SDQ 5am flight..when should I arrive?

Elucidaisy

Dec 26, 2013
Hello,

I have flown to the DR a number of times, but my flight back to the U.S. has never left at 5am over the holidays. I am spending the night before with friends in the capital..about how early should I get to the airport with one checked bag? Do any veterans have some input?

Thanks in advance.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Between 3 AM and 3:15 AM should be more than adequate. There is no line at security at that time at all.

Apr 13, 2011
Between 3 AM and 3:15 AM should be more than adequate. There is no line at security at that time at all.

Completely agree. Two hours before will be plenty of time. I have done the 5am flight before at SDQ. I got there two hours before because that is what you are "supposed" to do for international flights. There was absolutely no line and so I had over an hour and a half to kill... Two hours before will be enough time even if you did go through the line to check a bag.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
I like the early flights and always try to be at the airport at least 2 hours prior to departure.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
What airline are you flying?

Why is this relevant ?
You need to be @ the check in counter 1:45-2 hours prior to your flight.

If a charter flight with 200 sunburnt fatties on it is ahead of you waiting to clear security, it could take a hour. Better to have 1/2 hour extra to drink overpriced frias @ the gate, than to rush.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Leave some time before EDT..... technically, they can close the flight however many minutes ahead of that.... and they will do if its overbooked.... you, then , will be SOL

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Better to get there earlier than later. This time of year the airline are very busy, especially gone from SD to NYC. Remember you ususally board about 20 minutes before the flight time so I wouldn't get to the check-in any later than 3:30 AM. Good luck. If you can check in on line 24 hrs before flight leaves.

LTSteve

Aug 6, 2006
Should you wish to get there the previous evening, the SDQ airport is a safe place to spend the night. You can sit around the various food places on the ground floor and occasionally strike up a conversation with some locals waiting for relatives to arrive from Europe. The chairs are not all that comfortable, though. There are several more food court places on the upper deck. Lots of room to hang around and wait.

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
Little know fact - If you do not check your bag in before 1 hour prior to departure the system will not accept your baggage.
You may be able to travel but your bag will not go.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I take the Jet Blue 4 am flight to Boston.
I have no checked baggage, so I can bypass the line, just walk past all the Dominicans who are having their 22 overweight bags weighed before they get to the ticket counter.
You can get right up to the head of the line that way!
Often the immigration people are not there to get to the gate area, so you STILL have to wait.
I like to be first to have my carry on checked, pass immigration, and get a seat at the gate near the boarding ramp.
I pay extra to Jet Blue for an "Extra Leg Room Seat" so I board first!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
If you are going to the U.S. you and your bags must be checked in at least one hour before the airplane departs the gate. The airline has to send a copy of the manifest to homeland security an hour before departure regardless of how long the flight is. Arriving at the airport one hour before the check in deadline is usually sufficient. If your airline is running departures to more than one destination at around the same time and you are still stuck in line as the deadline approaches, the check-in people will usually call you out of line to make sure you are accommodated. (usually) You then have an hour to go through security and then immigration. Security is usually pretty quick. Immigration depends on how many agents are on duty. As pointed out in a previous post, there is always the chance of a charter to somewhere screwing up the works. Thompson airlines runs a large airbus to someplace in central America (Panama, I think) around 5:00AM. Anyway......the short answer is to try to get to the airport two hours before the flight. Better to be bored than anxious.