example, are cheaper and far more exciting....

but a long way to run to Mummy...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

mexico is also cheap and just as close to home and offers much more for a gap year youngling than DR. this country is boring and hardly provides enough entertainment for 2 weeks holiday, let alone 6 months...
alternatively, if you are not really into adventurous why not try jamaica? it's just like DR but with pot. and people speak english.

Aug 6, 2006
I lived in Mexico off and on for a total of three years in grad school, and have visited most of the states. It is true that Mexico has more places to visit, because it is a much, much larger country. Some parts of Mexico are unsafe, including most border towns these days. I have visited the DR nine times since the 1970's and have not found it boring at all. Mexico has some spectacular Aztec and Maya sites in the Central part and in the Southeast, respectively. I would say that if you have a good guidebook, Mexico might be slightly cheaper, but I have found that Mexicans are less approachable than Dominicans and sneakier. Some, not even most, Mexicans are deceitful and tricky, but Dominicans are such terrible liars that those who are trying to trick you are pretty easy to spot. By and large, I would say that Dominicans have fewer hangups and are more honest than Mexicans. Both countries have beautiful scenery. I have never seen a nicer beach than the beach at Las Terrenas or a prettier coastline than you can see between Barahona and Pedernales.

I would not rule out Mexico. A Black American would stand out more in a crowd in Mexico than in the DR, of course. There are only a few Black people in Mexico, near Veracruz and around Acapulco. If you do not speak Spanish, of course, people will know that you are not a local.

If you are really, really into nature, try Belize. I would not stroll about at night in Belize City, but the rest of the country is friendly and safe, and most people speak English. There are not a lot of people in Belize, but nearly everyone is friendly.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:

First of all, where are you coming from? Being a "broke" student does not bode well to be able to afford to be in the DR for 6 months? Without any language skills you will be at a serious disadvantage. You will use the few swear words that you know in Spanish when you get ripped off. That being said, what is your budget for monthly housing and also for food? Have you thought about transportation, the cost of a cell phone in the DR and other factors? You really don't sound like you have thought this through. Being on vacation in an all inclusive is a lot different than day to day life.

LTSteve

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
Jarabacoa's an excellent start. Recommend you start with a downtown hotel for a day and look around for a week's rental. Rent a bike. Oasis Paraiso Hotel is a little out of town but quite reasonable.

Definitely do not plop down a bundle on a 6 month rental.

Better spend a few weeks in each of widely different places east, west, north and south: e.g., Jarabacoa, then towns without puta tourism like Sabaneta de Santiago Rodriquez (best), Cotui, Manzanillo (Pepillo Salcedo), etc. Given a single day at a cheap hotel in such towns you will surely find a reasonable weekly rental, even with private families.

For city life, besides a week in Santiago (de rigueur), you can stuff in a few break days in one or two of the puta paradises (Sosua, Cabarete, Boca Chica, SD, PoP . . .).

You should for sure do the Berlitzian Spanish before you come, or have Rosetta Stone with you. Spend every breakfast at a local cafeteria pouring long over a DR newspaper cover to cover (Caribe simplest, Listin Diario best language). You'll not only pick up your Spanish, buy maybe someone else as well.

RonChalant

Dec 31, 2012
This country is about as adventurous as a dentist's waiting room.

Cut the apron strings and go to Africa, India, Brazil or Usuaia for example. You will learn little of interesting indigenous lifestyles here and there are no wild animals to speak of.
Kenya or Tanzania for example, are cheaper and far more exciting....

but a long way to run to Mummy...

when i say adventure i mean throwing caution to the wind and putting myself in a situation where i have to figure my way through n my own. that and trekking through the woods though I'm sure there are points where that might not be a good idea.

mexico is also cheap and just as close to home and offers much more for a gap year youngling than DR. this country is boring and hardly provides enough entertainment for 2 weeks holiday, let alone 6 months...
alternatively, if you are not really into adventurous why not try jamaica? it's just like DR but with pot. and people speak english.

unfortunately I'm trying to get a security clearance so i can get a gov't job when i graduate so going to Jamaica wouldn't be a good idea because I might fall back into my old weed smoking ways lol but def. was a choice of mine. I heard its dangerous down there as an American, but at the same time I heard the same thing about the DR and aside from a random run-in with a horse and buggy ride in Santiago (long story), i felt pretty safe overall in DR so who knows.

I lived in Mexico off and on for a total of three years in grad school, and have visited most of the states. It is true that Mexico has more places to visit, because it is a much, much larger country. Some parts of Mexico are unsafe, including most border towns these days. I have visited the DR nine times since the 1970's and have not found it boring at all. Mexico has some spectacular Aztec and Maya sites in the Central part and in the Southeast, respectively. I would say that if you have a good guidebook, Mexico might be slightly cheaper, but I have found that Mexicans are less approachable than Dominicans and sneakier. Some, not even most, Mexicans are deceitful and tricky, but Dominicans are such terrible liars that those who are trying to trick you are pretty easy to spot. By and large, I would say that Dominicans have fewer hangups and are more honest than Mexicans. Both countries have beautiful scenery. I have never seen a nicer beach than the beach at Las Terrenas or a prettier coastline than you can see between Barahona and Pedernales.

I would not rule out Mexico. A Black American would stand out more in a crowd in Mexico than in the DR, of course. There are only a few Black people in Mexico, near Veracruz and around Acapulco. If you do not speak Spanish, of course, people will know that you are not a local.

If you are really, really into nature, try Belize. I would not stroll about at night in Belize City, but the rest of the country is friendly and safe, and most people speak English. There are not a lot of people in Belize, but nearly everyone is friendly.

Something about Mexico just doesn't really do it for me. Just seems boring in general. I've been to Belize on a cruise before (hate cruises) and didn't seem like much was going on there even though multiple people say the same thing about DR, but Belize also didn't strike me as somewhere I just HAD to experience again.

Hi:

First of all, where are you coming from? Being a "broke" student does not bode well to be able to afford to be in the DR for 6 months? Without any language skills you will be at a serious disadvantage. You will use the few swear words that you know in Spanish when you get ripped off. That being said, what is your budget for monthly housing and also for food? Have you thought about transportation, the cost of a cell phone in the DR and other factors? You really don't sound like you have thought this through. Being on vacation in an all inclusive is a lot different than day to day life.

LTSteve

I gues "broke college student" is subjective. I work and go to school full time, pull in around $45k living in the states which is DECENT, but I've gotten pretty good with saving money. I've found a number of places that I could rent by the month in the $250-400 range but after a little bit more research think I will take it down to a 3 month trip instead just so I don't blow my entire savings up. As far as transportation I'd figure that out when I got down there but would have money stored at home in case that got out of hand but once I found a place worth staying, ideally I could just take rides when needed (safely of course) i'll be the first to admit I have FULLY thought it out which is why I am still planning and putting this off until Sept. or so. Also I didn't stay in an all inclusive, rented a house in Las Terrenas and Sosua for a few days at a time and had to either cook our own food or go out to eat...don't really like all inclusives...if I go somewhere i want to exp. the country not the resort.