Liquor prices

Beach_Brute

Dec 26, 2013
Hello all

I will be in DR in April of next year for my wedding. We will be having it a Resteraunt. We would like to have appleton rum to serve to our guests, but from the impression I get from the owners, it will be very expensive. How much in us currency does a typical bottle of appleton rum cost in punta cana (26oz). I would also like to know the typical price of a 26oz bottle of brutal as well. Just regular bottles, nothing aged.

Any help is appreciated

Thank you

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Alcohol prices are just about as they are in The US and actually cheaper sometimes, depending on what it is you're buying. I agree with Hlywud as you should be able to find at least one Dominican rum you like (There are many), but if you're set on Appleton then you can either buy it at the duty free or just go to a liquor store or a large supermarket and they may carry it and if they do it won't be much more expensive than the prices you get in other countries. If you let the restaurant supply it then they will overcharge you of course.

mikol

Jul 1, 2010
You can find one of the best dominican rums (Barcelo Imperial) for around 16 USD.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i would stick to dominican rums, they are cheaper, easily available and come in large variety. brugal, barcelo, bermudez, macorix and many more will give you many options, from 151 (for cocktails), white, aged and even flavoured (macorix makes very decent flavoured rums).

a 0.7 bottle will cost you, in a shop, from about 300 pesos upwards, depending on what you pick up. if i were you i would talk to a restaurant owners and arrange for food and refrescos from them while you provide your own alcohol. it can be done. our wedding was in a restaurant and we brought our own alcohol. a shop may also offer you a better price if making a purchase by a box rather than by a bottle.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
BOX means a case of 12 bottles..... negotiate a better price by the case

never seen Appleton here..... now if you were marrying in Jamaica...... on the Appleton Estate, you'd be in clover

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Go with a DR rum, Barcelo which is made in Santo Domingo or Brugal made in Puerta Plata. Both are very good quality and the prices on rum are very reasonable because of this fact. With this pricing you can afford to step up to a much better quality rum made by either of these two companies. If you are drinking it straight up or over ice with lime than you would want a sipping rum of very good quality. If you are mixing it for Rum & Cokes or Jack and Coke than standard quality will be fine. By all means don't insult the restaurant owner by insisting on rum from Jamacia vs. the DR.

LTSTeve

Beach_Brute

Dec 26, 2013
It's no insult to the Dominican rum at all. I actually quite like Dominican rum. I have many bottles of it, and drink it regularly. However I have many family members who are of Jamaican decent, and I know they will like to have their appleton.

I plan to leave the Dominican rum options on the bar menu. Considering this is a destination wedding and having a smaller group of guests, I would like to have an option I know that many will like

That's why I inquired about the price to buy it locally.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
If you contact La Sirena, they will make special orders for you.

They have a website, though I don't know where their closest store might be in Punta Cana.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If you contact La Sirena, they will make special orders for you.

They have a website, though I don't know where their closest store might be in Punta Cana.

They have a Super Pola in Bavaro at the San Juan Mall, that is La Sirena. But I doubt you will get the right time over there, let alone a deal.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I haver never seen it..... but perhaps, just perhaps, in SD you might find it, but I doubt it will be easy.

As gauche as it sounds, you might ask your Jamaican friends to bring it and you can settle up w/ them.
Fast/easy solution ......

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Appleton is a Jamaican brand, IIRC. As mentioned above, you'll find comparable Dominican brands cheaper and more plentiful in DR than the imports.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Don't you think that Jamaicans have enough of their own rum at home? I would never order Canadian stuff when on Holiday!

Again with the Canadian, OMG!
I don't talk about hot dog's and baseball or OBAMA, LOL!
Do you have a Maple leaf tatoo on your thang?

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010

I have a Bruins tattoo on my thang, and it says...

Boston Bruins, home of the 2011 Stanley cup champions, (With all the players names spread out vertically) HEEEEEEE HAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Appleton and Pickapeppa are both on my shopping list when I get over to Jamaica.

I have seen Pick-a-Peppa in either Nacional or Playero, no recuerdo, great sauce on chuletas, yummmmmm.

I cooked pollo jalfrezi tonight.

Again with the Canadian, OMG!
I don't talk about hot dog's and baseball or OBAMA, LOL!

Yup Maple leaf Tat on my hand. Have you been to Vancouver? You may understand if you visit!

I just think it is odd to have people go on vacay and make sure they have the rum of their Country at a wedding when they will be going home in a week and can drink it then!

You may notice me mentioning Canada in every post now!