Thompson air lines

flopsy

Jul 6, 2010
Does anybody have a flight schedule direct to Manchester, one way and prices. Have been on the site but can't get any sense out of it. Thank you in advance

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
You man have to go to talk to them at their office here in the DR, or go to the airport and ask to see the price on a stand by ticket. Most charter airlines won't sell tickets online and one-way that don't originate from their home country. They sell stand by at the office or airport, and for your criteria you won't get anything online from Thompson.
You can try cheaptickets.com or cheapflights.com/uk

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
Thompson will not sell one way tickets anymore and buying a 2 way ticket and only using the return will not work anymore either because if the southbound or arrival portion is not used the ticket is cancelled

For a one way ticket directly back to the UK only BA will sell you a ticket as it is considered a commercial airline while Thompson is a chartered airline

BA flies from Punta Cana and maybe Las Americas ( not sure of this though )

wait......Thomas Cook still sells northbound, return tickets I think to the UK and they still fly from Punta Cana

flopsy

Jul 6, 2010
Thompson

Thompson will not sell one way tickets anymore and buying a 2 way ticket and only using the return will not work anymore either because if the southbound or arrival portion is not used the ticket is cancelled

For a one way ticket directly back to the UK only BA will sell you a ticket as it is considered a commercial airline while Thompson is a chartered airline

BA flies from Punta Cana and maybe Las Americas ( not sure of this though )

wait......Thomas Cook still sells northbound, return tickets I think to the UK and they still fly from Punta Cana

Thank you, wow they don't make it easy to go back home :(

flopsy

Jul 6, 2010
Does anybody know, is it still Tuesday and Thursday Thompson flight desk is open to Manchester. Thanks hopefully in advance.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Thank you, wow they don't make it easy to go back home :(

I would still go to the airport and ask an agent there to see if they still sell stand-by tickets....that's the cheapest way to get back.....If not then you will need to book online with another carrier

flopsy

Jul 6, 2010
Thompson

I would still go to the airport and ask an agent there to see if they still sell stand-by tickets....that's the cheapest way to get back.....If not then you will need to book online with another carrier

Thank you, just going to have to get ourselves down to the checkout desk and hope Thompson are there. Thank you folks once again

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I have not been able to get a Thomson ticket originating in the DR for a long time, but I have only tried to go from Puerto Plata. There used to be a friendly contact who could swing it, but he left the company. As another poster said, Air Berlin could be a good bet, but it's a long journey via Germany.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Call Thomson UK 011 44 2476282228 Tell them that you have an emergency and they will assist you in a one way ticket from Puerto Plata to Manchester, you have to pay for it over the phone with a credit card and, whatever they tell you on the phone, you cannot pay for it at the airport! They won't sell you a return though.

flopsy

Jul 6, 2010
Call Thomson UK 011 44 2476282228 Tell them that you have an emergency and they will assist you in a one way ticket from Puerto Plata to Manchester, you have to pay for it over the phone with a credit card and, whatever they tell you on the phone, you cannot pay for it at the airport! They won't sell you a return though.

Thank you so much :)

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
Thank you so much :)

I'd be really interested to know if you had any success with this.

Another alternative that I have used is Arkefly from Puerto Plata to Amsterdam. Arkefly is part of TUI, the same group as Thomson, so I don't really understand why they can sell returns and Thomson can't but it is a half way reasonable option because you can then go from Amsterdam to your nearest local airport in the UK.

Feb 7, 2007

This should be an extinct practice, hopefully, in 2015. The new amendments to pax rights is outlined here
REPORT on the proposal for a regulation of the European Parliament and of the Council amending Regulation (EC) No 261/2004 establishing common rules on compensation and assistance to passengers in the event of denied boarding and of cancellation or l
look for Amendment 5 recital 7.

The first draft was approved by European Parliament first reading early Feb 2014. Let's just hope this all goes through fine and this becomes law. It should allow pax to take advantage of lower prices by doing (currently frowned upon) reverse throwaway ticketing and also hidden city ticketing.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I think that Thomson only just wants to sell Package holidays (hotel and flight)

That's not quite true. They are more than happy to fill their planes with flight-only passengers and you can book on their website - they just won't let you book flights originating here in the DR.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
These are very old numbers and I don't know if they still work but they were POP contacts for these airlines:

Thomas Cook: 809 320 0611

Thomson Fly: 809 710 2371

As someone mentioned the cheapest way is to turn up at the airport for standby ticket. There is usually room for one person, must have cash in USD to pay at the desk.

I think Condor airline also sells return ticket online to Frankfurt (and then to UK) for a sure booking, but their prices are ridiculously high...

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
any update on this?
A friend of mine says he has managed to buy a return from the UK and has cancelled the outbound so that he can use the return from Pop to London?.despite what others have said here.

I personally am sick to death of flying home to the UK via germany so would appreciate any more tips.
Black Dog's suggestion of spinning the sob story is ok, but a bit last minute.

I want to travel back to the UK at the end of may and would ideally like to know fairly soon, when i can travel.

Last edited:

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
I hope he doesn't get a nasty surprise when he tries to use the ticket at the airport. I would love to fly direct, too, but would hate to be turned back at the last minute. I wrote to the director of Customer Services at Thomson as I was tired of receiving so many different answers from call centre staff and he gave a definitive no on any flights from this end, whether single or return. I still have someone making enquries but have just booked through Arkefly for Amsterdam. It's a pain but I prefer that to New York and I, too, need to know a while in advance as my dates are pretty fixed.

If I find out any more I will update.